Okay...let's see...where was I...

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 09:04 am
Eorl

Your arguments are so wrong...I almost don't know where to begin.

I'll take it piece by piece.

Quote:
Agnostics clearly have defendable ground philosophically. It is a fortress on a hill. It also allows the rest of the town to be pillaged and burnt while you rest securely inside your castle.

Atheism has the ability to say "I think you theists are wrong, and I do actually have HEAPS of evidence to back up that claim"

No, Eorl. Atheism, at best, can say to people who "believe" there is a God....that they (the atheists) "believe" there are no gods.

And I've never seen anything that even remotely resembles evidence that there are no gods other than..."you people cannot produce your gods."

Quote:
Agnostics have to accept that most (if not all) theist claims may in fact be true, therefore cannot effectively argue against actions theists may want to take with which you would otherwise object.

Well...the fact of the matter is that theistic claims MAY indeed be true. Their guesses about REALITY may be correct. And of course, atheistic claims MAY indeed be true. Your guesses about REALITY may be correct.

Are you suggesting that you know their claims ARE NOT TRUE?

And if so, please produce your proof of this assertion.

Quote:
For example: A theist may declare that every baby born in the village will be baptised because a god expects it to be done. An agnostic would find this harder to counter than an atheist, for he is forced to concede that the theist may, in fact, be right if the agnostic has no proof that it isn't true.

If a majority of the people want something to happen...and there are no safeguards in place to protect the rights of the minority...then whatever the majority wants happens.

That is a discussion better suited for the political forum.

Here, we are discussing the question: What is the true nature of REALITY?

I do not know the true nature of REALITY....so I cannot exclude the possibility that there is a God...or the possibility that there are no gods.

If you can...produce the evidence upon which you base it so we can all see it and evaluate it.

Quote:
Also, atheism allows for the potential establishment of a "default" system of belief: ie "There are no gods until someone proves otherwise" which allows systems of government , law, etc. to function on that basis. An agnostic system would have to allow for every individual system of belief which would be impractical because of the contradictions (which could be why the USA struggles with separation of church and state?)

Atheism allows for only one thing: It allows theists to continue with their reasoning that the true nature of REALITY can be known...or surmised. It does not contradict that assertion. It merely suggests that the theists are wrong in what they claim to know, believe, or surmise.

Essentially, atheism is simply guessing in the opposite direction of what theism guesses.

Atheism, in short, abets theism.

Agnosticism, on the other hand, challenges the foundations of theism...something atheism cannot do.

Quote:
In summary I propose that: Agnosticism is fine for the individual while atheism has more to contribute to society !?

The only thing atheism has to contribute to society is the perpetuation of the myth that the ultimate nature of REALITY can be known or surmised.

That is a net negative for society.

Atheism has nowhere near as much to contribute to society than does agnosticism.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 09:07 am
dyslexia wrote:
the major difference, as far as I can see, is the company one keeps. Agnostics can be sooo boring as simply to pass-out in any public place (or sidewalk( whereas atheists are like party animals.
High Frank!

Guilty as charged....and goddam proud of it.

You will be happy to know, Dys, that your boot print has finally worn off my forehead.

:wink:
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 09:14 am
(so far, dyslexia has made the only bulletproof argument in favor of atheism)
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 09:30 am
Frank
Frank, it's about time you got your lazy butt back here so we can pick on you.

I became an agnostic when I was about fourteen years old. I made this decision after studying the religions of the world on my own. By age 23, I decided that agnosticism was a cop-out and after thinking about it for a while, I became an atheist.

I'm now nearly 76 years old and have never found anything to cause me to change my mind---even after continuing study of religious movements around the world.

If it turns out there really is a God, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out it is Dog (god spelled backwards.)

BBB
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 10:57 am
BBB

You wrote:

Quote:
By age 23, I decided that agnosticism was a cop-out and after thinking about it for a while, I became an atheist.

Why did you decide that agnosticism is a cop-out????

I do not see it as a cop-out in any respect.

The question being asked is: What is the nature of the Ultimate REALITY?

If you do not know the answer to that question...how can acknowledging that you do not know possibly be a cop-out?

Why would you possibly consider guessing to be an improvement on that?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 11:11 am
Personally I think we're arguing over semantics, but I don't have the time to elaborate now. This internet connection in the hotel costs $10.00 a day. That's ridiculous.

Bernie says to say that he thinks Agnosticism is nothing but Atheism Lite. And I agree.

Dys,

From one party animal to another......atheists rule!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 11:52 am
Lola:-

That alone was worth $10 of the MG's cash.Cheap at twice the price.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 01:11 pm
Lola wrote:
Personally I think we're arguing over semantics, but I don't have the time to elaborate now. This internet connection in the hotel costs $10.00 a day. That's ridiculous.

Bernie says to say that he thinks Agnosticism is nothing but Atheism Lite. And I agree.

Dys,

From one party animal to another......atheists rule!

You guys couldn't be more wrong...but I'll wait until you have more time to rationalize. :wink:
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 06:41 pm
Frank
Frank wrote: "Why did you decide that agnosticism is a cop-out????

If you do not know the answer to that question...how can acknowledging that you do not know possibly be a cop-out?

Why would you possibly consider guessing to be an improvement on that?"

Frank, I recall my agnostic reasoning as a teenager was to protect myself from the abuse of atheists by the public. I was adopted and raised in a religious, but hypocritic family. If you think atheist have a tough time today, you have to realize how difficult it was in my youth. It took me about ten years to have the courage to acknowledge that I really was an atheist.

