I'll just entertain myself

Mame

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2021 08:08 pm
@glitterbag,
You're apparently way too reasonable and rational, Ragman.

The things people do to each other! Unbelievably sad.

And who knows what the stepdad went through as a youth. A lot of times, this is cyclical, unending perpetuation of what they grew up with. Not a defence, but perhaps an explanation.

Some people just can't get past their past. Or just don't have what it takes to do so.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2021 08:13 pm
@Mame,
The man had a miserable childhood among people who were also assholes. I recall Mom begging him for money to buy Christmas gifts. His answer: "I never got anything for Christmas. I don't see why they should.

I recall watching his mother sitting on the couch by her old maid daughter watching TV. About once every minute she would reach over and pinch her daughter. The daughter would squirm, beg her to quit. Repeatedly.

The daughter was institutionalized once a year. When she hid the silverware under her pillow they knew to call the authorities.
Mame

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2021 08:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yeah, see... it's just so sad that it gets perpetuated. I've seen this in my life through various jobs. But... another person would not be inclined to continue that or be beaten by it. He was just weak. So who is responsible, as if that matters, and how far back do you go? No answer to that, is there? So, just be glad you recognized it and chose a different path.

I'm wondering where your mother was and how she felt during all this.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2021 08:34 pm
@Mame,
He had her intimidated. She stayed out of the way.
Mame

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2021 09:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
yep, gotcha. of course.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2021 11:19 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2021 09:31 am
Park walking. Two times in a row there were no squirrels coming out for my nuts. Normally they mob me at a couple of points. Either all are hiding because of the boy scouts camping this week or the park has done its periodic poisoning to rid us of so many. Not going to guess, but continue with the routine. The last time they were poisoned we never regained black and red ones. Just the standard grey. I did give nuts to cardinals and blue jays.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2021 12:40 pm
“I think the saddest people always try their hardest to make other people happy, because they know what it’s like to feel absolutely worthless, and they don’t want anyone else to feel like that.”

- Robin Williams (1951-2014)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2021 01:59 pm
I am on pins and needles as they say waiting for the verdict for Derek Chauvin.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2021 02:06 pm
Just saw it.

Chauvin gets 22 1/2 years in prison for George Floyd’s death
Ragman

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2021 02:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
IMHO, The only good possibility is if he gets no parole.

I wish they could have hung him, though. After his sentence, as it was intended, is complete and he gets released, he’ll still be a racist scum.bag.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2021 03:39 pm
If only it would have triggered a meaningful change in the system.

Ragman

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2021 05:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
I hear that. How is cold blooded murder any different or less heinous than when a policeman does it?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2021 05:10 pm
I predict, and place your bets, people, that he either gets offed or he hangs himself in the next 5 years .

Prison is NOT a place to be, especially if you're an ex-cop.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2021 05:38 pm
@Mame,
Maybe. I was thinking they would find a protected space for him.
Mame

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2021 07:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
not forever, though. And if the guards don't like him - game over.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2021 07:46 pm
@Mame,
Like everything else in the case there just aren't that many precedents to go by, as I see it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2021 11:19 pm
After Hurricane Ike we went weeks with no electric and no running water. When finally we spotted a restaurant that had finally reopened we went there. The food was old and actually atrocious, but we were so grateful for a meal cooked on a stove that we loved it. Today, after a year of staying away, we returned to that same restaurant. There were less than a dozen tables in use. I don't see how they continue to operate if on a Friday that's how busy they are. True to form (this happens more often than not) the waitress gave me the wrong order. It was close enough and I ate it just as readily. Glasses of iced tea. Later I had to drink a little baking soda. I don't consider the pandemic over, and we will try to be careful. But it was nice to get out again.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2021 10:01 am
Out of the clear blue my youngest daughter hired a crew to clean up my yard. I have always just mowed and done minimal raking. I left alone the perimeters, esp at the fence, to help keep away vandals and to keep dogs from digging in or out. They finished a first phase out of two scheduled the other day. I have to say, it looks pretty nice. 29 years ago, I encouraged the nearly dead lawn back to life. Eventually I decided it just wasn't worth it and quit caring for the grass and stopped watering. My newest philosophy became If it needs too much care let it die. Many plants are surprisingly resilient left on their own. I never prune or water the roses as an instance. Yet they are tall and flowering. The grass? It is nearing a state of lushness only well cared for grass should expect.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2021 12:34 pm
Running the Pluto channels I came across Catch 22 fairly early in the film, so let it play. When the movie was new I still had strong recall of the novel, so was disappointed in this interpretation. But, now, it seems much better. I like it now. This story is much more than an anti war story. It encapsulates not just war, but capitalism, human relations - so many subtleties. I am surprised it gets shown still. Most stories exposing the system sort of vanish.