Why do college professors lean/teach left?

BillRM

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 10:41 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

BillRM wrote:

I can well remember that after the shootings in the 60s at Kent State where the bulk of my university student body demand that we shut down for a day or so in honor of the dead rocks throwers.

The engineering school body however stated that either we would have classes or a refund of our tuition.

So we did have a normal day minus the dirty looks.

Oh a large percent of the science school join us also but no where near almost a 100 percent of the engineering school.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Which university were you attending in the 60's????? And when did your school demand time off to honor 'rock throwers' years before Kent State? Were you attending the School of Clairvoyance and Second Sight? -------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's interesting, First of all, that incident occurred on 4 May 1970 and Kent State University suspended classes immediately after the shootings and classes were suspended for 6 weeks, classes were not offered again until the summer term. Two of the students killed were not participating in the protest. Approx 67 shots were fired by the National Guard within 13 seconds, killing 4 and wounding 9 others. Half of the students killed or wounded were not even near the protest. Troops wild firings hit students in far away parking lots, at least one student was paralyzed and 8 others seriously wounded just because they were attending class.

Ohio State also suspended classes in early May following the deaths of the Kent state student and many other Ohio institutions followed suit.

Silly person so it was early 70s not late 60s big deal and my University was the University of Miami. Hell I got my degree in 1972 as a matter of fact.

Next the protects following at the time cover most of the Universities in the US.

Now when you have green troops and you have a mob that is throwing rocks at them you are playing with fire to say the least.

The rock throwers not the kids in national guard uniforms are the guilty parties for all the deaths an injuries along perhaps with the idiots that place green troops in that situation in the first place.

Kind of remind me of the so call Boston Massacre all the way back in 1770 where once more you have green troops an a mob threatening them resulting in a lot of dead people.

Take note those English troops was charge with the shootings deaths an then try in a colony court and guess what they was found not guilty thanks to the future second president of the US who was their lawyer.

At least the poor national guards kids was not charge at Kent state.

Sturgis

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 11:16 pm
Some lean left and some to the right. A few others stay to the middle and then there are those who never mention their views. And let's not forget the ones that rarely show up.

Don't generalize. Plus, check out some of those wild religious beliefs schools.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2019 12:14 am
@BillRM,
Was your degree in engineering????? I'm guessing you didn't get a BA in English.
BillRM

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2019 11:04 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Was your degree in engineering????? I'm guessing you didn't get a BA in English.

Lol an any degree of your seem to have nothing to do with any field of logic.

But once more the guilty parties for those shootings and those deaths was the rock throwers and the idiots who put poorly train armed soldiers in harm way,
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2019 01:03 am
@glitterbag,
Conservatives have radio, t v, and most news media. Liberals have colleges.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2019 03:27 am
It's very possible that their left legs are a bit shorter than their right which would cause a list to the port side.
0 Replies

ipxpert

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2019 07:56 am
@livinglava,
Yes. Well stated.
0 Replies

ipxpert

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2019 07:57 am
@BillW,
Your nutshell is cracked.
0 Replies

ipxpert

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2019 07:59 am
@farmerman,
Hit a nerve?
0 Replies

ipxpert

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2019 08:32 am
@blatham,
You know it is. What a dreadful attempt at playing coy.

Familiarity with a subject can be advantageous or detrimental. It's a slippery slope that involves much more than actual or assumed knowledge. I'm happy to have a separate conversation about that notion.

What is your beef with D'Souza?

An educator's narrative should be to objectively & equally educate by providing opposing 'sides' which equips students with the tools to make their own objective choice. Indoctrination is small minded.
ipxpert

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2019 08:37 am
@Sturgis,
Quote:
Some lean left and some to the right. A few others stay to the middle and then there are those who never mention their views. And let's not forget the ones that rarely show up.

LOL. Good one.

Quote:
Don't generalize. Plus, check out some of those wild religious beliefs schools.

LOLLL. Like TCU?
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2019 10:51 am
@ipxpert,
ipxpert wrote:

An educator's narrative should be to objectively & equally educate by providing opposing 'sides' which equips students with the tools to make their own objective choice. Indoctrination is small minded.

Or at least to admit their views and biases but then fully and sincerely encourage students to think for themselves and express their (conflicting) views in a way that facilitates constructive discussion among differing viewpoints.
blatham

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2019 11:36 am
@ipxpert,
Quote:

I have a degree in Education. I'd be happy to wager that you do not. As to "red herring", I've studied Logic and can safely predict that you have not. I'd extend my wager further - that you have completed no degree in any area of study. That's the typical situation with chaps like yourself who believe themselves experts on education, universities and what goes on in them. I no longer waste my time.

Quote:
Aside from his felony indictment and incarceration and getting fired from King's College christian school, you mean? Pretty much everything.

Here's where you get put on ignore.

livinglava

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2019 05:24 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:

I have a degree in Education. I'd be happy to wager that you do not. As to "red herring", I've studied Logic and can safely predict that you have not. I'd extend my wager further - that you have completed no degree in any area of study. That's the typical situation with chaps like yourself who believe themselves experts on education, universities and what goes on in them. I no longer waste my time.

Quote:
Aside from his felony indictment and incarceration and getting fired from King's College christian school, you mean? Pretty much everything.

Anyone who truly feels comfortable with having mastered their knowledge doesn't attempt to pull rank on other people by boasting about their degree(s).

A true teacher listens to what others have to say and interacts with them in a way that teaches them something and/or supports their intellectual growth.

Your post doesn't do that at all, but maybe that's because you restrict your teaching to when you are in the classroom.

For some people, teaching is a vocation that they carry with them whether they are playing the formal role of teacher in a classroom setting or not.
farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2019 06:47 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:

Anyone who truly feels comfortable with having mastered their knowledge doesn't attempt to pull rank on other people by boasting about their degree(s).

A true teacher listens to what others have to say and interacts with them in a way that teaches them something and/or supports their intellectual growth.

Been teaching long have you?
blatham

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 06:24 am
@farmerman,
I'm sure he's been at it for decades, probably having even made pilgrimage to the site of Plato's Academy in Athens.
ipxpert

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 10:22 am
@blatham,
Quote:

If you actually have a degree (and based on your disingenuous answers, I highly doubt it), it's likely more inline with indoctrination than education.

Quote:

As mentioned; you are disingenuous at minimum and a simple liar at the more logical spectrum. It's interesting that you provided no proof of DD's firing because (shockingly) he wasn't fired. And why was DD jailed?

Quote:

Translation: I just got my ass repeatedly kicked by someone with a lesser degree than me, so I'd better tap out and stop my bleeding. Shocked
0 Replies

ipxpert

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 10:26 am
@livinglava,
Well stated ll. Why do you think these educators refuse to properly/logically educate?
farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 10:32 am
@ipxpert,
You are two blind guys standing around discussing the color Blue.
If youve never entered a college or have attained degrees, hown the hell are you even competent to discuss the subject??
Apparently youve got all your ideas fresh from the Limbaugh Institute of Bullshit.
farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 10:39 am
@blatham,
This approach wuld be more the Aristotelan "pwripatetic mode of learning". Makes it hard to do experimentation walking and discussing it with the teacher on the way to the Forum.

Remember, you can always shut off your mind and sink to their level of attainment. They will never, be able to attain yours.
I dont know how many old white douche bags Ive heard talking in a western barroom about how their kids arent learning anything in college. I always wonder why these folks even send them .