Keep warm: throw another koran on the fire

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 03:39 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
I don't need such direction. This is the appropriate thread. Since the topic of this post is a reference to American abuse of prisoners, and American hypocrisy about same, I am precisely on the nominal topic.

No, the topic of the thread is the hypocrisy of those who think desecration of the koran is not a big deal but who think desecration of the flag is a huge deal. There are plenty of threads out there where you can bang your little tin drum about 9/11 and prisoner abuse.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 03:45 pm
JustWonders wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
[Come on, do you really think that if we don't keep prisoners in Guantanamo, our democracy will fail and we will all be forced to convert?

You are so right. Closing Gitmo will solve everything. I especially like that if we close it, we won't be criticized ever again.

So I vote for closing.

Let's relocate them all to, say.....the Hamptons?

How about relocating them to some of the scrub land on the Bush Ranch? He could take his visitors to see how well the prisoners are now treated...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 03:48 pm
Given that he's an all hat and no cattle rancher, it would be nice to see the land put to a useful purpose.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 03:51 pm
JustWonders wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
[Come on, do you really think that if we don't keep prisoners in Guantanamo, our democracy will fail and we will all be forced to convert?

JustWonders,

My point is that if Brandon can keep yelling that we are in a "life or death struggle", and enough people believe him, Americans will except things that they wouldn't accept otherwise. That is the point of saying "life or death struggle".

If we are not in a "life or death" struggle, we can continue to act with dignity according to our values.

What is happening in Guantanamo goes against the most basic ideals of America. They are being imprisoned without a trial, and with the chance to prove that they are innocent.

Implying that they are terrorists because they are Afghan Moslems, or accepting without proof that they are "illegal combatants" simply because the government says so, is un-American. Perhaps one or two of the prisoners had anything to do with 9/11, so bringing 9/11 up to justify the imprisonment of them all is illogical and wrong.

I wasn't saying that closing Guantanamo would solve everything.

I was just saying that Americans should expect that it's government act according to the ideals of the nation. The imprisonment of men who have not been convicted of anything without the chance of a trial is wrong and should be stopped.

The fake "life and death struggle" that has been invoked thousands of times may justify what would normally be injust..

Except there is no life and death struggle meaning there is no danger that our nation or way of life will cease to exist because of this threat.

So why can't we act morally.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 04:35 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Osama bin Laden's manifesto states that he requires us to convert to Islam, like it or not. We certainly are in a life and death struggle.

Could you provide a source for this? It sounds like you are making this up.

From bin Laden's manifesto:

Quote:

(Q2) As for the second question that we want to answer: What are we calling you to, and what do we want from you?

(1) The first thing that we are calling you to is Islam.

(a) The religion of the Unification of God; of freedom from associating partners with Him, and rejection of this; of complete love of Him, the Exalted; of complete submission to His Laws; and of the discarding of all the opinions, orders, theories and religions which contradict with the religion He sent down to His Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him). Islam is the religion of all the prophets, and makes no distinction between them - peace be upon them all.

ebrown_p wrote:
Anytime nationalists want to support an extreme government, they greatly exaggerate an external threat. This has happened countless times in history.

And sometimes real warnings are given of real dangers. You do admit the possibility that there could be a real danger in the world, do you not? Do you think that now that Al Qaeda has made the above listed attacks, it is done, and pretty much satisfied? Now that WMD have been discovered by mankind, in principle, Al Qaeda could obtain them. Did you not see the famous film footage, found at a captured Al Qaeda safe house, of nerve gas being tested on a dog? Do you believe that they are not seeking these weapons, or that should they get them they would hesitate to use them on us?

ebrown_p wrote:
Come on, do you really think that if we withdraw troops from Iraq, or don't keep prisoners in Guantanamo without a trial, our democracy will fail and we will all be forced to convert to Islam?

If we withdraw troops from Iraq now, the people there will have to face the insurgents alone. The insurgents, among their other credits, tried to stop the elections. Don't you think we should stick around until the Iraqis' institutions are strong enough to survive? That seems kind of selfish.

Among the prisoners in Guantanamo are Al Qaeda members some of whom are very dangerous. You just want to turn them loose? The US no longer has the right to take prisoners on the battle field?

ebrown_p wrote:
I think you are greatly exaggerating the threat.

Okay, Neville.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 04:42 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Interesting analogy re the Revolutionary War. I can't recall hearing that any of that happening (colonists protesting the treatment of British troops), nor can I see any parallels between the anti-colonial efforts of those Americans with what we're doing in Iraq now...

Or is it all lumped together under Whatever This Country Does Is Always Right?

