Why do college professors lean/teach left?

ipxpert

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 10:43 am
@livinglava,
Quote:
Anyone who truly feels comfortable with having mastered their knowledge doesn't attempt to pull rank on other people by boasting about their degree(s).

Yes. Some call it normative supremeness. Others call it the arrogance fallacy, while us peons simply call it prideful.

Quote:
A true teacher listens to what others have to say and interacts with them in a way that teaches them something and/or supports their intellectual growth.

Narratively speaking; this won't happen. Wink

Quote:
Your post doesn't do that at all, but maybe that's because you restrict your teaching to when you are in the classroom.

Or perhaps he/she is simply dealing with insecurity issues.

Quote:
For some people, teaching is a vocation that they carry with them whether they are playing the formal role of teacher in a classroom setting or not.

And for others; well - never mind.
0 Replies

ipxpert

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 11:22 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
You are two blind guys standing around discussing the color Blue.

Stop it - you're inside my head! I had the exact same thought when reading the drivel that you and your ilk posted while not answering the original question.

Quote:
If youve never entered a college or have attained degrees, hown the hell are you even competent to discuss the subject??

Causal fallacy, argumentum ad verecundiam, hasty generalization, circular argument, slippery slope, false dichotomy, and probably an appeal to ignorance... Are you sure you're an educator? You might need to brush up on a few basics. Maybe afterward we can meander back to the original question - or you can tuck your tail like your colleague did.

Quote:
Apparently youve got all your ideas fresh from the Limbaugh Institute of Bullshit.

I haven't listened to ole Rushbo in decades. I thought he retired. How is he? Still rich I assume. Is he still on air?
farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 11:42 am
@ipxpert,
perhaps Ive given you too much concern. Youve got your mind made up about ed. We need ignorant people but only those who wish to up their educational status.

Limbaugh used to be just as critical re methods of education from the same corners of defiant ignorance as you.
So While youre busy quoting your list of argument titles, why not give me your mthods about how teach chemistry or engineering??

I await your wisdom.

blatham

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 12:09 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
This approach wuld be more the Aristotelan "pwripatetic mode of learning". Makes it hard to do experimentation walking and discussing it with the teacher on the way to the Forum.
I was expecting our two experts to make the point.

Quote:
I dont know how many old white douche bags Ive heard talking in a western barroom about how their kids arent learning anything in college. I always wonder why these folks even send them.
Oh yes. And one can safely predict that such folks grew up in homes without a lot of damn books kicking about. Our dad had to leave school to work on the family farm in the prairies before he finished Grade 8. Yet he pushed all of us to pursue our educations as far as circumstances might permit. Mother's family had even stronger views on the value of education. Three of the four of us became educators and all of us have passed on the same love of books and learning to our kids.

But what these two numbskulls are voicing has a long tradition. Richard Hofstadter's "Anti-intellectualism in American Life" (in it's three chapters on the history of education) details this story very engagingly. Perhaps now that I've mentioned the work, these two fellows will order it from Amazon today or tomorrow. We know they're big on the whole learning thing.
ipxpert

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 01:05 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
perhaps Ive given you too much concern. Youve got your mind made up about ed. We need ignorant people but only those who wish to up their educational status.

Concerning yourself with lowly me is a futile exercise for the likes of you. I call out your drivel, you have no logical retort and it's uncomfortable. I get it, no one likes the curtain pulled back on them. Who is ed? Speaking of ignorance...

Quote:
Limbaugh used to be just as critical re methods of education from the same corners of defiant ignorance as you.
So While youre busy quoting your list of argument titles, why not give me your mthods about how teach chemistry or engineering??

Rushbo is an entertainer to a particular crowd. A successful entertainer at that. Clearly not my favorite, but successful. Your strawman tactics reveal your true abilities. If you desire to know my methods on any physical science, just start another thread and ask. In the meantime; try focusing and answer the original question on this thread.

ipxpert

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 01:16 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Oh yes. And one can safely predict that such folks grew up in homes without a lot of damn books kicking about. Our dad had to leave school to work on the family farm in the prairies before he finished Grade 8. Yet he pushed all of us to pursue our educations as far as circumstances might permit. Mother's family had even stronger views on the value of education. Three of the four of us became educators and all of us have passed on the same love of books and learning to our kids.

