Coronavirus

Walter Hinteler

Mon 12 Jul, 2021 12:53 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
It was politicized when progressives started blaming Mr. Trump for the pandemic and denying his key role in developing the vaccines.
You might be correct: too many neglect Trump's great achievements on developing messenger ribonucleic acid (mRNA).
Mame

Mon 12 Jul, 2021 02:26 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Laughing
oralloy

Mon 12 Jul, 2021 02:31 pm
Shame on you two for politicizing the vaccine and perpetuating the pandemic.
0 Replies

Glennn

Mon 12 Jul, 2021 02:45 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
How does it feel to take part in a campaign that is resulting in unneeded deaths?

Bill, you forgot to put some content into your post.

So, why did the CDC begin turning the PCR-test cycle threshold down to 28 instead of the previous 40 . . . but only for the vaccinated?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Mon 12 Jul, 2021 03:44 pm
Quote:
Anti-vaxx nurse dies from COVID-19 in Louisiana

Olivia Guidry, a registered nurse in the emergency department at Ochsner Lafayette General,
died Saturday after being hospitalized for the coronavirus in the intensive care unit.

"This vaccine has been released using recombinant DNA technology faster than any vaccine in
the world," Guidry posted on July 26, 2020. "It manipulates your DNA at the tiniest molecular
level. Do. Not. Get. It. It's not safe."

She also questioned pandemic safety measures and retweeted another account calling covid
tests fake.

"Am I the only one thinking they are trying to see how much they can control us???" she posted
July 11, 2020. "We are a straight up social experiment."

Both of Guidry's parents are currently ill with the coronavirus...
(rawstory)
Mame

Mon 12 Jul, 2021 04:50 pm
@Region Philbis,
Yep, that goes along with my post. If I were in charge of HR at that hospital (or on the board), no unvaccinated staff would be allowed to be at the hospital. Be a great opportunity to clean out all the idiots.
BillRM

Mon 12 Jul, 2021 05:17 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I think that is the sad part. This should never have become politicized. Who pandemic in the US would be over now if people have just gotten their vaccinations when they were available.

Hell if the idea of wearing masks had not been attack before the shots came online by the same idiots hundreds of thousands more of us would be alive also.
edgarblythe

Mon 12 Jul, 2021 05:45 pm
@Mame,
In Houston over a hundred nurses were fired for refusing shots.
Mame

Mon 12 Jul, 2021 05:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
Good for them. If they don't understand the science, and what else did they study for 4 years, then they should be fired. You shouldn't be allowed to be a hazard while on duty, wherever it might be - hospital, restaurant, library, bus driver...
BillRM

Mon 12 Jul, 2021 06:27 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Good for them. If they don't understand the science, and what else did they study for 4 years, then they should be fired. You shouldn't be allowed to be a hazard while on duty, wherever it might be - hospital, restaurant, library, bus driver...

Could not agree more.

People who have the skill to convince people not to get the shots have killed more people indirectly then your average serous killer and there is a right to protect the public from anyone who had buy into their nonsense as you do not have the right to put others at risk due to your false believes.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Mon 12 Jul, 2021 10:49 pm
@Glennn,
I still think you should check out this thread, https://able2know.org/topic/557001-1 ...................You keep asking other posters why they don't answer your questions with the answer you want to hear. I'm telling you why it happens. It's ok that you don't like the way I addressed your method of treating other members, but I'm not stalking you...hell, no-one is stalking you. You have legitimate points to make, it's just too bad you cloud it up with personal indignation. However, I suspect you are so angry about 'something' you are not really interested in discussion, you just want to scold other members in an attempt to lance that boil.

And it's fine with me that you don't think I have anything worthwhile to say, I don't have Daddy issues and I post what I want, when I want........as do you.
glitterbag

Mon 12 Jul, 2021 10:51 pm
@Mame,
Ditto
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 13 Jul, 2021 04:52 am
Three Studies, One Result: Vaccines Point the Way Out of the Pandemic

New scientific research underscores the effectiveness of vaccines and their versatility in the fight against the coronavirus.

