Bear In Hospital

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 07:44 am
Just got home from the hospital. Took Bear in around 1:30 AM with severe abdominal pain. After several tests and about 5 hours, the doctor finally came in and said he has gallstone pancreatitis.

Will be in hospital several days, no food or drink, then later have to have his gallbladder removed. Doctor wasn't very informative, but from what I have gathered in the last thirty minutes from the internet, the extended wait to remove the gallbladder, rather than a week or so, indicates a more severe case of pancreatitis.

He had thought he had an ulcer or severe indigestion for the past 6 weeks or so. Kept drinking Peptobismal. Eating brought on more belching and pain. Unattended, severe pancreatitis can lead to kidney failure and death.

So, anyone with these types of symptoms, please go to the doctor and do not wait six weeks. Also, appears to be a higher incidents in women, so men don't usually get a gallbladder / pancreatitis diagnosis as quickly as they should unless there is a drinking problem.

They kept asking if Bear had a drinking problem, and I kept telling them no. Didn't know the connection until I looked it up.

Hopefully, they will keep him loaded with pain meds. He's pretty good about getting / demanding the pain control he needs.

Will keep you updated. When I left around 7:30 this morning, they were talking about him being in for several days.

Lash

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 07:50 am
Good grief.

A man will go about with a spear in his head, rather than go to the hospital.

So sorry he suffered so long, but very glad they caught it before it became worse.

The Bear crew are in my thoughts. Beaming good thoughts to the Bears.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 07:51 am
Oh, squinney, God bless your heart. You keep us posted. I think the pancreas is compromised by the gallstones. No pain is worse, honey. I had a laparoscopy and was out of the hospital in the same day. Keep us posted. Big hugs to the bear.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 07:51 am
AQT this point IWill only send wishes of speedy recovery. When we find out hes doing better and well on the way to recovery will we begin goofin on him.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 07:54 am
Sorry to hear it, squinney. Wish him well for me. Any chance they can avoid removing the gall bladder? I understand that it's actually pretty important for processing fats and that it is normal to gain 20 or more pounds after its removal.

At any rate, I hope the Bear feels better and doesn't have to stay in the hospital too long.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 07:54 am
Sorry to hear that Squinney.....and hope that he has a speedy recovery.
My Brother in Law (in Australia) had what sounds to be the exact same thing last year. They removed his gallbladder by using Keyhole surgery, and he went back to work (against Doc's advice, I may add) one week later !!

He now eats a normal diet, and says he feels absolutely fine. It was a wake up call for him though, He now cuts all the fat off his meat, and is taking more exercise.

Please send "bear" my best wishes.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 07:55 am
How awful for you two. I had a friend that went through this - very painful, but fixable when caught in time. I'm surprised it took him so many weeks to realize he had a real problem.
Wishing you both an easy recovery.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 07:55 am
Lash wrote:
Good grief.

A man will go about with a spear in his head, rather than go to the hospital.

Yeah, well . . . if it don't hurt, and you don't jiggle it . . .

My best hopes and wishes to your and yours, Miss Squinney, tell the Bear i'm gonna save some salmon for him . . .
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:07 am
The doctore indicated the gallstone was blocking the duct at the pancreas. Gall bladder will be removed via laparoscopy.(sp? 28 hours without sleep, so ignore my spelling if it's wrong)

I love the "spear through the head," Lash. How true. I had to ask him four times last night if he wanted me to take him to the hospital.

Funny aside: Youngest Cub came up to our room after Bear had been moaning and thrashing about for over an hour. Knocked gently and asked if Dad was okay. Told him I was taking Dad to the hospital. Cub immediately said he was going to go too.

So, we get there, get Bear checked in, get some meds in him and he is finally resting. Cub turns to me and says, "And, I just thought my parents had an interesting sex life."

Shocked

I think there's too much Bear in this Cub.

Thank you for all the well wishes. I will certainly let him know you are all thinking of him.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:07 am
Squinney- I wish a speedy recovery for the Bear, and an easy time for you. Keep us posted!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:08 am
Here's to a speedy recovery!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:13 am
Big bear hugs for you all.
Im glad it was caught in time.
Wishing Bear a healthy and gentle recovery... :-(
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:15 am
Hope he is home soon healthy, and happy. You take care of yourself too.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:17 am
Squinney--

PRICELESS sex comment by the cub.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:32 am
Squinney pls pass on my best wishes to the bear !!

And god help the nurses !!! Laughing
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:32 am
best wishes! (i could say grin and bear it, but i won't. Smile )
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:35 am
Bear hugs all around! Speedy recovery...thinking of you Bear!!!

And of course you, squinny and the cubs!! Very Happy
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:39 am
Dear squinney:

I know the lady suffers almost as much as the guy when this happens. My prayers for you both. If all is right in this world you'll both breathe a sigh of relief when it's over.

Bob
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:47 am
Tell the Care Bear panzade is rootin' for him. Can't play glam rock with an upset tummy.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:47 am
Oh yikes!

E.G. had an emergency appendectomy a while back (sozlet was still a baby, my cri de coeur was on Abuzz [and responded to by Moondoggy, Roberta and others, bless 'em]), very similar sort of situation I think. Had to be dragged to the hospital, was within "hours" of it bursting and making things much worse, had laparascopic surgery, fine pretty quickly after that.

Bear hugs -- gentle bear hugs. And yes, take care of yourself too, Squinney.
0 Replies