I'll just entertain myself

Mame

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 09:17 am
@izzythepush,
lol... how is he perceived over there?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 09:29 am
@Mame,
It depends on who you ask. Some people like him, but a lot of us consider him an annoying little that.

His mockney ersatz demeanour puts a lot of people off.

Mark Lamarr referred to him as our Special Needs Chef whi h is fair enough considering he has never read a book in his entire life.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 09:39 am
I don't have any more viable story ideas for the owl contest. Back to rewriting Leaving Texas, where I left Straight Eye sitting atop a pony with a noose around her neck (over horse stealing).
izzythepush

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 09:46 am
@edgarblythe,
How about this? My youngest son got a soap on a rope in his Christmas stocking in the shape of an owl.

We have just opened it, so for the past couple of days I've had an owl looking at me when I'm in the bath.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 09:53 am
@edgarblythe,
I can't post links but if you go on youtube and search fast show owl sketch you should be amused.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 10:17 am
I'm pretty sure you mean this one? Funny.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 10:46 am
@edgarblythe,
Yes. I thought you'd like it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 12:15 pm
High winds are messing with the electricity. We've lost internet already once due to having to reboot after a light flicker.
coluber2001

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 02:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
It was unbelievably windy in Dallas last night, and cold. It should let up tonight.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 02:26 pm
@coluber2001,
It would be beautiful out there if the wind would quit.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 11:11 pm
On the first page of Leaving Texas, I have Mexican Red pausing before the Alamo on coming to San Antone. He registers his disgust with men like Jim Bowie and William B Travis for owning slaves. Hopes the Alamo will be forgotten. Then rides on down Commerce Street. To me it's not editorializing but marking an aspect of his character. I wonder if anyone disagrees with me about this since I'm writing a simple oater, nothing deep or special.
BillW

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 11:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
On the 1st page? Well, yes - it would be editorializing from page 1 and it is deep and special. A good number of people would be put off enough to stop reading and everyone would expect for the book to continue in the same vain; regardless of if you do or not. IMHO
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 11:22 pm
@BillW,
Red is an outlaw, but he's educated and a sort of Robin Hood to many.
BillW

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 12:20 am
@edgarblythe,
A very nice protagonist profile!
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 12:23 am
@BillW,
He's a son of a Mexican Indian woman and a red headed Scott.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 10:07 am
I've posed the question elsewhere, to people I respect. I likely will heed the majority opinion.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 02:26 pm
It was unanimous. I altered the paragraph to take out the edge.
BillW

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 08:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think it is important. It gives the character moral honor. I do believe also that it should occur within a.action event. Such as uncovering a ranch where illegal slavery is being conducted.

I take it the time event is "modern". You could have the ranch being run by a high authority in government who is using children that are not being allowed entry into the USA working on his farms.

Then you can introduce why, in the past, he is so adverse to slavery (maybe with a flashback) and his current action to rectify this occurrence.

Of course, now this becomes a minor event in the book, but it should!
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 08:55 pm
@BillW,
The action is 1875 at the same time Quannah Parker is on his way to Oklahoma to farm. I've done a tad for race in the Mexican Red stories anyway. For instance a man with a trading post is married to a woman half black, half Indian and he clearly adores her. Or one where in a shooting contest the townsmen don't want a young man to participate for being Mexican, but they can't exclude Mexicans without telling Red's cousin and they fear the consequences -

BillW

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 09:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
OK, I thought it was a modern time of a cowboy.