Okay...let's see...where was I...

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 12:14 pm
neologist wrote:
You are the one who saw fit to call me a moron, Frank. It's one of the reasons I enjoy dancing around your recondite rhetoric with my simplicity.

If I called you a moron...and I do not remember doing so....I apologize sincerely and with no excuses for having done so.

But for you to continue to call yourself a moron...is to call into question whether or not you actually are one.

Quote:
I am constantly amazed at your inability to see the advantage of free will and subsequent failure to connect it, if even allegorically, to the Edenic story.

I am even more amazed that you are unwilling to see that the god of the Bible denied....expressedly denied....Adam and Eve the knowledge of good and evil...of right and wrong....

....and then punished them for what they did.

Since the god denied them knowledge of what was good and evil and right and wrong...

...their "free will" does not come into play.

They exercised their "free will" in a way they did not...AND COULD NOT...see as wrong.

What the hell is causing you to block this from your vision other than your abiding fear of the monster, barbaric god of the Bible?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 07:37 pm
Now that you've apologized, what fun will it be to play the moron card? You're a party pooper, Frank! Laughing

Adam and Eve knew the difference between right and wrong by their consciences which automatically prevented them from causing harm to one another. For example, they knew it was wrong to steal. And this knowledge applied to abstract things as well as possessions. It applied to God's right to set standards. God gave them everything they needed or could want and required only one thing in return. This one thing Adam and Eve desired for themselves. That's stealing, Frank. They knew it was wrong.

Coffee invitation still applies. Smile
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 08:39 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:

.....The idiotic myth of the Garden of Eden is a story about people deprived of the ability to recognize right from wrong or evil from good (by the god of the Bible)...and then punished for screwing up.......

And to make matters worse...the silly fable has this idiotic god setting them up for failure...not only by putting them in an unconscionable situtation...but also by including in their midst the arch-tempter of the universe........
What the hell is the value of "free will" if you are deprived of the knowledge of good and evil...of right and wrong?.....

Adam and Eve certainly had the ability to recognize right from wrong , evil from good. The "knowledge" of good and evil that is spoken of is the experience of good and evil.

The word "know" is used to signify many different things in the Old Testament, as in "Adam knew his wife and she conceived". It is obviously speaking of sexual intimacy, in that instance.

God did not want Adam and Eve to experience both good AND evil. He had created them in perfection, without sin.

Adam and Eve certainly recognized the responsibility they had been given and understood that to disobey God would be wrong.

They had free will as you and I do today. They chose to disobey God just as you and I do today. They weren't some clueless lobotomized critters stumbling around in the dark.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 09:01 pm
real life wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

.....The idiotic myth of the Garden of Eden is a story about people deprived of the ability to recognize right from wrong or evil from good (by the god of the Bible)...and then punished for screwing up.......

And to make matters worse...the silly fable has this idiotic god setting them up for failure...not only by putting them in an unconscionable situtation...but also by including in their midst the arch-tempter of the universe........
What the hell is the value of "free will" if you are deprived of the knowledge of good and evil...of right and wrong?.....

Adam and Eve certainly had the ability to recognize right from wrong , evil from good. The "knowledge" of good and evil that is spoken of is the experience of good and evil.

The word "know" is used to signify many different things in the Old Testament, as in "Adam knew his wife and she conceived". It is obviously speaking of sexual intimacy, in that instance.

God did not want Adam and Eve to experience both good AND evil. He had created them in perfection, without sin.

Adam and Eve certainly recognized the responsibility they had been given and understood that to disobey God would be wrong.

They had free will as you and I do today. They chose to disobey God just as you and I do today. They weren't some clueless lobotomized critters stumbling around in the dark.
Yeah, what you said. And what I said, too.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 09:25 pm
neologist wrote:
real life wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Yeah, what you said. And what I said, too.

Yep you said it first. Okay second or third or..... It was in the Bible first anyhow.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 01:35 am
I think there is another way to interpret it... both Neo and Real.

Adam and Eve did not know if the things that they did were good or evil...

They were prehistoric.

They had neither knowledge of evil OR good. They were animals and naked. Kind of like Frank... hehe

Yet, God overlooked this because of grace and humans were in harmony with the earth. God did not want humans to feel evil and shame...

