Okay...let's see...where was I...

neologist

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 10:00 pm
Spoken like the quintessential man of reason.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 10:37 pm
Doktor S,

Now that you told me what the picture was, I can see it. Thanx for telling us.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:31 pm
Whose this Frank I keep hearing of?

My interest is switched to "on" mode.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:34 pm
Frank,

Hmmm. Well, Frank is a real enigma, if you ask me. He has vast knowledge of the Bible, but claims to not believe in much of anything. (I hope I got that right.) He is one heck of a debater though. He and I would really get into it sometimes.

If you go to the original post in this thread, you will see his picture.

He brought quite a bit of, uh, uh, let's see, what is the right word here?, stimulating conversation?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 04:33 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Interesting thread...
I see it like this.
Say I invented a creature called googleshnortz, and assert that this great purple blob created everything that is orange in color.
Absent of proof, the claim stands as ridiculous and without any basis or merit.
Believers in googleshnortz, however, have managed to convince a group of people to the point where they say..well..maybe googleshrortz is real, after all, there is nothing to 'disprove' his existance.
Given the complete lack of evidence and rational grounding, to say googleshnortzs might be is as ludicrous as saying googleshnortz IS.
Such as it is with all current spiritual boogymen, but especially the one of christian manufacture. So long has this ridiculous mythology integrated itself with our culture that even some of those that would claim to be rational will say 'well, maybe.'
When in fact there is no rational answer but 'show me the proof or shut up about it'

You are living the proof... Or did you think we all just popped out of a balloon? You don't know where existence came from... until you do maybe you should stop telling people to shut up and start listening... Smile
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 06:11 pm
Quote:

You are living the proof... Or did you think we all just popped out of a balloon? You don't know where existence came from... until you do maybe you should stop telling people to shut up and start listening...

Nice, an ad ignorantiam and a false dichotomy in two sentences. What a delicious example of fallacious argument. Very Happy
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 07:24 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Quote:

You are living the proof... Or did you think we all just popped out of a balloon? You don't know where existence came from... until you do maybe you should stop telling people to shut up and start listening...

Nice, an ad ignorantiam and a false dichotomy in two sentences. What a delicious example of fallacious argument. Very Happy

I believe it is you that used the ad ignorantiam...

You seem to insinuate that there needs to be proof of some deity... then you ignore "reality" which is the proof... If reality did not exist then your insistence for proof of a God might actually hold some water...

Yet you ignore the proof/reality and then as if you have some secret knowledge, you seem to openly deny God's existence.

Doesn't our existence prove that we exist? Yes it does... Existence then "naturally" progresses logically to the questions who, what and how did existence come to "exist"? Existence is both physical and spiritual.

Some person or thing "obviously" has the "power" to light up the stars create and breathe life into matter... To deny this is to deny our own humble beginnings...

Science prides themselves on their powers of observation yet they deny existence itself...

So before the big bang there was nothing? Even a five year old can come up with a better one than that... Smile
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 07:53 pm
Quote:

This makes it quite apparent that you don't know what an 'ad ignorantiam' argument is.
Pay attention, you are about to learn something. An 'argumentum ad ignorantium' is an argument from ignorance. To say X is true because you can't prove X isn't true. So when you say
Quote:

you are presenting a textbook version of this logical fallacy.
A 'false dichotomy' is when two choices are presented as if they were the only possible choices, when no indication is given that such is the case.
Here is a textbook example:
Quote:

You are living the proof... Or did you think we all just popped out of a balloon?

Also, you have in your most recent post forwarded a series of non-sequiturs. A non sequitur is when the conclusion does not rationally follow from the premise.
Quote:

then you ignore "reality" which is the proof...

Quote:

Existence then "naturally" progresses logically to the questions who, what and how did existence come to "exist"? Existence is both physical and spiritual.

Quote:

Some person or thing "obviously" has the "power" to light up the stars create and breathe life into matter... To deny this is to deny our own humble beginnings...

Then step over to an outright absurdity
Quote:

Science prides themselves on their powers of observation yet they deny existence itself...

And top it off with another false dichotomy.
Quote:

So before the big bang there was nothing?

Nice post. I'd think it was a joke if I hadn't read a bunch of your previous work.

You sir, are a fuzzy thinker.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 02:25 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Quote:

This makes it quite apparent that you don't know what an 'ad ignorantiam' argument is.
Pay attention, you are about to learn something. An 'argumentum ad ignorantium' is an argument from ignorance. To say X is true because you can't prove X isn't true. So when you say
Quote:

you are presenting a textbook version of this logical fallacy.
A 'false dichotomy' is when two choices are presented as if they were the only possible choices, when no indication is given that such is the case.
Here is a textbook example:
Quote:

You are living the proof... Or did you think we all just popped out of a balloon?

