Are you disappointed 21st century tech is not as advanced and/or as sophisticated as you expected?

Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2020 08:09 pm
@JGoldman10,
The alien film you are talking about is called Planet 51.

So the only animated film in the last 20 years you have actually seen in its entirety is 2007's Meet The Robinsons?
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2020 09:23 pm
@JGoldman10,
I recently seen all of Disney's and Pixar's films made after 2000 on Disney Plus.

Most of Disney Animation Studio's films between 2000 and 2008 is a mixed bag of quality. They had very forgettable films (Home on the Range, Brother Bear) and even the good films had some issues. (Treasure Planet, Lilo & Stitch). The studio's output improved greatly after 2009's The Princess & The Frog. The best film of the Disney's 2010 films was Tangled, while Moana had the best animation in regards to the water effects. Frozen 2's song "Show Yourself" is Disney's best song in the last 20 years, with Moana's "I Am Moana" and Tangled's "I See The Light" getting honorable mentions.

Pixar's films in the 00s decade were far better than Disney's own films. After 2010's Toy Story 3, their film quality began to falter, but they still had good films. Inside Out is Pixar's best overall film.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 04:06 am
@Rebelofnj,
No, I saw Shrek, Robots, Area 51 and Madagascar. There were a few other feature animated films I saw in their entirety on TV.

There were a few animated direct-to-video films I saw on TV.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 04:31 am
I know about Team America, which I assumed was meant to be a adult parody of the stop-motion animated show Thunderbirds, or at least a comedy movie inspired by it. I didn't watch that. I know about the Drawn Together movie. The show the film is based on is disgusting, perverted and offensive. I have no intention of ever seeing that movie.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 04:37 am
When I was on art school I subscribed to Animation Magazine. If I remember correctly my class was told it was a good idea to subscribe to it, so we could keep up with what was going on in the animation industry. I have not read and subscribed to this magazine since the late '90s.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 04:43 am
Am I the only person who thinks it's weird two major Hollywood studios each came out with a film paying homage to classic video games at roughly the same time? Disney came out with Wreck-it-Ralph first, and Sony came out with Pixels only a few years later.
justaguy2

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 04:48 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Hi. I am just curious about this. I kind of am. I recall in the late 20th century people thought tech in the 21st century was going to be something like the tech you envisioned in futuristic sci-fi shows and movies.

Technology doesn't advance that quickly, neither does science.

Quote:
Before commercialized internet access came about, watching TV shows, movies, ads, etc. and listening to songs, etc. from your computer was unheard of.

Well of course it was - how would the content be delivered to your PC without the internet? Not that that's what the intended purpose of the internet was to begin with - it was originally intended for military applications - look up ARPA (who are now called DARPA).

Quote:
Social media is a big thing now. That wasn't around in the early days of commercialized internet access if I am not mistaken.

No, it wasn't, because most people didn't even have the internet back then - let alone even knew what it even was to begin with.

I remember when I was growing up nobody I knew had the internet, let alone even knew what it was. I remember when if you had a CD burner in your PC you were the king - these days people would laugh at you if that's the best you've got.

Quote:
I thought tech would have been far more advanced and sophisticated by now.

Hollywood != reality - it goes back to my point above about how things don't move as quickly in the "real world" as what they do in Hollywood.

Quote:
I am still wondering where are the flying cars and teleporters we were promised.

I wouldn't be holding your breath just yet...

Quote:
What about you? Are you disappointed 21st century tech isn't as advanced and/or sophisticated as you hoped or thought it was going to be?

No.

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 05:02 am
@justaguy2,
Hi Just. At what point in time do you think 21st century tech will actually become space-agey?

Ford has made pick-up trucks that have built-in computer screens in the last two decades. I've seen pics of the interiors of these trucks. The screens look like the screens you see on smartphones, tablets and other digital devices - screens with app icons on them.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 05:05 am
@justaguy2,
The digital tech we have now is still worlds away from the digital tech we had back in the '80s and '90s.
justaguy2

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 06:24 am
@JGoldman10,
Well, if you're talking about driving what would be effectively "little spaceships" around, replacing land based vehicles, and while it's hard to give an exact date; I'd think it would be at least 15 to 20 years away yet. They would not only have to come up with the technology, and the business model, there is also the regulatory side of it as well. So my guess would probably be closer to at least 25 to 30 years away before you see anything like that happening - particularly in regards to the take up of it by ordinary people.

