8
   

Trump's Economy Pre-Virus Was Excellent

 
 
Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2020 10:41 am
https://www.thedailyworld.com/opinion/commentary-questions-on-trumps-economy-are-vexing-for-dems/

Excerpt:

After all, as varied online magazine articles point out, millions of jobs have been created under Trump and unemployment is the lowest in a half century, just 3.5 percent, which is essentially no unemployment; if you want a job, send an email or knock on a door. People who had given up hope and were sitting at home are getting back in the hunt. African-Americans have experienced their lowest unemployment in history, and people without college degrees have the lowest unemployment rate in nearly 20 years.
 
farmerman
 
  1  
Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2020 10:59 am
@Brandon9000,
He can thank Obama every day he wakens.
maxdancona
 
  1  
Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2020 11:18 am
@Brandon9000,
I agree with this. Trump has every right to claim a great economy after 3 years of his presidency. The data supports it.

I have no problem saying that some things went well under Trump. I have even agreed with some things he has said.

Let's judge Trump based on the facts. The economy was fine. The covid response was a disaster.

0 Replies
 
McGentrix
 
  0  
Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2020 12:55 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

He can thank Obama every day he wakens.


For giving him a **** economy to turn around?
hightor
 
  1  
Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2020 12:59 pm
Sure, the economy was humming along — as the national debt was growing, workplaces became more dangerous, and clean air and water laws were scrapped. The question is, so what? Government has more responsibilities than simply keeping the engines of growth running at top speed. Preserving the welfare of its citizens is right up there. To excuse Trump because we once had a decent economy but then a pesky pandemic arrived is special pleading. The virus isn't a "hoax". It's a catastrophic natural event, like a hurricane or an earthquake, and Trump doesn't get a pass because he gave us a tax cut and lots of low wage workers had jobs. Those workers are now unemployed, possibly even homeless. His response to the pandemic has been abysmal.
0 Replies
 
hightor
 
  1  
Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2020 01:03 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
For giving him a **** economy to turn around?

It wasn't a "**** economy". It was an economy slowly recovering and gradually picking up steam:
Quote:
The economy grew just shy of 1 percent in Obama’s first term when the Great Recession took its toll. Growth improved to 2.3 percent in Obama’s second term. Under Trump, the economy is on track to average slightly above zero in his first term because of the sharp losses from the pandemic.

Excluding 2020, growth in Trump’s initial three years in office was 2.5 percent — barely above Obama and well below the growth under the Clinton, Reagan and Johnson administrations.

wp
0 Replies
 
engineer
 
  1  
Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2020 01:39 pm
@McGentrix,
Here is a review of the Obama/Trump economic growth pre-Covid from Forbes.

Quote:
Exactly 11 years ago today, February 17, 2009, President Obama signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 or the Recovery Act into law. The $831 billion in spending kicked off the longest period of economic growth and job creation in American history.

Over a decade of economic growth

The National Bureau of Economic Research or NBER determines the length of economic expansions and recessions. The recent growth period started in July 2009 and has lasted for 127 months through January 2020. This surpasses the previous record of 120 months from March 1991 to March 2001, which then led into the Great Recession that Obama inherited.

Starting with the September 2009 quarter GDP growth has been positive every year since then. It ranged from 1.6% to 2.9% per year under Obama and from 2.3% to 2.9% under Trump.
farmerman
 
  0  
Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2020 01:43 pm
@engineer,
Its the job of the Trumpies to deny what happened in the darker years to get out and "Bury" the GREAT RECESSION with positive results.
Theyre only argument was "It wasnt such an astounding growth period."
2009 was mostly getting out of the hole

McGentrix
 
  2  
Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2020 04:11 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Its the job of the Trumpies to deny what happened in the darker years to get out and "Bury" the GREAT RECESSION with positive results.
Theyre only argument was "It wasnt such an astounding growth period."
2009 was mostly getting out of the hole


Says the guy that said this
farmerman wrote:

He can thank Obama every day he wakens.


You ever get tired of being a hypocrite? Unable to give anything to Trump.
maxdancona
 
  -2  
Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2020 05:55 pm
I can list a number of things where I agree with Trump or think Trump did the right thing. I can list a number of things where I disagree with Trump and think he did a horrible job.

I find it both funny and frustrating. People are here to complain about "Trump Derangement Syndrome" and whine about how liberal can't admit anything Trump did right. The same people are unable to admit the basic facts of the covid fiasco.

I suppose we are in such a divided country that this is expected. The facts don't matter... only which side you are on.

It is true that if Hillary were president now, she would get the credit for a good economy through three years (although some of us would point out that the president doesn't have that much to do with it). Trump deserves the same credit.

0 Replies
 
farmerman
 
  1  
Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2020 06:36 pm
@McGentrix,
reading comp McG. I think you can read it to mean that Trump can thank Obama each day for the economy that was handed over in Jan 2017.

Try to not become only about set-up lines and insult like the lovey, pinky and ollie pals.
farmerman
 
  1  
Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2020 06:41 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:

You ever get tired of being a hypocrite? Unable to give anything to Trump
Speaking hypocrisy , you guys have tried to deny that trump was handed an economy that was pretty much humming along. Trump's use of his idiotic superlatives about his regime seems to have stuck to you.
0 Replies
 
coldjoint
 
  3  
Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2020 11:56 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

reading comp McG. I think you can read it to mean that Trump can thank Obama each day for the economy that was handed over in Jan 2017.

Try to not become only about set-up lines and insult like the lovey, pinky and ollie pals.

You should try not to gossip when you can say those things directly to those people. I heard old ladies are supporting Biden, whats it look like to you?
farmerman
 
  0  
Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2020 05:17 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:
I heard old ladies are supporting Biden, whats it look like to you?



Amongst other demographics as well.
coldjoint
 
  2  
Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2020 01:54 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
I heard old ladies are supporting Biden, whats it look like to you?



Amongst other demographics as well.

I figured you had the inside track on old women being you habits are so similar.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Where is the US economy headed? - Discussion by au1929
The States Need Help - Discussion by Robert Gentel
Fiscal Cliff - Question by JPB
Let GM go Bankrupt - Discussion by Woiyo9
Sovereign debt - Question by JohnJD
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Trump's Economy Pre-Virus Was Excellent
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/23/2021 at 04:09:06