6

Calls to Ban Smoking in Las Vegas Casinos Continue.

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2020 01:14 am

Published May 22, 2020

It appears we’re just a few weeks from seeing casinos in Las Vegas reopen to the public. When these gaming venues open, however, they won’t look quite the same you might remember. Recently, requests to ban smoking in Las Vegas casinos have escalated.Holding A Cigarette

Many have asked for the major casino-resorts in Las Vegas to prohibit smoking for years. Due to the current health concerns, this may actually happen in 2020. Today, we’re going to look at what may lead to this major change.

Let’s get into it!

Major Las Vegas Casinos Plan to Reopen in June

It’s been months since all of the casinos in Las Vegas closed their doors. Governor Sisolak feared that keeping these venues would result in a surge of new Covid-19 cases in Clark County. After two months, infection rates have remained fairly low and state leaders are now looking to reopen the economy.

Casino companies in this state have been asking for permission to reopen since March. These closures have cost these companies millions of dollars every day. It’s also cost hundreds of thousands of individuals their jobs.

Fortunately, things are about to improve. Not long ago, Nevada’s Gaming Commission formally approved a set of guidelines that casino companies can use to reopen their venues. It was exactly what was needed for these companies to set an opening date.

Many of the city’s top casino-resorts now plan to open their doors next month. The Venetian, for example, plans to accept guests starting on June 1st. Several of MGM Resorts’ properties including the New York-New York Hotel-Casino and The Bellagio are also opening their doors in early June.

There will be strict measures set in place here to protect staff and guests. Everyone wants to ensure that casinos open up in the safest way possible. Interestingly, anti-smoking advocates are now calling for the gambling venues in Las Vegas to finally make a major change.

Health Professionals Call for a Ban on Smoking in Las Vegas Casinos

Las Vegas is known for having some of the most relaxed laws in the United States. That includes allowing smoking inside major casino-resorts. In recent years, many health officials have called for an end to this law, claiming it puts casino staff and non-smoking gamblers at risk.

Many have pushed against the idea to ban smoking in Las Vegas casinos, though. As many know, Las Vegas is known for the freedom that it offers visitors. Some believe that prohibiting cigarette smoking inside casinos would result in a decrease in tourism.

Now may be the time this smoking is finally banned. A new coronavirus is spreading around the country that’s known to attack the human respiratory system. Health experts have already claimed that smokers are at a much greater risk of death if infected with Covid-19.

For obvious reasons, many feel that smoking should no longer be allowed inside casinos. Anne Macincone, an associate professor of medicine in the Center for Lung Biology at the University of Washington, claims smoking can help to spread viruses and doesn’t understand how it can be done with the mask protocol set in place.

“Smoking or exposure to secondhand smoke can be respiratory irritants that can lead to coughing, and potentially spread of infection,” Macincone said.

Just about everyone agrees that allowing smoking in casinos causes health problems for staff and patrons. That’s more true now than ever. Don’t expect any of the city officials to stop this from happening anytime soon, though.

Is 2020 the Year That LV Casinos Prohibit Smoking?

It’s unlikely. As we’ve already mentioned, this isn’t the first time that many health officials have asked for a ban on smoking in Las Vegas casinos. Last year, reports surfaced that shows some of the health issues casino workers are suffering from simply from being inside these gaming venues.

That isn’t enough for casino officials to make a change. Historically speaking, a ban on smoking results in a serious loss of customers for casinos. Several casinos have prohibited smoking over the past few decades and almost all of them saw their revenue drop considerably.

Casino companies have serious power in cities like Las Vegas. It’s unlikely that any of the city officials will put an end to smoking without the blessing of these companies. Anything is possible, though.

We’re in the middle of a global pandemic and public safety is being considered now more than ever before. There’s a chance that casinos will recognize the risks that smoking presents and will decide to ban it. Some even feel casinos will have dedicated smoking areas, perhaps even contained in a single room.

The push to ban smoking in Las Vegas casinos continues. As of now, however, the major casino-resorts have not decided to make any changes. We’ll need to see how this situation plays out over the next few months.

https://www.bestuscasinos.org/news/calls-ban-smoking-las-vegas-casinos-continue/

Real Music

2  
Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2020 01:26 am
Should smoking remain when casinos reopen?