When their eyes were "open" they realized they had been rather uncivilized. Again like Frank... Smile

Yet when they realized they suddenly had the capacity for evil... well they began at the simple evil stuff then they graduated to the more sophisticated evil of high treason against the only God at the time.

They gave dominion over the world (which God had given them) to the devil, why? Because they "knew" it was evil and they choose to partake.

This is why it is called "the fall" of Adam and Eve? Because they purposefully and consciously fell into evil. The only other fall in the Bible that is compared to the expanse of the fall of Adam and Eve is the fall of Lucifer.

They chose the greater of two evils and the lesser of two goods.

Smile
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 08:00 am
And you read all this where?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 10:08 am
neologist wrote:

What point in particular do you need reference for?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 10:34 am
RexRed wrote:
neologist wrote:

Points, actually:
RexRed wrote:

They were prehistoric.

They had neither knowledge of evil OR good. They were animals and naked. Kind of like Frank... hehe

Yet, God overlooked this because of grace and humans were in harmony with the earth. God did not want humans to feel evil and shame...

When their eyes were "open" they realized they had been rather uncivilized. Again like Frank...

Yet when they realized they suddenly had the capacity for evil... well they began at the simple evil stuff then they graduated to the more sophisticated evil of high treason against the only God at the time.

They gave dominion over the world (which God had given them) to the devil, why? Because they "knew" it was evil and they choose to partake.

This is why it is called "the fall" of Adam and Eve? Because they purposefully and consciously fell into evil. The only other fall in the Bible that is compared to the expanse of the fall of Adam and Eve is the fall of Lucifer.

0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 11:02 am
neologist wrote:
RexRed wrote:
neologist wrote:

Points, actually:
RexRed wrote:

They were prehistoric.

When their eyes were "open" they realized they had been rather uncivilized. Again like Frank...

Ge 2:25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

Mt 4:8
Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;

Comment:
How could the devil credibly offer Jesus the kingdoms of the world if he did not have dominion over them?

How did the devil go from one who was only a lowly tempting snake in a tree to being "the prince of the power of the air"?

Adam and Eve gave him the power God had entrusted them with...

They felt that if they gave the devil their earthly dominion the devil could use it to usurp God's kingdom... That is exactly what the devil has done...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 11:35 am
neologist wrote:

Adam and Eve knew the difference between right and wrong by their consciences...

Not according to the text.

They simply did not know the difference between right and wrong...good and evil. In fact, it was from the fruit of the tree which would give them that knowledge that your god forbade them to eat.

Why are you pretending in the face of irrefutable evidence to the contrary that they did?

How can such a transparent distortion of what is written possible be of any use to you?

Quote:
... which automatically prevented them from causing harm to one another.

You do not know that to be the case at all. You are simply inventing this stuff in order not to have to concede the obvious....that Adam and Eve did not know the difference between right and wrong.

Quote:
For example, they knew it was wrong to steal.

Where on earth do you get this from? Where does it say that they knew it was wrong to steal?

Quote:
And this knowledge applied to abstract things as well as possessions. It applied to God's right to set standards. God gave them everything they needed or could want and required only one thing in return. This one thing Adam and Eve desired for themselves. That's stealing, Frank. They knew it was wrong.

BUT THE BIBLE SAYS THAT THEY DID NOT KNOW THAT!

Why are you insisting that they did?

That is not a rhetorical question, Neo. Search for the answer. There is a huge amount of information for you when you find it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 11:38 am
real life wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

THEY DID NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GOOD AND EVIL...BETWEEN RIGHT AND WRONG.

The Bible tells you that.

The only reason you people are going through these absurd contortions is because you see the story to be absurd.

The only reason you folks go through the absurd contortions trying to make the god into something reasonable....rather than the murderous barbarian it is...is because you see the god the same way I see it. You want to change that....and your attempts are laughable.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 07:06 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
real life wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

THEY DID NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GOOD AND EVIL...BETWEEN RIGHT AND WRONG.

The Bible tells you that.

The only reason you people are going through these absurd contortions is because you see the story to be absurd.

The only reason you folks go through the absurd contortions trying to make the god into something reasonable....rather than the murderous barbarian it is...is because you see the god the same way I see it. You want to change that....and your attempts are laughable.

