I'll just entertain myself

izzythepush

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2022 07:57 am
@edgarblythe,
Isn't that May sometime?

I was in Austin on your Mother's Day.

Ours is in March and originally didn't refer to one's mother, but the mother church. The building you worshipped in when you a kid, that's where you were supposed to go back to on that date.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2022 08:07 am
@izzythepush,
It's May 8. I think fathers day is the week before. My wife gets noticed but fathers day gets skipped over for me. Not complaining. I don't mind, just stating a fact. I don't make a fuss over such stuff more than I have to so they likely figure they are following my wishes. I am secure in knowing they love me.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2022 08:23 am
@edgarblythe,
No, your Father's is the same as ours being a greetings card holiday, it's in June.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2022 08:28 am
@izzythepush,
Okay. I googled it just now because I saw a reference to it a couple of days ago that misled me. Thanks for noticing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2022 09:11 pm
Well we've come to air condition weather. It's going to be a long old hot summer.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2022 08:39 am
My next door neighbor told me a friend of hers takes our unusually windy weather as an omen: a deadly hurricane will strike this year. Now she is on edge, speaking as if she is about to become homeless. When I told her that I had that morning seen on TV a forecast of more such storms than normal, she waved a hand dismissively. "They just say things," she said.
Ragman

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2022 06:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
Fear can make people say and do peculiar things. Though they do try to hype the ‘news’ to get ‘passive people’ to respond by preparing or evacuating.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2022 07:44 pm
@Ragman,
Yeah, we aren't even in the season yet. I do fear a hurricane, especially accompanying tornadoes. But it's not a given my area will get even a small one. I'm thinking to see if the apartments I once worked for will put me up in a vacancy for a day or two. Something we did when Ike gave us hell.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2022 09:21 am
Nice warm day for walking. WE have to feed the big goose well off the trail because it has taken to attacking those who would walk past. My greatest fun is the birds. Came home and picked up street trash. Now I'm ready to relax a bit. Might even nap since I got up pretty early.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2022 12:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
Next to New Orleans you guys seem to targeted the most by the currents that steer tropical storms and hurricanes. 🌀

I better keep my voice down because we’re on the Gulf and are in between the trouble zones. They either go north of us, south towards the Keys and Miami or inland up the center of FL and out towards the Panhandle and Pensacola.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2022 12:38 pm
@Ragman,
I love the Gulf waters.
Ragman

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2022 12:44 pm
@glitterbag,
Me too! After a lifetime of beaching it in the frigid Atlantic where the water is too cold until mid June and ends being swimmable around the 3rd week of August. No to mention waves that’ll slap you down. At least the Gulf waters of so FL aren’t too violent in normal weather.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2022 03:22 pm
@Ragman,
Where I love the Gulf the most is in and around Corpus Christi. In the summer there is always a constant breeze and it just makes you feel good.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2022 12:55 pm
I'm going to take a nap now.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2022 06:38 pm
I've written a short piece on atheism - my interpretation - but the thread I wrote it for is no place to get serious these days. I will withhold the piece until I see a better spot for it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2022 12:53 pm
I've written extensively of a bunch occupying the neighboring house just the other side of the water company (mine borders water company property). They recently abandoned the place, leaving a huge load of trash by the street edge. An older man told my wife that he was going to haul the trash away so that a friend of his could rent there for $450 per month. Close to two weeks later he hasn't been around. Last week I heard an explosion from there so went to see if the new occupant had killed himself. I peeked through a gap in the fence left by a broken off picket top and there was a roaring fire in the middle of the yard. I assume something on the fire made the loud boom. I could get a panorama view of most of the yard from that vantage point. Unbelievable.

There was trash and garbage, some of it nearly waist high, lining all of the fence that I could see. I walked back and met my neighbor from the other side, who had also come out to look. As we talked the fire increased in size and billowed black smoke. Shortly after, the fire department came and put it out.

This morning as I prepared the morning coffee there was another loud noise from there. I looked from my porch and saw that the wooden fence had fallen flat on all sides. I didn't see anybody but I don't see how it could have let loose like that on its own. Right now a truck is there and someone is sorting out what they deem useful but so far not touching the garbage or the fence.

I tried online to learn the property owner but failed. If no move is made to clean it up there will be no choice but to involve the authorities. I had been hesitating because the man we spoke with made it sound like his friend desperately needed the place.
Mame

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2022 01:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
You live in an exciting neighbourhood, edgar. What with the crazy dogs, the nasty neighbours, the trash you pick up daily, and now this mysterious house and it's goings-on. Nothing happens in my neighbourhood unless you count my 80 year old neighbour who sweeps the sidewalks every single day, whether they need it or not. You should see her when it snows! I love your neighbourhood stories Smile
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2022 01:07 pm
@Mame,
I don't love living them. Laughing
Mame

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2022 01:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
You could craft a story about that house Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2022 01:14 pm
I may have neglected to mention that somebody dumped a couch just out of range of the camera. Then it was set afire. If that had been done anytime but spring I think a catastrophe might have occurred. The bushes burned deeply inside the stand of growth. If all was dry it could have ignited the strip of brush and pine trees lining the street for a good distance. When I picked up the trash the couch remains fit well into my garbage can.