Smoking while gambling is coming under scrutiny from one area doctor who believes the focus
on health and safety could push casinos to think about going smoke free.

Published May 18, 2020

engineer

3  
Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2020 06:18 am
My son lives in Reno, we visit often and have stayed in casinos there. They have one thing in common, they stink. The rooms are cheap, but they really smell. My son's roommate has worked in some of the casinos and he says they have some floors reserved for the higher paying customers that don't reek of cigarette smoke.

Region Philbis

3  
Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2020 06:37 am

if you're smoking in a public space, that means you're not wearing a mask.

i'm all for the ban...
Linkat

3  
Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2020 08:07 am
I remember (and this was years ago) we went to Mohegan Sun. Neither my husband or I have gambled much - but I had before for entertainment reasons and so had he.

So our girls and they were young then wanted to see the WNBA which the Sun plays there. So we got tickets to the game and stayed a couple of nights - hubby and I decided we could do a few adult things one evening and the girls could go to the kids area - which they both thought sounded great and the other night we would go to the game.

We dropped them off and decided to do a little gambling. According to the info on the casino there was a smoke free section - yeah right! Not enforced and with people walking around smoking freely it was still smoked filled. We left after about 15 minutes could not stand the smoke. We left and went to a restaurant within the casino as those were smoke free, had an adult beverage and got the girls and left.

Haven't been to a casino since. Nothing attractive at all for non-smokers.

3  
Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2020 12:09 pm
When we visited casinos in Lake Charles, the tobacco was even more overwhelming than in Vegas, in my memory. I'm for a ban.

1  
Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2020 03:03 pm
@Real Music,
I’m amazed to find it’s still going on.

Wow.

1  
Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2020 03:12 pm
We don’t really have anywhere like Las Vegas over here, there are casinos, but nothing as grand and lavish as anything over there.

I suppose it’s because our laws relating to gambling are like your laws relating to guns. Pretty much every high street has a least one betting shop. About 40% of television advertisements are for some form of gambling, on line casinos, bingo, betting shops all sorts. Bookmakers Bet Fred and Ladbrokes regularly sponsor popular TV programmes.

To be honest, it gets a bit much. I don’t gamble at all, other than a lottery ticket, I’ve never felt the urge. It’s one of the few vices I don’t have, so I suppose I should be grateful for that.
Linkat

1  
Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2020 03:22 pm
This varies from state to state - for example in Montana getting a gambling licence is much easier - there are all these small places on every street corner (of course in the cities not out like in yellowstone park) - pretty much every restaurant and place with food has slots.

Then you have places like Las Vegas where it is all lavish or in other states that just allow Indian reservations to have casinos you tend to get the more lavish ones.

But yeah that is about the only "public" place that is still allowing smoking where ever.

I also just figured it seems casinos tend to pull in people with many vices - gambling, smoking and drinking...and over eating at all those buffets - although I assume buffets will go on the wayside at least for quite a while.

Real Music

2  
Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 09:44 pm
@Region Philbis,

i'm all for the ban...

1. I agree.

2. I would also add that some people find it difficult to breathe
while second hand smoke is lingering in the air.

3. And that has been the case for many years and long before Covid-19.

4. Now Covid-19 is added to the mix.

5. I am definitely all for the ban.

6. In fact, I have been all for the ban for many years.

Real Music

2  
Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 09:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
When we visited casinos in Lake Charles, the tobacco was even more overwhelming than in Vegas, in my memory.
I'm for a ban.

I am hoping for a ban.

3  
Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 09:54 pm
If people who want to quit smoking would take up kazoo playing and play a few tunes every time they want to smoke they would soon quit, painlessly.

2  
Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 09:58 pm
Another one for the ban of tobacco products here.

However, what about vaping?

Personally I'd be ok with that, if the vape was scentless.

Re the dangers of second hand vape, if you really wanted to vape, in order to allow it, couldn't the person vaping exhale into a filter or cloth of some kind? That way, the aerosol would be very little in the air others are breathing.

1  
Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 10:04 pm
@chai2,
I've never been keen on gambling...not because I think it's immoral..just boring...I hate to see perfectly good money set on fire and then just disappear......