Putting computer screens in vehicles is hardly a quantum leap - that's been happening since at least the 90's, if not the 80's. Although, back then it would have been very basic black and white displays - not touchscreens, etc.
justaguy2

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 06:26 am
@JGoldman10,
Yes, people would also laugh at you if you were still using a 56Kbps dial-up modem nowadays - but back in the 90's, you would have been the king...
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 06:29 am
@justaguy2,
Vehicle GPS's weren't something that was around in the '80s and '90s.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 06:37 am
@justaguy2,
Yes but I'm not talking about that specifically. Commercialized internet access wasn't officialized until 1995. Commercialized internet access was still in its infancy stage.

In the '80s the only people who were using internet access were the U.S. military and commercial businesses. Businesses back then used what was referred to as "BBS".

The first web browsers weren't in development until 1989. The World Wide Web existed in 1990 but not everyone was using it.

You didn't have video-sharing sites on a large scale, social networks, streaming services and apps back in the mid-to-late '90s like you do now.

Cellphones have become more sophisticated since the '80s and '90s.

You didn't have tablets and other digital devices like you do now.
justaguy2

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 06:53 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Commercialized internet access wasn't officialized until 1995. Commercialized internet access was still in its infancy stage.

I think you're confusing when the internet was made available to the average person with the take up of it by the average person/business. It was the mid-90's that saw the first large take up of it by the average person and businesses in particular.

Quote:
In the '80s the only people who were using internet access were the U.S. military and commercial businesses. Businesses back then used what was referred to as "BBS".

I think you're confusing "BBS" with "Bulletin Board Systems", which is what predated forums like this forum.

Quote:
Cellphones have become more sophisticated since the '80s and '90s.

Cell/mobile phones ARE basically mini computers now, that have a processor, memory, etc. Before they just had a single purpose - to make phone calls.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 07:06 am
@justaguy2,
I was talking about "Bulletin Board Systems". Commercial businesses in the '80s used this.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 07:08 am
@justaguy2,
Cellphones in the '80s and '90s had computer screens but they looked something like Tamagachi screens, or Gameboy screens. The earliest '80s cellphones looked like clunky telephone receivers.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 07:09 am
@justaguy2,
The original film War Games gives audiences an idea of what internet access was like in the '80s. The U.S. military was the only one using it in the movie.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 07:16 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I know about Team America, which I assumed was meant to be a adult parody of the stop-motion animated show Thunderbirds

Thunderbirds was not stop motion. They were puppets, known as supermarionation. Anderson used puppets because it was cheaper than using actors, stop motion animation wouldn’t have been cheaper and would have taken forever.

Look how long it took for films like Jason and the Argonauts. Years, and that was a just a small part of the film. Not only did Anderson do Thunderbirds he did other shows, Captain Scarlet, Joe 90, Stingray, Fireball XL5.

If he’d relied on stop motion he’d still be working on them.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 07:18 am
@JGoldman10,
Vehicle GPS did exist in the 90s. President Reagan allowed GPS technology to be available to the public in the 80s.

The first vehicle with GPS navigation was the 1990 Mazda Eunos Cosmos. General Motors would later develop their GuideStar system for their vehicles in 1992.
https://ndrive.com/brief-history-gps-car-navigation/
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 07:28 am
@JGoldman10,
WarGames actually played a major role in affecting American policy.

President Reagan watched the film and had asked Gen. John W. Vessey Jr., the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, if it was possible to hack into the computers of North American Aerospace Defense Command. A week later, Gen. Vessey had an answer for Reagan: "The problem is much worse than you think.”

"Reagan’s question set off a series of interagency memos and studies that culminated, 15 months later, in his signing a classified national security decision directive, NSDD-145, titled “National Policy on Telecommunications and Automated Information Systems Security.”"
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/21/movies/wargames-and-cybersecuritys-debt-to-a-hollywood-hack.html
0 Replies