Coronavirus

roger

Thu 15 Jul, 2021 04:47 pm
@Region Philbis,
I'm not in L.A. but that might just be advance warning for the rest of us.
glitterbag

Thu 15 Jul, 2021 05:31 pm
@roger,
Sighhhhhhh

I hope everyone will be careful, stay well everyone.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 15 Jul, 2021 07:57 pm
@BillRM,
I recall even here, that , as longr term studies were only being initiated (regarding masking to protect both wearers and the casual public) we had people here who naivly wre potentially assisting in the spread of th A/B variants by stating that no cientific vidence wa available (mostly because it was being reported via popular press)

I know of one anti-vaxxr who died from covid, (one of mycolleagues, in ohio a 2 pHD recipient with about 40 patents and over 100 techy paprs and 2 books to his name ). He was a loud anti vaxxer who sang baritone in a state chorale). He was stricken and declined very quickly (he had several co-morbidities inckudng asthma from years of smoking) . The day before he died he had a premonition and told his wife how stupid hed been on this disease. Not only were the old undeducated white men the aniti vaxxers, but quite a few who were educated highly but not educated enough to understand risk analyses in syndemics.
farmerman

Thu 15 Jul, 2021 08:01 pm
@hightor,
because of my heartcondition and hbp, i get my antibodies and t-cell numbers every 3 weeks (I have to pay for the testing becaue my insurance calls it "unwarranted overtesting")

Ive been informed this week that the insurance carriers have changed their position nd will announce same, soone.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 15 Jul, 2021 08:18 pm
Two of my relatives have had covid. Fortunately the cases were mild. One of them has since gotten the shots. Don't have information on the other.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 15 Jul, 2021 08:45 pm
People with qualifying conditions can be treated with monoclonal antibodies if they contract Covid (even if they have already been vaccinated).

Being over age 65 is a qualifying condition. So are younger ages with various health conditions. Here is the list of who qualifies:

https://combatcovid.hhs.gov/i-have-covid-19/how-do-i-know-if-im-high-risk

They make a big difference:

https://combatcovid.hhs.gov/i-have-covid-19-now/monoclonal-antibodies-high-risk-covid-19-positive-patients
0 Replies

emmanuelg

Thu 15 Jul, 2021 10:41 pm
@engineer,
This is not about politics, and this is how fast the government can act enough to protect its own people. Speed matters! Not ideology.
0 Replies

BillRM

Thu 15 Jul, 2021 11:18 pm
@farmerman,
Decades before Covid I had express the opinion that at the senior high school level there should be courses dealing with the handling of every day risks/benefits judgments
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Fri 16 Jul, 2021 11:02 am

what we have going now is a "pandemic of the unvaccinated"...
Walter Hinteler

Fri 16 Jul, 2021 01:09 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
what we have going now is a "pandemic of the unvaccinated"...

Most American adults live in blue states. Most unvaccinated adults live in red ones.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Fri 16 Jul, 2021 01:54 pm
Quote:
White House turns up heat on Big Tech's Covid 'disinformation dozen'

"There's about 12 people who are producing 65% of anti-vaccine misinformation on social media platforms,"
White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said Thursday.

That statistic is from the nonprofit Center for Countering Digital Hate (CCDH) which identified in a report
published in March about a dozen people it said were super-spreaders of anti-vaccine misinformation.

The CCDH had at the time called on Facebook and Twitter to shut down all pages run by those people.

Robert F. Kennedy Jr., a prominent figure in the anti-vaccine movement, is among the people whom the
CCDH said should be kicked off social media.

Kennedy's page on Facebook-owned Instagram was shut down earlier this year for sharing Covid-19
misinformation, Facebook said. However, Kennedy is still allowed on Facebook (FB) itself, and he has
more than 300,000 followers on the platform.
(cnn)
Mame

Fri 16 Jul, 2021 06:36 pm
@Region Philbis,
'Pandemic of the unvaccinated': COVID-19 deaths up 26% over previous week in U.S.

The delta variant of COVID-19 is now the dominant strain worldwide and is driving a surge of deaths around the United States, almost entirely among unvaccinated people, U.S. officials said Friday.

Cases of COVID-19 are up 70 per cent over the previous week and deaths are up 26 per cent, with most of the surge occurring in counties with below average vaccination rates, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Rochelle Walensky said during a news briefing.

"This is becoming a pandemic of the unvaccinated," Walensky said, adding that 97 per cent of people entering hospitals in the United States with COVID-19 are unvaccinated.

According to the officials, four states account for 40 per cent of the rise in cases, with Florida alone accounting for one in every five new national cases over the past week.

