Vaccine versus COVID Treatment

gollum

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2021 03:46 pm
Do the people who refuse to receive the COVID vaccine and later become infected with COVID, then agree to receive the therapeutics for COVID?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,518 • Replies: 13
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by gollum
maxdancona
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2021 04:54 pm
@gollum,
I haven't seen the numbers on this, but I suspect the answer is yes. Wouldn't you?

If I were obviously sick with a potentially deadly disease, I would certainly want the anti-virals.

gollum

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2021 05:17 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona-

Yes, I certainly would.

That said, I don't understand the thinking of those people who refuse the vaccine and thus don't understand how such people decide about therapeutics.
oralloy

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2021 05:29 pm
A lot of these therapeutics only work if you take them at the first sign of symptoms, before the illness really takes hold.

If someone waits until they get bad enough to be hospitalized before they seek treatment, it will probably be too late for the therapeutics to help them.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2021 05:42 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

maxdancona-

Yes, I certainly would.

That said, I don't understand the thinking of those people who refuse the vaccine and thus don't understand how such people decide about therapeutics.

I have been vaccinated and boosted. That doesn't mean I can't understand the thinking of people who refuse the vaccine.

The chance of dying or contracting serious disease from covid even if you are vaccinated is very low. They aren't taking that much risk. Combine this with any number of factors; from a feeling that vaccinations are unnatural or a distrust of the government... and I can understand why someone might choose to not be vaccinated.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2021 05:46 pm
I can give a good example. I have unprotected sex (i.e. without a condom). This comes with a risk of contracting HIV/AIDS. I am in a monogamous relationship (which lowers the risk substantially), but there is always a risk. The CDC still recommends using a condom every time... advice that I willingly ignore. I understand the risk, and I accept it.

If I happen to contract AIDS, you better believe that I will take whatever anti-virals that are available.

Prevention and treatment are two very different things.
gollum

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2021 05:29 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona-

Understood. However, since you committed an act that you were told by the relevant authority was not recommended, should you then receive financial and medical support from the government to treat the result of your non-compliance?
maxdancona

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2021 06:09 am
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

maxdancona-

Understood. However, since you committed an act that you were told by the relevant authority was not recommended, should you then receive financial and medical support from the government to treat the result of your non-compliance?

The simple answer is Yes. I, or any AIDS sufferer, should receive financial and medical support to treat AIDS (as a result of my "non-compliance).

The more complex answer is that I have private health insurance with covers me when I am sick. It covered me for my mini-stroke (actually the great cost was the MRI and CAT scans looking for an bigger stroke) in spite of the fact that I am carrying some extra pounds and am not in the best shape. It will cover me for diabetes in spite of the fact I drink too much soft drinks. It will even cover me for skin cancer in spite of the fact that many years I got sunburns out of sheer negligence in not wearing sunscreen.

I believe that government should cover health care. But as long as I am getting healthcare from a private insurance company... yes they should cover me (or anyone else) who suffers from AIDS, or Covid, or a stroke or skin cancer or Lyme disease or any other preventable or not preventable disease.

Healthcare is for sick people. We don't judge patients on whether they deserve to be sick or not.
gollum

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2021 05:20 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona-

So some persons will act irresponsibly on the theory that they will not be required to pay the costs that result from that behavior. Rather, each of us will be assessed for his costs.

Perhaps the irresponsible people would act more responsibly if they were charged for the costs that result from that behavior.

I believe that health care costs are out of control. I think that societal payment for the costs of irresponsible individuals is part of the reason for it.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2021 09:26 am
@gollum,
So how far would you go....

Would you let the smokers die?
What about the fat people, or the people who don't exercise?
What about people who drink carbonated soft drinks?
Or the people who have sex outside of marriage?
Or people who jaywalk?

I can think of several things I do (or don't do) that put me at greater risk of disease, including still putting salt on my food (after the doctor told me not to).

Are you a responsible person gollum? I suspect that there aren't very many responsible people around if you think about it.
gollum

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2021 03:41 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona-

I would try to help people in need (e.g., smokers, fat people who don't exercise, people who drink soft drinks, adulterers, jaywalkers). I never said that I wouldn't do those things.

I think that I am a reasonably responsible person.

I think that the degree of responsibility in different people varies a great deal. What one observes may depend on in what circles one travels in.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2021 03:48 pm
@gollum,
So where do you draw the line between people who deserve healthcare and people who don't?
gollum

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2021 04:31 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona-

I would try to provide healthcare to those in need of it.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2021 05:53 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

maxdancona-

I would try to provide healthcare to those in need of it.

Agreed! That would include unvaccinated people suffering from covid, as well as people suffering from AIDS and skin cancer (diseases that are preventable). Come to think of it, most heart disease is causes by people not being responsible with their health.
0 Replies