But what these two numbskulls are voicing has a long tradition. Richard Hofstadter's "Anti-intellectualism in American Life" (in it's three chapters on the history of education) details this story very engagingly. Perhaps now that I've mentioned the work, these two fellows will order it from Amazon today or tomorrow. We know they're big on the whole learning thing.

Thought you put me on "ignore". Apparently not. Ok - I'm still game, despite your latest ad hominem. Are you going to answer the original question logically or continue your childish emotion-based rhetoric?

Sturgis

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 01:25 pm
@ipxpert,
Quote:
Thought you put me on "ignore".

He was not responding to you in that post.
ipxpert

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 01:46 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
He was not responding to you in that post.

Here was his "ignore" warning:

@ipxpert,
Quote:
An educator's narrative should be to objectively & equally educate by providing opposing 'sides' which equips students with the tools to make their own objective choice. Indoctrination is small minded.

I have a degree in Education. I'd be happy to wager that you do not. As to "red herring", I've studied Logic and can safely predict that you have not. I'd extend my wager further - that you have completed no degree in any area of study. That's the typical situation with chaps like yourself who believe themselves experts on education, universities and what goes on in them. I no longer waste my time.

Quote:
What is your beef with D'Souza?
Aside from his felony indictment and incarceration and getting fired from King's College christian school, you mean? Pretty much everything.

Here's where you get put on ignore.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 01:53 pm
@ipxpert,
You are indicating the post where blatham told you he was putting you on "ignore" (6918864); however, when you say that he had placed you on ignore but is still responding to you, he is not. You cite a post in which he was responding to farmerman.
ipxpert

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 02:08 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
You are indicating the post where blatham told you he was putting you on "ignore" (6918864); however, when you say that he had placed you on ignore but is still responding to you, he is not. You cite a post in which he was responding to farmerman.

Thank you sir for the clarification. I apologize if incorrect. Will you, blatham or farmerman please indicate who was being discussed in this exchange:

"But what these two numbskulls are voicing has a long tradition. Richard Hofstadter's "Anti-intellectualism in American Life" (in it's three chapters on the history of education) details this story very engagingly. Perhaps now that I've mentioned the work, these two fellows will order it from Amazon today or tomorrow. We know they're big on the whole learning thing."
farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 02:38 pm
@ipxpert,
The original "question " IMM has been sufficiently dicussed. Im exploring from where you drug up your assumptions and what would you do to correct> Apparently thats a bit too much to ask of you.

I maintaind a chair in a science dept for almost 10 yars and I observed as many Conserv as libs . Maybe not 50:50 but close.
Youre assumptions seem to come from dot com sites who lean Right neh?

Ive asked you how youd use your vast knowledge to "propwrly" teach a science (I chose chem an engineering), you can do whatever you wish.

Dont keep trying your Passive aggressive means with insult "light". As a scientist whose presented numerous papers for consideration and has been subject to really excellent insults, I dont believe you can scare anyone away.

Even your means of sneaking away from Bernie is based on PA insult. Like Pres Trump, you com out first and accuse the other guy of what you are doing yourself hoping noone notices.

farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 02:52 pm
@ipxpert,
Quote:

Rushbo is an entertainer to a particular crowd. A successful entertainer at that. Clearly not my favorite, but successful. Your strawman tactics reveal your true abilities
that's because he too, is alaways an evidence-free source of critique of our ed systems. Youve almost used up all the adjectives with which can exclaim your displeasure with American higher ed. and insult those of us whove actually worked there, NOW, what's really on yer mind ??
farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 02:56 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Anti-intellectualism in American Life" (in it's three chapters on the history of education) details this story very engagingly.
In my rookie year teaching, many were caught by the college president's desire to scare the beejezus out of us. Up to that point I was only interested in covalent and hybrid bonding in petroleum bases.

ipxpert

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 04:07 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:

Thank you again for clarifying. blatham's decision to comment and remain involved second-handedly only shows his/her cowardice.
ipxpert

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 04:26 pm
@farmerman,
It's always the one with the dirty hands that are pointing the finger.

Quote:
The original "question " IMM has been sufficiently dicussed.

