I'll just entertain myself

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2021 07:27 pm
The man I wrote of passed today. He had not been feeling well, but he went to the hospital for an injury to his leg. When he arrived they found out right away he had Covid and admitted him. Now that I am at a pretty advanced age, I lose so many friends and family that I take it in stride and wish them as easy a passing as possible. We will have a service for him in Tomball soon, don't know the day yet.
BillW

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2021 07:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
My condolences - sometimes I wonder where this disease may lead, then I just stop. I don't really want to know. I do know that there are a bunch of people I care not to categorize who believe this is a way to get rid of a bunch of old and poor. Enough bad thoughts for now.
roger

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2021 08:00 pm
@BillW,
If I weren't so old, I might agree with them.
BillW

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2021 08:24 pm
@roger,
There was a movie in 1976 - Logan's Run, where everyone dies at 30. I was 26 and thought maybe there was some point to it, but the age should be say 50 or 60.........

Yeah, I hear you Roger!
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2021 08:40 pm
@BillW,
I saw Logan's Run when I was dating my soon to be wife.
BillW

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2021 09:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
Never did see it, just remember its synopsis. Did we Soylent Green, that was a hoot. But, it also helped to prevent me from seeing Logan's Run. Didn't care for the way they presented these movies.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2021 09:03 pm
@BillW,
I enjoyed both movies but don't consider them classics.
BillW

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2021 09:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think that for me I am not particularly partial to dystopian sets. I think we are in a dystopian world right now.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2021 10:05 pm
@BillW,
I watch old westerns and certain favorites from the past. Mostly I don't like the new movies. I plan to give a watch to Dune eventually and Clint Eastwood's latest.
BillW

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2021 10:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
I have been waiting a lifetime for a good Dune movie!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2021 06:36 pm
Every year I buy the mixed nuts for sale in my supermarket. Every year I promise myself to never do it again. They always seem like the leftovers from last year. The meat is too often shriveled, inedible, in a good portion of them. Another downside, you get mostly walnuts, filberts and almonds. Very few Brazil nuts or pecans. I bought two bags this time, each from a different company, each with identical results. NUTS.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2021 07:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
Referring to nuts in shells of course.
edgarblythe wrote:

Every year I buy the mixed nuts for sale in my supermarket. Every year I promise myself to never do it again. They always seem like the leftovers from last year. The meat is too often shriveled, inedible, in a good portion of them. Another downside, you get mostly walnuts, filberts and almonds. Very few Brazil nuts or pecans. I bought two bags this time, each from a different company, each with identical results. NUTS.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2021 07:36 am
Leonard: “I published a novel, Beautiful Losers, which got a lot of stunning reviews, but I couldn't even pay the rent. In hindsight it seems like the height of folly -- you know, I'll take care of my financial problem by becoming a singer. But I got ambushed in New York by the so-called folk song renaissance that was going on there. It did take care of the financial problem, actually.” -- Stolen Moments, 1988
Leonard Cohen
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2021 07:42 am
@edgarblythe,
I thought you'd get a lot of pecans living in Texas.

We don't tend to get them in mixed bags over here and the only time I've seen them in their shells waswhenI was in America.

If I'm cooking and the recipe calls for pecans I usually use walnuts, they're half the price.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2021 08:55 am
They mostly have nuts in the shell at Christmas and Thanksgiving. Mostly I buy in a bag. As a rule I eat a few walnuts every day and I eat one or two Brazil nuts every day. A variety of seeds. The Brazils are for selenium.
Pecans are generally overpriced so I don't get many.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2021 12:30 pm
On this side of the state, pecans are sold roadside along the pecan orchards running down the side of the Rio Grande.

https://www.google.com/maps/@31.6423555,-106.257761,3a,56.1y,177.71h,86.62t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8HEOiDMDjoOi_NQtszAiQw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

You may have to copy and paste the whole link.
BillW

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2021 12:46 pm
@InfraBlue,
There are a lot of places around that you can go and harvest your own pecans giving back a percentage of your "find" to the owner. They will then crack your nuts for you so you only have to pick the pecan meat out from the shells.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2021 01:08 pm
I used to do contract work for a 90+ year old man. He was no law enforcement agent but he somehow got a badge. He would flash it at people taking the pecans that fell off of his tree onto the sidewalk. He kept as many as he could for himself.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2021 01:29 pm
@InfraBlue,
I suppose some of the upmarket supermarkets might stock the I their shells around Christmas but other than that in the baking ingredients section or in packet of mixed salted, "gourmet " nuts.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2021 02:46 pm
I don't think I have any nut trees on my property, I'm not located in the lowlands. If I did, the black walnut is most likely. There are a large number of them in the lowlands around me.

Kinda wish I had some, but the nuts are next to impossible to crack. When accomplished, the nuts are often broken into very small pieces and embedded in shell fragments.