I spent years reading, discussing in a rational manner to reach my conclusion and I continue to explore this topic today.

I guess I don't have to explain my reasons to anyone. They are mine and do not need defending. I wouldn't expect you to do otherwise.

BBB
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 07:56 pm
BBB wrote:
Quote:
I guess I don't have to explain my reasons to anyone. They are mine and do not need defending. I wouldn't expect you to do otherwise.

BBB

Of course you don't have to explain your reasons to anyone, but I would be most appreciative if you did. Also, your response begs the question: If you're not here to explain your values, then why are you here? (<--This is not an attempt at nastiness, just an honest question. )

To my mind, explaining and questioning value systems are the main reason we're here. I welcome questions and suggestions, and would expect others to feel similarly. Is there some reason you don't wish to share on this particular topic? Hope to hear from you soon.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 11:26 pm
Frank,

I knew I was in for a bruising when I got in the ring with you !! S'OK I'm up for it.

I see the whole situation a bit like this question:

34x + 11x =

a) 454
b) 57 million
c) calcium
d) gravity

The agnostic response is : the answer cannot be known.

The atheist response is a) 454

The agnostic answer is more correct, while the atheist answer is more useful. If this was a question you were faced with to save your life what would you choose?

Are all answers equally likely just because you cannot be certain?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 11:50 pm
Hi, Frank. Welcome back.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 12:34 am
Taliesin181
Taliesin181, I've spent a lifetime exploring what I believed, trying to explain to others my beliefs, developing a thick skin in defense of my beliefs. There comes a time when I no longer want to engage in debate with others who scorn atheism. I do not imply that you or many other A2Kers are among those that scorn.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 03:21 am
Eorl wrote:
Frank,

I knew I was in for a bruising when I got in the ring with you !! S'OK I'm up for it.

Nope...no bruising. Just discussion.

Quote:

I see the whole situation a bit like this question:

34x + 11x =

a) 454
b) 57 million
c) calcium
d) gravity

The agnostic response is : the answer cannot be known.

The atheist response is a) 454

The agnostic answer is more correct, while the atheist answer is more useful. If this was a question you were faced with to save your life what would you choose?

I'm terrible at math...but I suspect if I were posed your question, I would point out that different values of "x" will produce different answers. The lowest possible answer (assuming "x" to be 1) would be 45.

I would also point out that as presented....there is no solution.

I have absolutely no idea of why any atheist would choose 454..and then insist that answer is correct...especially since I can find no value for "x" that would make 454 be correct.

I also have absolutely no idea of why any atheist would consider a wrong answer to be "more useful" than an acknowledgement that one does not know the answer.

Your reasoning...and your question....make no sense.

Wanna give it another try?

Quote:
Are all answers equally likely just because you cannot be certain?

Absolutely not. Are you of the mistaken impression that agnostics consider all answers to all questions to be equally likely?

If "yes"...why are you of that mistaken impression?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 03:25 am
Re: Frank
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Frank wrote: "Why did you decide that agnosticism is a cop-out????

Why would you possibly consider guessing to be an improvement on that?"

Frank, I recall my agnostic reasoning as a teenager was to protect myself from the abuse of atheists by the public. I was adopted and raised in a religious, but hypocritic family. If you think atheist have a tough time today, you have to realize how difficult it was in my youth. It took me about ten years to have the courage to acknowledge that I really was an atheist.

I spent years reading, discussing in a rational manner to reach my conclusion and I continue to explore this topic today.

BBB

BBB

I am not asking you to "defend" your reasons...but since you brought the issue to this thread, I simply asked for a clarification...and I hoped to initiate a bit of discussion.

Sorry if you got the wrong idea.

I honestly do not see the agnostic position as a cop-out in any way!

But if you prefer not to discuss it....no problem.

I want to stay on your good side, BBB. You offer this forum more useful information than anyone else with your many informative posts.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 03:26 am
Once again...a big "HELLO" to everyone welcoming me back.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 04:04 am
If x=2 Then the answer would be 454.

Maybe I should have written it 34_ + 11_

but I know you understood my point even if my example looked dodgy. It simply represents a situation that seems obvious but not definite due to the lack of complete data.

I guess my point is that even though you cannot have an answer you can be certain of, you can make a reasonable estimate based on the data you do have. Agnosticism seems to be principled refusal to make a guess no matter how educated that guess may be, (perhaps due to the fear that it may validate all other guesses as equally valid)...is that a fair comment?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 04:13 am
Anyone hear the recent broadcast of This American Life on NPR? The topic was Godless America: Defending the Faithless. The Julia Sweeney essay is brilliant - warning - it could create a crisis of faith.

Here is the audio link: http://www.thislife.org/
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 04:28 am
Thanks GW

Wish I could access RealAudio.

I'll look up Sweeney instead and see what I can find.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 04:44 am
Eorl, if x=2 the answer is 90, not 454. If x=1266667, the answer is very close to 57 million.

Guessing wrong by that many orders of magnitude could be worse than not guessing at all.

When it comes to gods, choosing the wrong one or worshiping improperly may target us for divine wrath. We have no way of knowing what the gods (if they exist) really want from us, if anything. For all we know, incessant praying may annoy them more than respectful silence.

-----

Hi, Frank.
0 Replies