I'll just entertain myself

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2022 02:16 pm
I've written about the dog across the street. I call him Ralph. He's on a chain these days. He used to come to me for head pats and would walk with me to the mailbox. But he became too possessive over the space in front of his home and began harassing pedestrians and bicycle riders. He bit my friend who was walking to the mailbox daily - three separate times. He called the police all three times but the dog is still there. The last bite did something to him so that he walks with crutches now. I know his best recourse was to go to a doctor immediately and then either go to the people and work something out or else to sue them. Instead he's treating himself.
Albuquerque

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2022 03:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
I might be on the wrong here but it seems to me that dog might be in distress and having a progressive decline in mental health for some unknown reason that push it over having a more aggressive territorial behaviour.

...from my own experience and observations it is my understanding that communication between humans and their pets (understanding animal psychology) is lacklustre to put it mildly...
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2022 05:48 pm
@Albuquerque,
This dog was very young when they got him. He was turned out in the yard with no training and no companionship that I could see. He had to make up his own rules. He's beautiful and looks properly fed.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2022 09:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Bob Dylan is one of the great songwriters. But lately I think his new lyrics are too disjointed to be considered great. He's been getting awards for Time out of Mind, for instance. Maybe being sung it is good, but reading the lines sans music I don't get much out of it. As one of his long time fans it's painful to acknowledge.

His current singing is painful to listen too. He garbles everything. I haven't listen to him for about 5 years now.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2022 10:07 pm
@BillW,
I went to his performance in the Astrodome at the rodeo. I couldn't take it and left by the end of the first song.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2022 11:44 pm
https://robertreich.substack.com/p/todays-jobs-report-should-cause-alarm?fbclid=IwAR0KQGd13_oF0wcvVEfk1O7KE-Uw_ngIFv8Eys2eTvW-O9seeGDKPmpSFng
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2022 10:11 am
The publishing industry has a loose set of guidelines that define writing based on length:
- Micro-Fiction: <100 words
- Flash Fiction: 100-1K words
- Short Story: 1K-7,500 words
- Novelette: 7,500 - 20K words
- Novella: 20K - 50K words
- Novel: 50K-100K words
- Epic: 110K+ words
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2022 11:42 pm
Rain and tornado warnings have been the order of the day. It was mostly to the east of us but now it's closer to home. I don't feel that endangered yet, but I got dressed just in case.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2022 12:21 am
@edgarblythe,
They've canceled the warnings and it's quiet out there. Bedtime.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2022 03:25 pm
Robert Durst died today. I won't say more, except it was 78 years overdue.
Ragman

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2022 08:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
Luckily, I’d never heard of him prior to your post. I just read up on him. What an utter POS! He was one mad mofo!
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2022 09:06 pm
@Ragman,
They let him get by with that for a long time before they finally threw away the key.
Ragman

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2022 09:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
What kind of justice system do we have?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2022 11:21 pm
I'm pretty sure Soylent Green's setting is the year 2022.
BillW

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2022 11:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
A good reason to be cremated!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2022 09:02 am
Horror movies tend to put me to sleep. Sometimes one is a good source of hilarity.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2022 10:00 am
@edgarblythe,
What about ghost stories?

The BBC latest offering the Mezzotint is only half an hour long.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2022 11:24 am
@izzythepush,
Ghosts stories are too predictable.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2022 11:29 am
@edgarblythe,
The Signalman by Dickens is quite good.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2022 11:37 am
@edgarblythe,
I think it depends on the writer, Dickens is ery good, as is MR James who wrote the Mezzotint.

A good ghost story should be short, about half an hour is about right.