Also, you have in your most recent post forwarded a series of non-sequiturs. A non sequitur is when the conclusion does not rationally follow from the premise.
Quote:

then you ignore "reality" which is the proof...

Quote:

Existence then "naturally" progresses logically to the questions who, what and how did existence come to "exist"? Existence is both physical and spiritual.

Quote:

Then step over to an outright absurdity
Quote:

And top it off with another false dichotomy.
Quote:

So before the big bang there was nothing?

Nice post. I'd think it was a joke if I hadn't read a bunch of your previous work.

You sir, are a fuzzy thinker.

My response was to your use of the ad ignorantium in the first place.

You assume people are "guessing" about God yet you tell them to "shut up" because they exhibit no proof. Yet they have more proof of existence and a creator than you do of no creator in light of existence. So they are on the common sense side. The fundamental logic that something does not if ever come from "nothing".

It is your ad ignorantium that expects people to go against basic and well trodden logic. If you were just saying you do not know then that would be one thing. But you tell people to cease from speaking of a creator. Why, on what logic? Because the world exists? So there is no creator because the world exists? This is the logic you have adopted.

Your "argumentum ad ignorantium" is considerably weaker.

Even the basic laws of science in the physical world use "cause and effect" to describe most all natural phenomenon. That does not mean that the universe necessarily did NOT come from nothing but considering the preponderance of parallel truths it is rather a safe bet to assume that "something" was instrumental in bringing this universe into existence as opposed to the idea that we just sort of "popped out of a balloon"...

Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 02:31 pm
Here is another one of your argumentum ad ignorantium:

There can be no creator because it would take to much intelligence, power and space...

That is almost as bad as,

There can be no creator because the universe came from nothing...

Smile
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 05:18 pm
Rex, are you for real?
Why even bother pretending, man..it's obvious you don't have a clue about logic. let's just leave it at that.
My 'ad ignorantium' argument you cited wasn't an ad ignorantium' at all, and even though I took the time to explain to you what an 'argumentum ad ignorantium' was, you somehow still don't understand. Oh well.
If you want to believe our existence is in an of itself 'proof' of a creator, go ahead. I won't even bother telling you why THAT is fallacious.
I have neither the time nor patience to try to teach you logic and critical thinking.

Oh and by the way, that 'quote' that you tried to label as a 'ad ignorantium' in your second post -
A - Wasn't me. Whatchu' been smokin son?
B - Though this conclusion relies on a shaky premise, it clearly isn't an ad ignorantium.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 02:19 am
Death versus creation... Smile
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 02:20 am
RexRed wrote:
Death versus creation... Smile

Huh?
Whatever man happy hollidays or merry krishnas or whathaveyou
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 06:42 pm
It's OK Dok

Rex has a store account at Non-Sequiturs-R-Us
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:06 am
Doktor S wrote:
real life wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
Interesting thread...
I see it like this.
Say I invented a creature called googleshnortz, and assert that this great purple blob created everything that is orange in color.
Absent of proof, the claim stands as ridiculous and without any basis or merit.
Believers in googleshnortz, however, have managed to convince a group of people to the point where they say..well..maybe googleshrortz is real, after all, there is nothing to 'disprove' his existance.
Given the complete lack of evidence and rational grounding, to say googleshnortzs might be is as ludicrous as saying googleshnortz IS.
Such as it is with all current spiritual boogymen, but especially the one of christian manufacture. So long has this ridiculous mythology integrated itself with our culture that even some of those that would claim to be rational will say 'well, maybe.'
When in fact there is no rational answer but 'show me the proof or shut up about it'

I don't usually comment on avatars, but regarding yours, is that a swastika on the forehead? I'm not sure that anything you say about rationality holds any credibility for me at this point.

What does my avatar have to do with anything?
Is this the kind of irrelevant drivel you generally reply with?
Besides, you're a theist..what do you need with rationality.

For the record, it's a caracature of charles manson, no I'm not a nazi, but the picture is pleasing to my eye.

If you had read my comment, you'd see it says I don't usually comment on avatars.

But it's bizarre responses such as yours that are the reason I say nothing you have said about rationality holds any credibility.

So are you a Manson fan? Do you think he should be released?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:49 am
Quote:

But it's bizarre responses such as yours that are the reason I say nothing you have said about rationality holds any credibility.

Huh?
What are you talking about?
Regardless, you are certainly not to be held as any kind of authority on what is rational, that's for sure Razz

Quote:

So are you a Manson fan? Do you think he should be released?

No.
0 Replies