Can atheists believe in an immortal soul?

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 10:54 am
I had never quite looked at it this way, but apparently belief in an immortal soul is not restricted to believers. I thought it was until I ran into this aside posted by Glenn here
leadfoot wrote:
If you don’t experience something now in this irreplaceable life, it is lost to you forever.
Glennn wrote:
Your statement assumes that others share your mistaken belief that after death, a person will be consciously and continually aware of what was missed.
At first I thought Glenn's statement lacked logical connection to the OP.
But then there were several positive replies and upthumbs.
So, can one not believe in a god and still expect his consciousness to extend indefinitely?
Or am I as obtuse as my grandchildren claim?

Smileyrius

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 11:32 am
@neologist,
I might be going boss eyed, I've read it a few times, I see Glenn dismissing belief in an immortal soul as "mistaken"
I however, could be the one that is mistaken
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 11:47 am
Soul, as defined by believers, does not exist, in my book.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 12:02 pm
@neologist,
Leadfoot made it sound like a missed experience will be felt as a loss. My point was that when you are dead, you will not be aware of what was missed.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 12:50 pm
At first, I did not consider leadfoot's post as extending to afterlife.
Thasall
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 03:22 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
At first, I did not consider leadfoot's post as extending to afterlife.
Thasall
I made it clear that that was the case. I was not talking about an afterlife, that was Glennn's bone.
Glennn

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 04:27 pm
@Leadfoot,
Referring to that other thread, you introduced the idea that a so-called atheist should have no reason for not doing recreational drugs. Since you made that assumption, I made the assumption that you must believe that a theist has a reason for not doing drugs. And since the difference between a so-called atheist and a theist is that one believes in a god and an afterlife, and one does not believe in an afterlife, it is a mystery to me how you don't understand that it was your bone.
neologist

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 05:23 pm
@Glennn,
Actually, a sober reading of the scriptures shows that the soul does not survive death.

We do not have souls we are souls.

So the whole scenario is about fluff.
Glennn

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 05:41 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
Actually, a sober reading of the scriptures shows that the soul does not survive death.

What ends up in Heaven, then?
Quote:
We do not have souls we are souls.

You're saying that we don't survive death. Okay.
Quote:
So the whole scenario is about fluff.

Yes, I agree that Leadfoot's scenario is about fluff.
TomTomBinks

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 10:06 pm
@neologist,
Speaking as a former theist and as a present atheist, I think an atheist can believe in an afterlife. Indulge me for a moment in a science - fictiony kinda way: The human mind is very complex, so complex that it can perceive other hidden dimensions. After the death of the body, the mind continues. It is then free to travel through these other dimensions, maybe through time, and to commune with those who have already passed. Maybe it can experience other worlds, maybe it can re - enter the realm of the living by being born in another body. Voila, afterlife, no gods required. I'm not saying I believe this myself. It would be nice. I guess I'll wait and see.
Kolyo

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 10:30 pm
@TomTomBinks,
Yeah, why couldn't an atheist believe in all sorts of magical things? Granted, most don't, but not believing in God doesn't logically rule out believing in other unproven phenomena. Does it?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 12:24 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
. . . What ends up in Heaven, then? . .
God has the power and the right to choose some humans for heavenly life. It's what the "New Testament" actually is about. The book of Revelation describes their role as "kings and priests" (Revelation 1:6, 5:10).

The problem, at least to me, is you have to die in order to get there.
Bummer!
Matthew 5:5 seems preferable.
nacredambition

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 07:55 am
@neologist,
Quote:
we are souls

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 09:51 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
Can atheists believe in an immortal soul?

I don't see why not. I wouldn't normally expect it, but I don't think they are mutually exclusive conditions.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 11:09 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

So, can one not believe in a god and still expect his consciousness to extend indefinitely?
Or am I as obtuse as my grandchildren claim?

It's the latter.
timur

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 11:18 am
@InfraBlue,
Laughing
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 11:26 am
@neologist,
Quote:
The problem, at least to me, is you have to die in order to get there.
Bummer!
Matthew 5:5 seems preferable.
I was always curious about where you got that destiny from. But don't you think it odd that in that chapter alone, entering the Kingdom of Heaven is mentioned at least 6 times and this inference about 'earth' only that once?

I always assumed that particular verse referred to inheriting the earth during the 1000 years, not the final destination.
neologist

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2016 04:00 pm
@Leadfoot,
First reference to the kingdom I can think of is at Daniel 2:44. It is clearly a reference to earth, as is the future of the teachable as noted in Psalm 37:11.
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2016 05:26 pm
@neologist,
Not clear to me that that verse refers to earth or heaven. But while "a kingdom" is questionable, the "Kingdom of Heaven" is obvious that it means 'Heaven', not earth.
neologist

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2016 12:35 am
@Leadfoot,
The source of the government is heavenly. - Revelation 5:10