Why do college professors lean/teach left?

ipxpert

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 02:23 pm
Seems antithetical to proper critical thinking.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 14 • Views: 4,544 • Replies: 119

blatham

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 02:26 pm
@ipxpert,
Pro tip: Go to university yourself. It is good for what ails you. I promise.
ipxpert

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 02:49 pm
@blatham,
Red herring. I promise.
blatham

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 03:12 pm
@ipxpert,
Is it? It could seem so if you presume I'm trying to distract attention from your question through use of an irrelevancy. But that's not the case. If there's a mistake in my response it is in presuming you were about to forward a very tiresome right wing notion that universities operate as a liberal propaganda institution. Most commonly, in my experience, those who forward this notion who actually don't know what they are talking about because they've never attended a university or where they have, it is toward some degree (such as Business) which has isolated them from 95% of a university curricula and from a similar percentage of a university's population.

So, the point here is familiarity with subject. That is, the difference between actual knowledge and assumed knowledge.

If I've made an error in my expectations of what might follow from your post, I apologize. If however I got that right and you're about to quote D'Souza or some such, then you've got a war on your hands.

Edit: Let me temper that last sentence. I'll engage you if I deem it worth my time. I'm not encouraged by your other post re Warren.
BillW

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 03:43 pm
In a nut shell - liberal is open mindedness: conservative is closed mindedness.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 03:45 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

In a nut shell - liberal is open mindedness: conservative is closed mindedness.

lol

That's funny. Liberal = dirty stinking hippy money grubber; conservative = the people that keep the country going with business and industry.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 04:56 pm
@blatham,
I recall how, in the early 80's when I began teaching, we had the "Rush Limbaugh" initiates from Sacramento try to make the world believe that EVERYTHING taught in Universities ws left leaning. Of course it must be mentioned that Limbaugh made it through but a few months of his freshman year in college.
Ive always wondered what a "left leaning " chemistry program would look like??
Perhaps it would be taught that only left rotational proteins would be worth our consideration, or in paleo sciences, levo rotatory gastropods and conodonts were the only ones that could lead us to petroleum deposits.

I wonder what left leaning Physics or engineering looks like?

Its jut anothr arena in which many of the RW talking heads have no idea of what they speak out of their asses.

BillRM

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 05:00 pm
I can well remember that after the shootings in the 60s at Kent State where the bulk of my university student body demand that we shut down for a day or so in honor of the dead rocks throwers.

The engineering school body however stated that either we would have classes or a refund of our tuition.

So we did have a normal day minus the dirty looks.

Oh a large percent of the science school join us also but no where near almost a 100 percent of the engineering school.
BillW

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 05:28 pm
@BillRM,
I can remember May 1 of 1970, my company was walking off an LZ in Viet Nam heading west. Our location was about 70 miles north of Saigon on the Cambodian border. All of sudden, about 30-40 huey helicopters (that is a bunch) went overhead, headed west. We stopped, broke ranks and turned on radios to find out what the hell was happening. Of course, the Cambodian invasion was under way. One day later during a resupply log, I got orders that a 7 day leave had been approved for me and in a few days I was headed for Hong Kong. When I got back from that, I had less than a couple weeks in country, so I had spent my last day in the field. I was headed back to "The World".
livinglava

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 05:53 pm
@ipxpert,
ipxpert wrote:

Seems antithetical to proper critical thinking.

It is, but there's a subtle culture within academia that associates left/Democrat with intelligence, and a less subtle culture that favors the party that supports giving more money to education.

Try telling a professor that you watch Fox News to understand popular thinking and they might respect that, but only after smirking and laughing a little in a condescending way. Then try saying that there are actually some things that Fox gets right and they will get more serious and agree with you a bit, but simultanously express a sense that Fox saying something valuable is an exception, implying that the rest of what Fox says is total garbage.

Now try the ultimate leftist blasphemy: tell the professor that you actually think Fox News is a better news source overall and that CNN etc. are more politically biased. At this point, the conversation just stops and you have been placed on the professor's "no longer take serious" list. You've just blacklisted yourself from recommendations, promotions, etc. unless the person sees helping you as an opportunity to set you straight from your delusion by getting you into some institution or job where you will be corrected.

Now think about all the people who have been blacklisted for choosing the wrong party and now go back and answer your own question of why college professors lean/teach left.
blatham

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 06:11 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Ive always wondered what a "left leaning " chemistry program would look like??
Indeed. Or archaeology. Or medicine. Or languages. Or, or, or...

There was a guy, I've forgotten his name just now, who was a key figure at Townhall for a while and who was a key figure in promulgation of the "universities are suppressing conservative ideas and voices". Bearded dude. Had previously been a Leninist. I picked up one of his books to take a look at what he was saying. It was possibly the least coherent and least scholarly book I've ever encountered. If I recall his name, I'll note it.

Edit: I got it. David Horowitz.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 06:17 pm
@BillRM,
I have a lot of respect for engineers. But that's for their engineering.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 06:19 pm
@BillW,
Quote:
I was headed back to "The World".
Glad you made it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 06:44 pm
Liking science makes one a lefty communist, doesn't it?
blatham

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 06:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yes, it does. Most particularly if dating techniques are involved (eg carbon dating) or if one is working in scientific fields related to climate change.
BillW

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 07:00 pm
@blatham,
Don't forget genetics.........big no-no!
blatham

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 07:06 pm
@BillW,
The evolution of species idea is Satanic unless you're a fundamentalist type whose income depends on breeding horses, cattle, swine, etc.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 07:20 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

I can well remember that after the shootings in the 60s at Kent State where the bulk of my university student body demand that we shut down for a day or so in honor of the dead rocks throwers.

The engineering school body however stated that either we would have classes or a refund of our tuition.

So we did have a normal day minus the dirty looks.

Oh a large percent of the science school join us also but no where near almost a 100 percent of the engineering school.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Which university were you attending in the 60's????? And when did your school demand time off to honor 'rock throwers' years before Kent State? Were you attending the School of Clairvoyance and Second Sight? -------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's interesting, First of all, that incident occurred on 4 May 1970 and Kent State University suspended classes immediately after the shootings and classes were suspended for 6 weeks, classes were not offered again until the summer term. Two of the students killed were not participating in the protest. Approx 67 shots were fired by the National Guard within 13 seconds, killing 4 and wounding 9 others. Half of the students killed or wounded were not even near the protest. Troops wild firings hit students in far away parking lots, at least one student was paralyzed and 8 others seriously wounded just because they were attending class.

Ohio State also suspended classes in early May following the deaths of the Kent state student and many other Ohio institutions followed suit.
BillW

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 07:31 pm
@blatham,
I got a Bachelor of Accountancy and a Management Information Systems degrees. Yeah, that's really liberal, right Confused
Wasn't allowed many electives and they were usually other business or law classes. I do remember one I took was a Mythology and Short Stories class.
Mythology was so revealing; a myth had 3 requirements:
1) It happened long ago in the past.
2) It is believed to be true by the people of origin.
3) It included acts of the fantastical/supernatural.
So, after I finished the class I say to myself; ahha, religion!
glitterbag

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 07:36 pm
@BillW,
ahahahahahaha