Hi Frank,

Why are you pretending that the word "know" can only have the meaning you suggest when it is very clear from both the Bible examples given and from our common experience that "know" can carry a variety of meanings?

This is the same tack you attempted when discussing Pharaoh, when you insisted that the word "make" could only have the meaning you suggested instead of admitting, based on both the context and from language usage that "make" can carry a variety of meanings.

You know, Frank, some folks have on occasion said that I take the Bible too literally. But with your insistence of rigid meanings for words to back up your presuppositions, I have to say, that when it comes to a literal interpretation of the Bible, you da man.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 08:13 pm
RexRed wrote:
Comment:
How could the devil credibly offer Jesus the kingdoms of the world if he did not have dominion over them?

How did the devil go from one who was only a lowly tempting snake in a tree to being "the prince of the power of the air"?

They felt that if they gave the devil their earthly dominion the devil could use it to usurp God's kingdom... That is exactly what the devil has done...
True; Satan is the ruler of the world.
False; the power was given to him not by Adam and Eve, but by God.
"Satan has demanded to have YOU men to sift YOU as wheat." (Luke 22:31)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 08:16 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
. . .Blah Blah Blah . . .

That is not a rhetorical question, Neo. Search for the answer. There is a huge amount of information for you when you find it.
The answer is simple, Frank: Where would Adam and Eve be today if they had not eaten the fruit? What would the earth be like?

According to the fairy tale, that is.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 08:35 pm
neologist wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Comment:

True; Satan is the ruler of the world.
False; the power was given to him not by Adam and Eve, but by God.
"Satan has demanded to have YOU men to sift YOU as wheat." (Luke 22:31)

Genesis 1:26
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion...

Comment:
How else did the devil obtain dominion of the world?

I don't see how the wheat scripture relates... and by the way I can be proven wrong... I am just waiting for myself to slip. Smile
Rare occasion though. Smile

...thus my one word answers which are usually a question. Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 08:38 pm
neologist wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
. . .Blah Blah Blah . . .

The answer is simple, Frank: Where would Adam and Eve be today if they had not eaten the fruit? What would the earth be like?

According to the fairy tale, that is.

They would still be in paradise... Smile

...instead of waiting for judgment.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 01:30 pm
real life wrote:
[Hi Frank,

Why are you pretending that the word "know" can only have the meaning you suggest when it is very clear from both the Bible examples given and from our common experience that "know" can carry a variety of meanings?

This is the same tack you attempted when discussing Pharaoh, when you insisted that the word "make" could only have the meaning you suggested instead of admitting, based on both the context and from language usage that "make" can carry a variety of meanings.

You know, Frank, some folks have on occasion said that I take the Bible too literally. But with your insistence of rigid meanings for words to back up your presuppositions, I have to say, that when it comes to a literal interpretation of the Bible, you da man.

You Christians twish the meaning of words in the Bible because even you poor deluded folks realize that the god contained in it....and the "advice" the god gives....are horseshyt.

The Bible plainly tells us that did not know the difference between good and evil...between right and wrong...and that the GOD INSISTED THAT THEY NOT LEARN THAT DIFFERENCE.

And then when they did something the pathetic god didn't like...he went completely apeshyt and punished them incredibly severely (even though they did NOT KNOW THEY WERE DOING ANYTHING WRONG)....and punished the entire rest of humanity very severely also.

The Bible specifically states that the god of the Bible BRAGGED THAT HE WAS GOING TO MAKE PHARAOH OBDURATE.

There is no other context for that stuff....because the context confirms MY interpretation...not yours. If yours were correct....why do all the plagues and slaughter of innocent babies? The god could have lifted the Hebrews up out of bondage after rendering Pharaoh and his people unconscious for a few hours.

Wake the hell up.

What the hell is needed to get that through your thick skull?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 01:35 pm
You know you are getting to Frank when he yells and uses naughty words. Probably you should wait until he's had his Pluto Water before you challenge him.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 01:49 pm
neologist wrote:
You know you are getting to Frank when he yells and uses naughty words. Probably you should wait until he's had his Pluto Water before you challenge him.

Try dealing with the truth, Neo. You will never make it in stand-up.
0 Replies