Bear In Hospital

wandeljw

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 10:23 am
squinney,
Sorry to hear about the complications. I had complications before my gallbladder removal (but probably not the same -- each case is unique). I also was in the hospital longer than expected. The catheter came after the surgery and wasn't even noticeable to me (until they pulled it out). Your husband's doctor sounds like he knows what he is doing.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 10:29 am
Will the older kids be able to help out when they get there?

Hope the doc fills in the blanks to your satisfaction.

Hugs to all.
0 Replies

Zane

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 10:41 am
Prayers for Bear and family.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 12:48 pm
Afternoon hugs heading south.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 01:13 pm
FWIW, i had a catheter once. odd thing was, i didn't really notice it, but i was rather medicated and unfocussed at the time.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 01:18 pm
Squinney, I'm so sorry Bear is having health problems. Sending good thoughts and hoping for a quick recovery.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 01:19 pm
Oh, Jeez! I just saw this thread. Give Bear my best wishes for a speedy recovery.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 04:32 pm
Still sending heartfelt wishes your way.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 04:40 pm
agghhhh, a catheter!!!, anything but that.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 04:44 pm
I had a catheter for a week once. My friends came in with one of those beer pump adverisements and clipped it onto the bag.
I wouldnt mind, but it was a cider one, with the brand name "cripple C*ck!!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 04:50 pm
FOUND IT!! It brings back such fond memories (actually, I didnt even feel it, whilst it was in place)

http://k.domaindlx.com/lordellpus/cc1.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 04:52 pm
apparently bears like salmon

http://www.goldseal.ca/images/comics/bear1.jpg

soooooo

http://www.bigsurlodge.com/9.02food-photos-web/salmon.jpg

and

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2004/Apr-07-Wed-2004/photos/burger.jpg
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 04:53 pm
Hey, hope BVT feels better soon.

These damned George W. Bush-lovers don't know what to do without him.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 05:08 pm
aside to his lordship,

was your 'theter as long as mine? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 05:16 pm
yitwail wrote:
aside to his lordship,

was your 'theter as long as mine? Rolling Eyes

It grew considerably one day, when the fifteen stone Physio nurse tried to help a drowsy me out of bed for some exercise.
She manhandled me out the wrong side, and wondered what was stopping the progress. My tube was clipped onto the other side of the bed, and poor willy was being stretched beyond anything that I achieved on my honeymoon.
Bloody woman!
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 05:25 pm
Lucky it wasn't bloody willy! Shocked
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 05:28 pm
Came home to grab up the two cubs so they can visit a bit before getting oldest cub from work.

Good visit by comparison to yesterdays. I walked in, introduced myself to the sitter and the first thing she said was "He's a CHARACTER!" Said he was waking up about every hour and would make a joke. Kept thanking her for taking care of him, then would drift off.

Went for his MRI. I don't know what he was doing, but they made a "deal" with him. He said he wouldn't cooperate unless he could get some water. They finally agreed he could have some water after the MRI. He gets back to the floor and he tells the nurse to bring him some water. "I can't," she says, "You're NPO."

"Uh-huh! They told me I could have some water if I cooperated. They made a deal with me."

Nurse says she'll check the chart... Nope, nothing there about water.

Bear tells her to call the Doctor cause he promised. (Anyone else thinking 5 year old?)

So, in the end he gets one sip of water per hour to keep his mouth moist.

MRI showed gallstones, but not blocking the pancreas. Said will still have to remove the gallbladder after a few more days. Pancreas has to have time to calm down before they can do it. Since MRI didn't show gallstone blockage, said it might be a cyst they can't see due to the inflammation, might still be a stone that they can't see, or stone may have been there but has since moved. In other words, not sure.

His bilirubin went up today, though. Was 1.1 yesterday. Is 1.9 today. Don't think I need to worry until it hits 3. Also, temp went from 98.6 this morning, to 99.2 to 101.5 while I was there. May have to go to a stronger antibiotic.

Back to the hospital.

Will check in again later.

Love,
Squinney

PS. He loved the messages. Raised his eyebrows at the bungee cord suggestion. Said for McGentrix to give him time. He'll be back. Said to tell you all thank you.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 05:32 pm
Thanks for taking the time to update us in the midst of all the other craziness going on, squinney. Take care.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 06:10 pm
Thank you squinney!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 06:15 pm
Squinney
Sqinney, I can relate to the Bear's extreme thirst. A few years ago, I ruptured my esophagus and was denied water for 7 days to give it time for the hole to heal. Even though I was receiving intraveineous hydration, I cried for water, but the only thing I could have was a swab of glycerin to moisten my mouth. You can live through it but it is uncomfortable.

BBB
0 Replies