Keep warm: throw another koran on the fire

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:07 am
Muslims clearly have an irrational attachment to the koran. What, to us, is unobjectionable or mildly annoying behavior is, to them, the height of sacrilege. Piss on a copy of the bible and christians would probably worry more about the hygenic consequences. Piss on a koran, however, and muslims are soon rioting in the streets. Obviously, we westerners have a much more sophisticated and mature attitude toward these inanimate objects. Sure, we recognize that these items might have some symbolism, but we certainly don't become completely and violently irrational when someone mishandles or abuses what is, after all, just a symbol. Remember, it's just a thing.

And on a totally unrelated note, congress is close to passing a constitutional amendment to prevent flag burning.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,485 • Replies: 140
No top replies

nimh

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:11 am
Heh.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:16 am
I was going to mention the flag-burning issue; I also thought of the furor over the artist whose oeuvre included a Jesus statuette suspended in a beaker of piss.

But then I realized that Joe was being a tad facetious...
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:18 am
Ah! but New Yorkers boo when a Pope is ripped in half.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:44 am
A "tad"?
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:48 am
Joe -

You and your DAMNED sarcasm. Wink

Flush the Flag I say!

Wait... the American's could give a crap? Nevermind...

TF
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:49 am
You got to admit that it is a big irony to the arguments of "it's just a book."
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:51 am
Maybe they should just legislate that all flags must be fire proof :-o
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:57 am
I don't think they should ban flag burning. I think they should create a law that allows veterans to shoot flag burners on sight.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:59 am
cjhsa wrote:
I don't think they should ban flag burning. I think they should create a law that allows veterans to shoot flag burners on sight.

That would sure allow the veterans their "freedom of expression."
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 11:01 am
cjhsa wrote:

Would vetrans that burn flags be exempt or would they be required to shoot themselves?
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 11:27 am
I am a veteran and my take is that I fought to protect your right to burn the flag. It is a symbol - nothing more. Your burning it is exactly the type of thing that makes America free. Or shoudl I say "free" now?

TF
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 11:34 am
Because of our "special knowledge and understanding" dervied by being of veteran status, all non-veterans may ask us veterans any question re constitutional law. domestic and/or foreign relations, stem cell reseach or space exploration.
Pretty weirdshit I'm thinking.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 11:44 am
Ticomaya wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

That would sure allow the veterans their "freedom of expression."

http://www.anonymousphilanthropist.com/jots/kodoskang.gif

"Free speech for some, tiny American flags for others!"
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 12:10 pm
Just becuase joe always likes it when I put songs into his head....

Quote:
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 12:12 pm
Hah! Too funny

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 12:29 pm
When I recall how our people (men, women, and children) were murdered on 9/11, and when I consider what Al Qaeda would do to my country and countrymen if allowed to, and when I consider how Al Qaeda treats their prisoners (e.g. heads sawed off), winning the war with them is much higher on my list of priorities than how we are wronging our prisoners. The latter is on the list, and abuses should not be tolerated, but I am much more concerned with the wellbeing of my country. To be in a war with a brutal, implacable enemy and most concerned about how you are wronging him strikes me as very perverse.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 12:32 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Just becuase joe always likes it when I put songs into his head....

Oh, great!

(singing quietly to myself) "I'm an amendment to be..."

Nope, still doesn't drown out the voices.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 12:32 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
The latter is on the list, and abuses should not be tolerated, but I am much more concerned with the wellbeing of my country. To be in a war with a brutal, implacable enemy and most concerned about how you are wronging him strikes me as very perverse.

Brandon,

This sounds an awful lot like how Osama Bin Ladin justifies his wrongdoings.

I was hoping we were better than that.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 12:34 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
When I recall how our people (men, women, and children) were murdered on 9/11, and when I consider what Al Qaeda would do to my country and countrymen if allowed to, and when I consider how Al Qaeda treats their prisoners (e.g. heads sawed off), winning the war with them is much higher on my list of priorities than how we are wronging our prisoners. The latter is on the list, and abuses should not be tolerated, but I am much more concerned with the wellbeing of my country. To be in a war with a brutal, implacable enemy and most concerned about how you are wronging him strikes me as very perverse.

Could someone please direct Brandon to the appropriate thread for this post?
0 Replies