Quote:
Three scientific studies released on Monday offered fresh evidence that widely used vaccines will continue to protect people against the coronavirus for long periods, possibly for years, and can be adapted to fortify the immune system still further if needed.

Most people immunized with the mRNA vaccines may not need boosters, one study found, so long as the virus and its variants do not evolve much beyond their current forms — which is not guaranteed. Mix-and-match vaccination shows promise, a second study found, and booster shots of one widely used vaccine, if they are required, greatly enhance immunity, according to a third report.

Scientists had worried that the immunity conferred by vaccines might quickly wane or that they might somehow be outrun by a rapidly evolving virus. Together, the findings renew optimism that the tools needed to end the pandemic are already at hand, despite the rise of contagious new variants now setting off surges around the globe.

“It’s nice to see that the vaccines are recapitulating what we’ve also seen with natural infection,” said Marion Pepper, an immunologist at the University of Washington in Seattle.

Deepta Bhattacharya, an immunologist at the University of Arizona, said, “Remember all that stuff at the beginning where people were panicking over antibodies vanishing?” With all the good news now, he said, “it’s hard for me to see how and why we would need boosters of the same thing every six to nine months.”

The coronavirus may be evolving, but so are the body’s defenders. In a study published in the journal Nature, researchers discovered that the vaccines made by Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna set off a persistent immune reaction in the body that may protect against the coronavirus for years, in part because important immune cells continue to develop for longer than thought.

Ali Ellebedy, an immunologist at Washington University in St. Louis, and his colleagues reported last month that immunity might last for years, possibly a lifetime, in people who were infected with the coronavirus and later vaccinated.

But it was unclear whether vaccination alone might have a similarly long-lasting effect.

In the new study, his team found that 15 weeks after the first vaccination, immune cells in the body were still organizing — becoming increasingly sophisticated and learning to recognize a growing set of viral genetic sequences.

The longer these cells have to practice, the more likely they are to thwart variants of the coronavirus that may emerge. The results suggest that the vast majority of vaccinated people will be protected over the long term — at least, against the existing coronavirus variants.

Older adults, people with weak immune systems and those who take drugs that suppress immunity nonetheless may need boosters. But people who survived Covid-19 and were later immunized may never need additional shots, because their immune responses seem to be particularly powerful.

The study looked at mRNA vaccines and did not consider the vaccines made by Johnson & Johnson or AstraZeneca. Dr. Ellebedy said he expected the immune responses produced by those vaccines to be less durable than those produced by mRNA vaccines.

New research suggests that a mix-and-match approach may work as efficiently. People who have had a dose of the Johnson & Johnson or AstraZeneca vaccines may do well to opt for an mRNA vaccine as the second dose.

In a British vaccine study published on Monday, volunteers produced high levels of antibodies and immune cells after getting one dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine and one dose of the AstraZeneca shot.

Administering the vaccines in either order is likely to provide potent protection, Dr. Matthew Snape, a vaccine expert at the University of Oxford, said at a news conference on Monday. “Any of these schedules, I think could be argued, would be expected to be effective,” he said.

Dr. Snape and his colleagues began the trial, called Com-COV, in February. In the first wave of the study, they gave 830 volunteers one of four combinations of vaccines. Some got two doses of either Pfizer-BioNTech or AstraZeneca, both of which have been shown to be effective against Covid-19. Others got a dose of AstraZeneca followed by one of Pfizer, or vice versa.

Those who got two doses of Pfizer-BioNTech produced levels of antibodies about 10 times greater than in those who got two doses of AstraZeneca. Volunteers who got Pfizer-BioNTech followed by AstraZeneca produced antibody levels about five times greater than in those who received two doses of AstraZeneca.

And volunteers who got AstraZeneca followed by Pfizer-BioNTech reached antibody levels about as great as in those who got two doses of Pfizer-BioNTech.

Another promising result came when the researchers looked at levels of immune cells primed to attack the coronavirus. Mixing the vaccines produced higher levels of the cells than two doses of the same vaccine.

Dr. Snape said it wasn’t clear yet why mixing brought that advantage: “It’s very intriguing, let’s say that much,”

Dr. Snape and his colleagues have begun another similar mixing trial, including vaccines from Moderna and Novavax on the list of possibilities. But he stopped short of recommending a routine mix-and-match strategy. For now, he said, the best course of action remains getting two doses of the same vaccine.