Along with Florida, Arkansas, Missouri, Louisiana and Nevada were cited as states that have seen significant increases in cases.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sat 17 Jul, 2021 01:25 pm
Majority of Covid misinformation came from 12 people, report finds
Quote:
The vast majority of Covid-19 anti-vaccine misinformation and conspiracy theories originated from just 12 people, a report by the Center for Countering Digital Hate (CCDH) cited by the White House this week found.

CCDH, a UK/US non-profit and non-governmental organization, found in March that these 12 online personalities they dubbed the “disinformation dozen” have a combined following of 59 million people across multiple social media platforms, with Facebook having the largest impact. CCDH analyzed 812,000 Facebook posts and tweets and found 65% came from the disinformation dozen. Vivek Murthy, US surgeon general, and Joe Biden focused on misinformation around vaccines this week as a driving force of the virus spreading.

On Facebook alone, the dozen are responsible for 73% of all anti-vaccine content, though the vaccines have been deemed safe and effective by the US government and its regulatory agencies. And 95% of the Covid misinformation reported on these platforms were not removed.

Among the dozen are physicians that have embraced pseudoscience, a bodybuilder, a wellness blogger, a religious zealot, and, most notably Robert F Kennedy Jr, the nephew of John F Kennedy who has also linked vaccines to autism and 5G broadband cellular networks to the coronavirus pandemic.

Kennedy was since removed from Instagram, which Facebook owns, but not from Facebook itself.

“Facebook, Google and Twitter have put policies into place to prevent the spread of vaccine misinformation; yet to date, all have failed to satisfactorily enforce those policies,” wrote CCDH’s CEO, Imran Ahmed, in the report. “All have been particularly ineffective at removing harmful and dangerous misinformation about coronavirus vaccines.”

Although platforms have since taken measures to remove many posts and even remove three of the 12 from one platform, the CCDH is calling on Facebook and Instagram, Twitter and YouTube to completely deplatform the disinformation dozen they believe are dangerous and instrumental in creating vaccine hesitancy at a crucial moment in the pandemic.

“Updated policies and statements hold little value unless they are strongly and consistently enforced,” the report said. “With the vast majority of harmful content being spread by a select number of accounts, removing those few most dangerous individuals and groups can significantly reduce the amount of disinformation being spread across platforms.”

0 Replies

hightor

Sat 17 Jul, 2021 02:39 pm
Delta Is Driving a Wedge Through Missouri

For America as a whole, the pandemic might be fading. For some communities, this year will be worse than last.
oralloy

Sat 17 Jul, 2021 02:42 pm
@hightor,
It's Joe Biden's fault. His lack of leadership means that people don't trust him or the vaccine.
BillRM

Sun 18 Jul, 2021 01:56 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

It's Joe Biden's fault. His lack of leadership means that people don't trust him or the vaccine.

Yes indeed they however trust Trump for some reason and still trust Trump for that matter.

I am coming to the conclusion that a large percent of the American people are far too stupid for us to have and maintain a working elected government.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 18 Jul, 2021 06:18 am
A clinical trial has been launched in the UKto detect currently invisible lung damage in people with long Covid, as part of a £20m research drive that scientists hope will end stigma around the condition.

UK trial aims to find hidden lung damage caused by long Covid
farmerman

Sun 18 Jul, 2021 06:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
starting to see a new spike in places like Missouri and Florida and , of which, ALL the deaths are among the unvaccinated.

There are some breakthrough infections but these, are,(OF THOSE INFECTED) are milder symptoms
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Mon 19 Jul, 2021 06:12 am

People unvaccinated against Covid-19 risk the most serious virus of their lives, expert says
(cnn)
0 Replies

engineer

Mon 19 Jul, 2021 07:12 am
Statistics show the stark risks of not getting vaccinated against COVID-19

Quote:
As top health officials warn that COVID-19 has become a "pandemic of the unvaccinated," recent figures from states and cities throughout the United States reveal the extent to which the virus is impacting people who are not fully inoculated.

A stark case in point: During June, every person who died of COVID-19 in Maryland was unvaccinated, according to a spokesperson for the governor's office. There were 130 people who died of COVID-19 in Maryland in June, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

New COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations were also predominantly among unvaccinated people, the state said, at 95% and 93% respectively.

Quote:
In Louisiana, 97% of the state's COVID-19 cases and deaths since February have been in unvaccinated people, Gov. John Bel Edwards said Friday. Between February and July, unvaccinated people in Louisiana were 20 times more likely to become infected with COVID-19, according to the state health department.

Quote:
In Alabama, over 96% of COVID-19 deaths since April 1 were in unvaccinated people, the state health department said on July 13, for 509 deaths out of 529 total.

Quote:
New York City Health Commissioner Dr. Dave Chokshi said the vaccines are "astonishingly effective" while sharing that over 98% of COVID-19 hospitalizations and deaths in the city between Jan. 1 and June 15 were in people who were not fully vaccinated. That included 8,069 deaths in people who were not fully vaccinated.

0 Replies