The question may have been discussed, but has not been answered, except by livinglava. In further comment, you wrongly accuse of P.A. These "discussions" and not answers reek of PA.

Quote:
Im exploring from where you drug up your assumptions and what would you do to correct> Apparently thats a bit too much to ask of you.

More PA. If you have a question, ask it - directly.

Quote:
I maintaind a chair in a science dept for almost 10 yars and I observed as many Conserv as libs . Maybe not 50:50 but close.
Youre assumptions seem to come from dot com sites who lean Right neh?

Ahhh - a pseudo-answer. That's a start at least. Thank you. What "assumptions" have I made?

Quote:
Ive asked you how youd use your vast knowledge to "propwrly" teach a science (I chose chem an engineering), you can do whatever you wish.

More PA and strawman. Where did I indicate my vast knowledge of propwrly teaching any subject, let alone science? While involved in science, I have no desire to teach it.

Quote:
Dont keep trying your Passive aggressive means with insult "light". As a scientist whose presented numerous papers for consideration and has been subject to really excellent insults, I dont believe you can scare anyone away.

Reference the top.

Quote:
Even your means of sneaking away from Bernie is based on PA insult. Like Pres Trump, you com out first and accuse the other guy of what you are doing yourself hoping noone notices.

More strawman. And who is Bernie?

0 Replies

ipxpert

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 04:54 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
that's because he too, is alaways an evidence-free source of critique of our ed systems. Youve almost used up all the adjectives with which can exclaim your displeasure with American higher ed. and insult those of us whove actually worked there, NOW, what's really on yer mind ??

Why do college professors lean/teach left?
0 Replies

ipxpert

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 04:55 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
In my rookie year teaching, many were caught by the college president's desire to scare the beejezus out of us. Up to that point I was only interested in covalent and hybrid bonding in petroleum bases.

Awesome.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 05:22 pm
@ipxpert,
Youre not too bright are you? My comments were fairly redolent with
the scent ofmy own life experience that counters the OP. Youve assumed a point and then began seeking data to verify. I dont play that game bubba.
Ive told you in nicer fashion that youre assumption is probably mere bullshit. Like my"Why are uneducated douche bags so against higher ed?"

When I taught, I was also on contract to several mining companies , the sum political temperature was clearly conservative center. (Much science denial is conservative and most scientists in the mining /metal/resource companies covered the spectrum from pro-life to gun hobbyists (Of which I include myself). NO-ONE that I knew had an anti science bent. Then When several colleagues an I went AND BEGAN our first company, I was more or less the"token" liberal moderate.

In other words, youve not provided a damned bit of fact to support the OP. Understand where Im coming from???

Bernie is B Latham.

farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 05:26 pm
@ipxpert,
Quote:
blatham's decision to comment and remain involved second-handedly only shows his/her cowardice.
No, bernie eschews intellectual tartegrades who pose as "xperts"
ipxpert

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 05:53 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Youre not too bright are you?

You're the one rattling off the logical fallacies. Ad hominem & slightly less an appeal to ignorance in this case. One would think an educator would show more intellect and discipline.

Quote:
My comments were fairly redolent with
the scent ofmy own life experience that counters the OP. Youve assumed a point and then began seeking data to verify. I dont play that game bubba.
Ive told you in nicer fashion that youre assumption is probably mere bullshit. Like my"Why are uneducated douche bags so against higher ed?"

Your life experiences are important to you but not so much to others. "probably mere bullshit" is cute I guess, but unrelated. Like stated before, if you have a question, ask it. Grandstanding and puffing your chest out is noteworthy at the primate area of your local zoo but not so much here.

Quote:
In other words, youve not provided a damned bit of fact to support the OP. Understand where Im coming from???

I suppose that's a kind-of question. Or underhanded question or ???

If you're asking for verification of the premise to my original question; here is a reasonable way to do it: Mr. OP - what leads you to believe that college professors lean/teach left?

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2016/10/03/voter-registration-data-show-democrats-outnumber-republicans-among-social-scientists

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/01/11/the-dramatic-shift-among-college-professors-thats-hurting-students-education/

https://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674059092&content=reviews

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_views_of_American_academics
0 Replies