I didn say that any colonists had ever done that. I didn't sat that whatever this country does is always right. Talk about putting words in someone's mouth! I said that the analogy to what a lot of liberals do these days would be if someone during that era were to continually harp on Washington's treatment of British prisoners but appear to have no interest in the primary issues of the struggle, nor loyalty to anything about their country. Do you always read the posts this carefully?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 04:47 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
I don't need such direction. This is the appropriate thread. Since the topic of this post is a reference to American abuse of prisoners, and American hypocrisy about same, I am precisely on the nominal topic.

No, the topic of the thread is the hypocrisy of those who think desecration of the koran is not a big deal but who think desecration of the flag is a huge deal. There are plenty of threads out there where you can bang your little tin drum about 9/11 and prisoner abuse.

Since you started a thread about abuse of the Koran by Americans, it was on topic to point out how perverse it is to harp on your own side's comparitively minor abuses, but seem to have no interest in your side's struggle against a deadly, determined enemy. Your assertion that I'm off topic is both absurd and completely consistent with the liberal propensity for avoiding facing an opponent's argument head on.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 04:53 pm
On a side note, I find this works really well if you soak them in light sweet crude for at least an hour.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 04:55 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Since you started a thread about abuse of the Koran by Americans, it was on topic to point out how perverse it is to harp on your own side's comparitively minor abuses, but seem to have no interest in your side's struggle against a deadly, determined enemy. Your assertion that I'm off topic is both absurd and completely consistent with the liberal propensity for avoiding facing an opponent's argument head on.

Unbelievable. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 04:57 pm
What is, kicky?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 05:01 pm
The fact that Brandon doesn't have a clue that his ranting is completely off topic.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 05:04 pm
How do you know Joe isn't simply worried because he's been burning american flags, that he got cheap in Mexico due to imperfections, to heat his house?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 05:06 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
We are not in a life or death struggle.

nope. if we were, we'd all be at the front lines. not tap tapping away on a2k.

now our kids in iraq; they are in a life and death struggle every single day that they are deployed in iraq.

ebrown_p wrote:
That 9/11 happened does not take away my responsibility to oppose my government when it does things I believe are immoral.

along the same line, that 9/11 happened does not take away the government's responsibility to act honorably, to lead honestly or allow the officials to start screwing around with the constitution every five minutes.

it sickens me that 9/11 is constantly being used as a catch all justification or excuse for statements and behavior that would be unthinkable in any other context.

people that are that upset about 9/11 that they have to work it into every conversation need to quit nonsing around and get on bush's ass about wasting our people, money and time in iraq instead of getting hold of osama bin forgotten and his gang of religious assassins.

the last thing that is going to let us curtail terrorism in this day and age is matching the islamist's drama queen hysteria. not the least reason being that inciting said hysteria is their goal.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 05:19 pm
kickycan wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Unbelievable. Rolling Eyes

What a cogent argument. I thought I was right, but your logic is inescapable.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 05:19 pm
cjhsa wrote:
How do you know Joe isn't simply worried because he's been burning american flags, that he got cheap in Mexico due to imperfections, to heat his house?

Exactly! Now why can't Brandon see that!?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 05:20 pm
kickycan wrote:
The fact that Brandon doesn't have a clue that his ranting is completely off topic.

Someone talks about our abuses of enemy prisoners. I say that it's perverse only to talk about our sins when we're in a battle with a dangerous enemy. How is that off topic?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 05:39 pm
I don't think I could explain it to you, Brandon.

What you just posted there, explaining what you think the topic is about, shows me that we are speaking completely different languages, and as I am busy learning italian right now, I don't think I can squeeze in learning another one right now.

Sorry.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 06:20 pm
kickycan wrote:

What you just posted there, explaining what you think the topic is about, shows me that we are speaking completely different languages, and as I am busy learning italian right now, I don't think I can squeeze in learning another one right now.

Sorry.

Translation - I am not one who meets arguments head on. I attack the person, not the argument. I forfeit.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 06:48 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
kickycan wrote:

Sorry.

Translation - I am not one who meets arguments head on. I attack the person, not the argument. I forfeit.

Wrong. Here's the real translation...

I have seen Brandon, time and time again, have the simplest thing explained to him over and over again, and still repond by spewing whatever pre-packaged message his brain is currently stuck on, seemingly unaware of anything that the other person is trying to say. Whether this is willful on his part, or if he is just stupid, I am unsure. But I haven't the patience for it today.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 07:13 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Since you started a thread about abuse of the Koran by Americans, it was on topic to point out how perverse it is to harp on your own side's comparitively minor abuses, but seem to have no interest in your side's struggle against a deadly, determined enemy.

Read my original post again and then show me where I talked about Americans abusing the koran.

Brandon9000 wrote:
Your assertion that I'm off topic is both absurd and completely consistent with the liberal propensity for avoiding facing an opponent's argument head on.

I have met your argument head on numerous times. I just won't do so in a thread where your argument is off-topic.
0 Replies