I'll just entertain myself

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 May, 2022 01:41 pm
My neighbor had her roof coated and sold me the leftover. It might cover my entire roof. So over the next several days I expect to get up there and at first experiment with what works best and then roll the **** out of it.
Ragman

Reply Mon 16 May, 2022 04:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
Please stay safe no matter how you do it.

OTOH, I can understand NOT wanting to hire a roofer considering how many rip-off outfits there are:l everywhere.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 May, 2022 05:05 pm
@Ragman,
I used to sell and install roof jobs for years. If I be careful I should be okay. It's a small roof.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 May, 2022 09:40 pm
It's worrisome that the annual dust from the Sahara will be in Houston's air later this month and last a couple of months. Sometimes it gets pretty heavy and sometimes it isn't a problem.
Ragman

Reply Tue 17 May, 2022 07:03 am
@edgarblythe,
Especially when you’re doing your roof.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 May, 2022 07:36 am
@Ragman,
i may have to delay. Time isn't on my side. Going out in a bit to experiment with the stuff I just got before making full application. Her roof is beautiful. You can't see mine from the ground. Mainly I need to learn how much rust converter I may need.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 17 May, 2022 08:04 am
@edgarblythe,
It's something that happens now and then here, my car gets covered in orange dust.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 May, 2022 08:08 am
We get smoke and dust from many quarters - smoke from central or South America, ash from volcanos (Mt Saint Helens we did) - not sure what all comes here to compete with the industrial pollution.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 May, 2022 12:11 pm
So I filled a big coffee can with the magic roof coating and brushed it all in on a section with seams, a roof jack and an end wraparound. Tomorrow I will inspect it. If all goes well I intend to get it all on Thursday.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 May, 2022 03:46 pm
Spent the afternoon with my daughter. In a week she will move to Colorado. She has the perfect husband. Sad to see them leave, glad to see them making moves to enjoy their life.

I just checked my roof and it's a go for tomorrow. Yippee.
Mame

Reply Wed 18 May, 2022 05:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
We are having a windstorm here. Thunder and perhaps snow predicted for tonight so I covered up my seedlings and will see how they survive. Don't know about the tomato plant! The wind picked up a heavy pottery jug and blew it off the table. It's now in smithereens. Thank goodness it was a $.50 buy at a garage sale.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 May, 2022 08:21 pm
@Mame,
Unpredictable weather incidents, seems to me. I have just a short window to get the roof done. Aside from impending Sahara dust, starting this weekend, there are four potentially rainy days. I don't try to grow vegetables because of not much direct sun.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 19 May, 2022 12:59 am
@edgarblythe,
We had the sahara dust storm last night.

It chucked it down.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 May, 2022 05:15 am
@izzythepush,
I just googled this headline:
YOU SHOULD KNOW: Saharan Dust to arrive in East Texas this weekend
izzythepush

Reply Thu 19 May, 2022 05:18 am
@edgarblythe,
It was supposed to give us blood red rain but I didn't see any of it, and the car wasn't covered in rusty coloured dirt this morning like it usually is after a Sahara visit.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 May, 2022 05:28 am
@izzythepush,
Heavy rain is predicted over the weekend. That with the dust is hard to figure a result. Got to paint roof today and if necessary finish tomorrow.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 19 May, 2022 10:07 am
I have been feeding birds and squirrels in my backyard the last couple of years. I have about 7 dozen on some days. It's a lovely sight to behold. One year I had dozens of teeny mice - so cute!
izzythepush

Reply Thu 19 May, 2022 11:55 am
@Mame,
Ae had to stop the car today as a whole gaggle of geese and hoslings crossed the road to get in the Itchen.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 May, 2022 01:18 pm
@Mame,
When I fed the squirrels and birds in my own yard the squirrels decided I was so nice they wanted to live with me. They made a hole that let them in the attic and another entrance on the side. They are the reason I put concrete siding on.

I used up the roof paint she sold me and had to buy a can extra to finish. She told me they were $81 but tax made it nearly 90. I got more than half finished. Tomorrow I should be able to get the rest.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 May, 2022 01:54 pm
The original tin roof is the part I painted. The porch and addition i once put along the entire front is asphalt roofing. It would have been dangerous and certainly counterproductive to walk on the tin roof. I was able to paint over half while standing on the addition. Had to work several feet at a time off a ladder in back, going up from the edge nearly four feet. Then back on top of the addition and extending my roller poll to about thirteen or fourteen feet in length to get the remaining strip. That's likely the last time I do a project up there, although in an emergency I will certainly go up to remove debris or stop new leaks.
0 Replies