Coronavirus

Mon 2 Mar, 2020 01:19 pm
Starting a thread to break this off from the political discussions.

Azar in the crosshairs for delays in virus tests

Quote:
Even as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention takes blame for testing delays that may have led to hundreds of Americans being quietly infected with the coronavirus, officials inside the health department and the White House are increasingly pointing the finger at one leader: Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, who they say failed to coordinate the response, as agency chiefs waited for instructions that came too late and other deputies were largely cut out of the process.

Numerous problems with the Trump administration’s testing regimen have come to light: Coronavirus tests developed by CDC were flawed, possibly because the lab itself was contaminated. The resulting lack of test capacity forced U.S. officials to screen a limited number of patients across January and February, with the CDC testing fewer than 500 Americans at the same time that China was likely testing at least 1 million of its own residents. Meanwhile, public health officials had no fallback testing option until the Food and Drug Administration granted approval for hospitals and other labs to develop their own homegrown tests on Saturday — more than six weeks after the first U.S. case of coronavirus was identified.

Public health officials acknowledge that CDC and other parts of the government have repeatedly stumbled in the early days of the outbreak, but say that the 52-year-old Azar, a former drug company executive who took over the department in 2018, did not reach out early or often enough to goad his subordinates into action.

“This was a management failure,” said one administration official, charging that Azar didn’t adequately plan for a worst-case coronavirus scenario that’s grown more likely by the day — even though Azar touted his bona fides as a veteran of the George W. Bush administration, where he helped fight crises like SARS and an anthrax scare. "CDC and FDA should have been working hand-in-hand to get Plan B, Plan C and Plan D ready to go," the official said.

“The administration’s response has been reactive, not proactive,” added a former HHS official. “A lot of what has happened has been driven by outside pressure,” like public health labs sounding the alarm that they were unable to perform the CDC’s tests.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 26 • Views: 89,913 • Replies: 3,274
Topic Closed

engineer

Mon 2 Mar, 2020 01:20 pm
Military working on a vaccine

Quote:
The Pentagon is pitching in on work to develop a vaccine for the deadly coronavirus, the military’s top uniformed official said on Monday.

“Our military research labs are working feverishly around the horn here to try to come up with a vaccine. So we’ll see how that develops over the next couple of months,” Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Mark Milley told reporters at the Pentagon.

It’s expected to take a year to 18 months to have a fully effective and accessible COVID-19 vaccine, according to top U.S. health officials.
engineer

Mon 2 Mar, 2020 01:23 pm
90 US cases, 2 deaths in the US, 90,000/3,000 worldwide.

edgarblythe

Mon 2 Mar, 2020 01:26 pm
I stopped to buy some bleach for regular household chores this morning. The shelves were bare. Lysol gone, too. Somebody around here is preparing.
0 Replies

engineer

Mon 2 Mar, 2020 01:26 pm
Nice summary of what the Coronavirus is from the Guardian.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Mon 2 Mar, 2020 04:21 pm
@engineer,
In later news, the death toll is up to 6. 1 in Snohomish County and the other 5 are King County, Seattle.

I better go wash my hands again.
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 2 Mar, 2020 05:38 pm
If you're obsessive-compulsive and you know it, wash your hands . . .

0 Replies

engineer

Tue 3 Mar, 2020 10:11 am
Looks like China has turned the corner with the number of new cases dropping.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/2/21161067/coronavirus-covid19-china
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Wed 4 Mar, 2020 06:09 am

my place instituted policy yesterday...

Quote:
Travel to Affected Areas

If you or anyone with whom you reside has recently traveled to an affected area including China, Iran, South Korea, Italy and Japan, or if you have any reason to believe that you may have been exposed to COVID-19, please inform your supervisor and Human Resources immediately.  Anyone traveling to these areas must work from home, symptom free, for 14 days upon return before returning to work.
engineer

Wed 4 Mar, 2020 07:55 am
First confirmed case in NC yesterday. Even though it is 100 miles away from me, I get several long, panic inducing robo calls from the school board telling me not to panic.
oralloy

Wed 4 Mar, 2020 08:05 am
I early-voted last night so I don't have to vote in the midst of a crowd next week on election day.
0 Replies

Ragman

Wed 4 Mar, 2020 09:40 am
@engineer,
Calls from the School board? Do you a child in school?
tsarstepan

Wed 4 Mar, 2020 11:09 am
@Ragman,
Coronavirus Fears Have Led To A Golden Age Of Hand-Washing PSAs
0 Replies

engineer

Wed 4 Mar, 2020 12:02 pm
@Ragman,
Yep, still got one at home, two in college, one flying solo.
0 Replies

George

Wed 4 Mar, 2020 12:23 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
Quote:
Travel to Affected Areas
. . .  Anyone traveling to these areas must work from home, symptom free,
for 14 days upon return before returning to work.
Will they pay you for that time?
Sturgis

Wed 4 Mar, 2020 12:27 pm
@George,
I'd figure they would, seeing as how they will be 'working' from home.

Of course, they might subtract money if they contribute to employee commuter costs.
George

Wed 4 Mar, 2020 12:32 pm
@Sturgis,
Right. "Working" is the key word there.

Not all jobs can be done from home, but I believe Region would have that
option.

There's a similar notice posted at the entrance to where I work, but it says
you are not allowed to enter the building.
Region Philbis

Wed 4 Mar, 2020 12:49 pm
@George,

working from home is doable -- i can remote in.

my supervisor is vacationing in italy this week.

he left before the new policy was put in place...
tsarstepan

Wed 4 Mar, 2020 01:25 pm

I have to admit that I'm somewhat disappointed in Martina because she is wearing a mask (when she's clearly not sick and to spite the public policy warnings to only wear a face mask when you are sick from the virus).

And bulk shopping to grab as much food and supplies in case of a supply crisis is the same as panic shopping/hoarding. The motive is the same. You're just not admitting that you yourself are in panic mode.

I wonder how Trader Joes looks today as I need to actually go regular grocery shopping. Frack on a stick.
oralloy

Wed 4 Mar, 2020 01:31 pm
@tsarstepan,
It should be OK to use valved masks (which are preferable anyway).

The valve makes them useless for use on sick people. The germs would just escape through the valve.

Although if someone doesn't have a supply of masks already, they are out of luck regardless of what kind they want. Everyone is going to be sold out at this point.

Bulk grocery shopping within reason isn't too bad of an idea either. If someone can limit their trips to the grocery store to once every other week, that reduces their exposure to other people.
0 Replies