Keep warm: throw another koran on the fire

thethinkfactory

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 08:52 am
Ticomaya wrote:
thethinkfactory wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
thethinkfactory wrote:
What is going on in Gitmo is an attrocity. We all know it - we can't even ignore it - we simply say that it is okay in comparison to what "they" did.

What, exactly, do you find atrocious about Gitmo?

This is simple. Not that they are being tortured, or Korans are being burned... (This may be the case - but until we have proof - as hard as that might be - I will fall silent on that).

It is the fact that we have hundreds of people and have detained them, without rights, against our and international law, and have done so in the name of freedom and rights.

I want one simple thing. Give them the due process they are owed as human beings.

Attrocity may be a bit steep - but I don't think it is out of line. Due process is such an ingrained portion of our rights that it goes directly against the American conceptions of rights to deny it - no matter what any administration wants to term these detainees.

Furthermore, to hear the administration keep reminding us that they are 'bad men' and hope that sates our intelligence or sense of justice is a farce. Here is why: Innocent until due process proves them guilty. What can be disputed?

TF

Thanks for the clarification. I thought that's what you meant, but wasn't sure.

Of course some might think the meals being served to the detainees constitute an atrocity. Eye of the beholder?

Tic -

Great reply. I think these prisoners, even if they are taken to disney land daily still have a God given right to defend themselves. The supreme court seems to agree.

TF
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 08:54 am
Wait - would it be considered cruel and unusual to take them to Disney Land daily? If so... scratch that. Wink

TF
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 09:02 am
Since the proposed "flag protection amendment" is simply a grant of power to Congress, it would be necessary to pass a statute that sets forth the terms and boundaries of any kind of federal prohibition on flag desecration. An example of such a law can be found in the Texas law that was declared unconstitutional in Texas v. Johnson:
    " 42.09. Desecration of Venerated Object "(a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly desecrates: "(1) a public monument; "(2) a place of worship or burial; or "(3) a state or national flag. "(b) For purposes of this section, `desecrate' means deface, damage, or otherwise physically mistreat in a way that the actor knows will seriously offend one or more persons likely to observe or discover his action. "(c) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor."
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 12:11 pm
JustWonders wrote:
PS to DTOM: I've always thought you could leave the flag up after sundown as long as it has a spotlight on it.

i looked up the etiquette on a few sites, and they all seem to agree;

Quote:
I fly my flag at home 24 hours a day. What does "properly illuminated" mean?
Section 6a: "when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed twenty-four hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness." The Flag Rules offer no additional guidance on this question. We interpret this to mean that there is either a light directly upon the flag or that there is sufficient local lighting to make the flag easily visible at night.

problem is, most of the home displays i see aren't properly illuminated as described. a dim porchlight doesn't quite make it.

regarding the proper condition of a flag being displayed;

Quote:
The flag should be cleaned and mended when necessary.

i post this because so many of the citizen displayed flags i see are really dismal looking. tattered, dirty and some i've seen even have holes in them. most of the times that i've seen this, it's one of those "clip on the window" flags that people have on their vehicles.

which, btw is non-regulation;

Quote:
When the flag is displayed on a car, the staff shall be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender.
http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/images/f_etiq14.gif

and what is supposed to happen when your flag is in that condition ?

Quote:
Section 8k of the Flag Code (see below) states, "The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning."

i know this is picking at nits, but when we have so many people proclaiming their superior patriotism to others, they should all take the time to know the rules. ain't too hard. simply google "etiquette united states flag", and voila.

ushistory.org

usachoice.net
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 12:15 pm
Quote:
but when we have so many people proclaiming their superior patriotism to others, they should all take the time to know the rules.

Who are "they"?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 12:35 pm
joefromchicago wrote:

"(c) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor."[/list]

Surely, though, a violation of the new Federal law would be at least a low-level felony. Gotta give it some teeth....
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 01:32 pm
aaahhhh, it all seems like a waste of time. considering, as i posted a couple of pages back, that there was only one flag burning reported for the year, i'd say that there are much more important issues for congress to be focusing on.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 01:47 pm
Yeah, like expanding Daylight Saving year round. :wink:
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 02:06 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

Laughing wouldn't surprise me...

hey, d'ya hear that pf is doing a reunion in the fall with rw ? i think i heard it was for a charity.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 02:18 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

hey, d'ya hear that pf is doing a reunion in the fall with rw ? i think i heard it was for a charity.

Hadn't heard that ... that would be ultra cool. Is this a one-time concert? Where?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 04:04 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

Hadn't heard that ... that would be ultra cool. Is this a one-time concert? Where?

looks like a one off at the live 8 concert in london. july 2nd. if ya go post a couple of pictures, eh ?

says here, that there's no plan to tour. but, ya know the dudes are kinda gettin' up there and might decide to pick up a few more ducats for the "golden years". Laughing

in other news: we just had a fairly decent earthquake. that was fun. :wink:
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 08:11 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Surely, though, a violation of the new Federal law would be at least a low-level felony. Gotta give it some teeth....

That would be up to congress. You're right, though: it would certainly seem a waste if the nation went through all the trouble of passing a constitutional amendment just so it could add another misdemeanor to the federal criminal code.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 12:07 pm
Over the years, I've watched with horror several campaigns to get such an amendment. I can hardly think of a more horrific change to the Constitution, as it constitutes a partial repealing of the first amendment. If people were hauled off to jail merely for expressing a political viewpoint, this wouldn't be the United States any more - not the one the Founders created.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 01:18 pm
Well, it's actually happening right now and is seen as likely to pass the Senate, having passed Congress already by 286-130.

The proposed one-line amendment to the Constitution reads, "The Congress shall have power to prohibit the physical desecration of the flag of the United States."

With the Republican seats picked up in 2004 election, looks like support (65 currently) is there to pass the Senate aftr the July 4th break.

Source - Read Article Here
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 01:22 pm
Sigh
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 01:33 pm
well, that one american that burned a flag last year better watch his step, then.

i think the house and senate are making really marvelous use of their time, don't you ? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 01:42 pm
I don't think they should pass a flag burning ammendment. What they should do would be to make it perfectly legal for people to express their first ammendment rights by beating the crap out of anyone burning a flag.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 01:46 pm
another move to stir up patriotic feelings because we're a country at war. nothing more nothing less. bleat bleat.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 02:12 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Over the years, I've watched with horror several campaigns to get such an amendment. I can hardly think of a more horrific change to the Constitution, as it constitutes a partial repealing of the first amendment. If people were hauled off to jail merely for expressing a political viewpoint, this wouldn't be the United States any more - not the one the Founders created.

Why do you hate America?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 08:20 am
Ah, maybe this guys right and it's basically a distraction since the sponsor (Cuningham) is in some hot water for the sale of his house.

http://pmcarpenter.blogs.com/p_m_carpenters_commentary/2005/06/hj_res_10_a_bil.html

Still, most I'm reading says it has a high probability of passing.
0 Replies