Large clinical trials have clearly demonstrated that this strategy reduces the chances of getting Covid-19. “Your default should be what is proven to work,” Dr. Snape said.

But for many people, that may not always be possible. Vaccine shipments are sometimes delayed because of manufacturing problems, for example. Younger people in some countries have been advised not to get a second dose of AstraZeneca, because of concerns about the small risk of developing blood clots.

In such situations, it’s important to know whether people can switch to another vaccine for a second dose. “This provides reassuring evidence that should work,” Dr. Snape said.

Despite the encouraging news that most people may not need boosters of mRNA vaccines, there may be some circumstances in which third shots are needed. So vaccine manufacturers have been testing booster doses that could be deployed just in case.

The results make for good news. Researchers reported on Monday that a third dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine generated a strong immune response in clinical trial volunteers.

Ninety study volunteers in Britain were among the first to receive the shots in a clinical trial last year. This past March, they were given a third dose, roughly 30 weeks after their second. Laboratory analyses showed that the third dose raised antibody levels to a point higher than seen even a month after their second dose — an encouraging sign that a third shot should provide new protection even if the potency of the first two doses were to wane.

The study was posted online in a preliminary preprint form, but has not yet been peer-reviewed nor published in a scientific journal.

“We do have to be in a position where we could boost, if it turned out that was necessary,” Andrew Pollard, an Oxford University vaccine researcher, said at a news briefing on Monday. “I think we have encouraging data in this preprint to show that boosters could be used and would be effective at boosting the immune response.”

But if booster shots are deemed necessary in the coming months, availability could be severely limited, especially in poorer countries that are lacking enough supply to give even first doses to their most vulnerable citizens.

Earlier this month, the National Institutes of Health announced that it had begun a new clinical trial of people fully vaccinated with any of the three authorized vaccines in the United States. The goal is to test whether a booster shot of the vaccine made by Moderna will increase antibodies against the virus. Initial results are expected later this summer.

The AstraZeneca vaccine has won authorization in 80 countries since last December but is not approved for use in the United States, which already has more than enough doses of three other authorized vaccines to meet demand.

nyt
Glennn

Tue 13 Jul, 2021 05:19 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
but I'm not stalking you

There, again.
glitterbag

Tue 13 Jul, 2021 07:52 pm
@Glennn,
OK, you win, I must be stalking you.........................................
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Wed 14 Jul, 2021 04:05 pm

the Delta variant infected unvaccinated are filling up hospitals all across the country, particularly in red states...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/13/us/us-covid-hot-spots-hospitals/index.html
BillRM

Thu 15 Jul, 2021 10:37 am
@Region Philbis,
I am n0t all that happy with myself but I can not help it of being amuse that the far right GOP members with special note of those in the Red states are committing mass suicide by not getting their Covid shots.

Too bad in many case they are taking their families with them however.
Mame

Thu 15 Jul, 2021 11:00 am
@BillRM,
Senate Republican Leaders Promote Vaccinations

Mitch McConnell, the Senate minority leader, and Senator Roy Blunt spoke on Tuesday about the slowing pace of vaccinations, calling on Americans to get inoculated in order to protect themselves and others.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/politics/100000007867242/republicans-mcconnell-coronavirus-vaccine.html
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Thu 15 Jul, 2021 12:22 pm
Quote:
Surgeon general warns of dangers of misinformation amid
misleading vaccine claims

"I am urging all Americans to help slow the spread of health misinformation during the COVID-19 pandemic
and beyond," Murthy wrote in a 22-page advisory released Thursday. "Health misinformation is a serious
threat to public health. It can cause confusion, sow mistrust, harm people's health, and undermine public
health efforts. Limiting the spread of health misinformation is a moral and civic imperative that will require
a whole-of-society effort."
~ Dr. Vivek Murthy
(cnn)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Thu 15 Jul, 2021 04:15 pm

going backwards...

L.A. County will require masks indoors amid alarming rise in Covid cases
(latimes)