Keep warm: throw another koran on the fire

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:08 am
What's pathetic is that Deborah Pryce is "my" Representative . . . yeah, she represents me about as well as a caged monkey.

Passing the Congress is one thing, but it'll take one hell of a political slow season to get it through 38 legislatures. Anyone have the text? Is there a time limit for ratification? That's how they killed the Equal Rights Amendment.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:52 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Over the years, I've watched with horror several campaigns to get such an amendment. I can hardly think of a more horrific change to the Constitution, as it constitutes a partial repealing of the first amendment. If people were hauled off to jail merely for expressing a political viewpoint, this wouldn't be the United States any more - not the one the Founders created.

Why do you hate America?

I'll play along. What would make you think that I do based on anything I said in this post?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:59 am
It was a joke, Brandon . . .

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:02 am
sarchasm (sär'kz'm): (n.) The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the recipient who doesn't get it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:07 am
Ooooo . . . that's a good one, Joe, i'll have to remember that . . .
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:11 am
Setanta wrote:
It was a joke, Brandon . . .

Rolling Eyes

Yes, that's why I said "I'll play along."
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:15 am
joefromchicago wrote:
sarchasm (sär'kz'm): (n.) The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the recipient who doesn't get it.

You're giving yourself much more credit than you have coming, probably the only basis on which you can contend with me on anything connected with debate. Your post was obviously a sarcastic attempt to reverse our usual positions, which is why my first sentence about "playing along" was there.

However, even to make such a joke implies that you may think that my position is somehow self-contradictory, which it is not. Had you continued that line of reasoning, you would have simply lost.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:17 am
Does anyone have the current score? I lost my scorecard.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:19 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:

You're giving yourself much more credit than you have coming, probably the only basis on which you can contend with me on anything connected with debate. Your post was obviously a sarcastic attempt to reverse our usual positions, which is why my first sentence about "playing along" was there.

However, even to make such a joke implies that you may think that my position is somehow self-contradictory, which it is not. Had you continued that line of reasoning, you would have simply lost.

This post was much funnier when you still had "learn to spell genius" as the tag line.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:20 am
A cute little mental exercise follows from imagining the circumstances (physical positions of the principals, building design, etc ) around the 'few drops of urine going through the grate and landing accidently on that Koran'.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:24 am
I find that the expensive, camel hair korans are extremely effective at removing even the last bit of klingon. They do, however, have a tendency to clog the toilet.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:25 am
cjhsa wrote:
I find that the expensive, camel hair korans are extremely effective at removing even the last bit of klingon. They do, however, have a tendency to clog the toilet.

How many do you have?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:34 am
Something like ten. That was the most the library would let me check out.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:36 am
Oh, so you don't actually own any yourself. Dop you realize that you are destroying government property?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:38 am
Isn't that his First Amendment right?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:39 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:

This post was much funnier when you still had "learn to spell genius" as the tag line.

Are you attempting to make any point at all about the actual topic? You know, something related to flag burning, criticism vs patriotism, the actual content of my post, etc?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:41 am
Ticomaya wrote:

Given that logic, I guess it his right to burn flags if he wants to.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:42 am
Intrepid wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

Given that logic, I guess it his right to burn flags if he wants to.

That's right. You have been following along.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 11:02 am
Thanks. I'll try to keep in step.

BTW - I see that the facelift worked, Tico ;-)
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 11:35 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Are you attempting to make any point at all about the actual topic? You know, something related to flag burning, criticism vs patriotism, the actual content of my post, etc?

Actually, Brandon, on this topic our views are identical -- which is why I am currently re-evaluating my position.
0 Replies