Okay...let's see...where was I...

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 06:01 pm
RexRed wrote:
Frank wrote:
Perceptions of gods are at the crux of most of the hatred on this planet.

Comment:
I will argue ignorance of God is the reason for most hatred not God...

My comment was that "perceptions of gods"...not gods. There may be no gods...remember?

Quote:
When you attribute God to horrors you commit horrors without conscience when you attribute God to life then you have life to offer...

C'mon, Rex....either learn to read or get someone to help you.

You are making stuff up.

Quote:
Pr 14:12
There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

Comment:
Does your way seem right Frank?

My ways seem right to me, Rex.

Stop being so afraid of death and the unknown. Maybe you'd be able to drop this god of yours.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 06:13 pm
I know (have a perception of) who Leona Helmsley is.

I pay scant attention to these arguments now, but am here for the architecture... the quote buildings are so, so, so....
art deco..
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 06:36 pm
Hey Osso! (Better?)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 07:23 pm
'Tis fine..
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 11:53 pm
Yata yata yata Smile

Better to try to understand than build a wall..

You are imposing a wall on God Frank...
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 11:59 pm
Wow, walls can be imposed on god?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 12:02 am
InfraBlue wrote:
Wow, walls can be imposed on god?

Hey Smile

Yea, free will.

So, dream a little dream... Smile
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 05:31 am
RexRed wrote:
Yata yata yata Smile

Better to try to understand than build a wall..

You are imposing a wall on God Frank...

Your bromides are really trite, Rex.

You delude yourself into thinking that this "blind guessing and insisting that your guesses are correct"....is "trying to understand."

Fact is, Rex....you are not trying to understand. You are doing everything in your power to avoid dealing with understanding....mostly because it is obvious that you are terrified of the unknown....and this barbaric god of yours.

Hope today is a little cooler in your part of the world. It has started out especially nice here.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 09:09 am
Getting back to the initial post in this thread, I would agree with Frank that agnosticism is a more logical position. And, sadly, 'theists' have generally not presented reasonable arguments for belief.

Were God to grab an agnostic or an atheist by the throat and slap him around a bit, no doubt both of them would be forced to admit His existence.

That would make all of us believers but it would not make the world a better place. Nor would it help if all of us became unbelievers and subscribed to a rigid social contract. Human imperfection would still stand in the way.

Intellectuals would appoint themselves leaders and prescribe for the masses a code of conduct which, first and foremost, would ensure the power of the leaders. And, as priests of god or no god they would continue to dominate man to his injury.

What we might need as a remedy would be for humans to evolve to a point where each had an internal governor, a sort of humanistic superego preventing conduct that infringes on the rights of others. I hate to use the word 'conscience'.

Well, alright, I will call it conscience. But isn't that what humans had in that fairy tale time, in the so-called Garden of Eden? I hesitate to infer that Moses may have been correct when he wrote that we gave away that perfect conscience in the Edenic rebellion.

Well, alright, I will say that Moses was correct. But I won't tell you to believe it. You will have to do that on your own.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 10:19 am
neologist wrote:
Getting back to the initial post in this thread, I would agree with Frank that agnosticism is a more logical position. And, sadly, 'theists' have generally not presented reasonable arguments for belief.

Were God to grab an agnostic or an atheist by the throat and slap him around a bit, no doubt both of them would be forced to admit His existence.

That would make all of us believers...

No it wouldn't. We would all know.

This believing crap (guessing but not acknowledging it as a guess) is way, way over-done by you theists.

Quote:
...but it would not make the world a better place.

Correct!

Even if we KNEW there were gods....the world would not necessarily be a better place. Conversely....even if we were to be rid of all this superstition that passes for religion and belief in the world....it would not necessarily be a better place.

Quote:
Nor would it help if all of us became unbelievers and subscribed to a rigid social contract. Human imperfection would still stand in the way.

You would start to see what I am trying to impart, Neo...if you would just never again use the word "belief" or any of its derivatives.

"Unbeliever" is an absurd word.

Quote:
Intellectuals would appoint themselves leaders and prescribe for the masses a code of conduct which, first and foremost, would ensure the power of the leaders. And, as priests of god or no god they would continue to dominate man to his injury.

Oh, bullshyt. The world would go on just like it is going right now. The superstition of theists does nothing to hold "intellectuals" in check...and probably does more to subjugate the masses than anything else.

Quote:
What we might need as a remedy would be for humans to evolve to a point where each had an internal governor, a sort of humanistic superego preventing conduct that infringes on the rights of others. I hate to use the word 'conscience'.
[

Well...I think we have a better chance of making that evolutionary move if we could just get rid of all this goddam religion nonsense.

But it would be a good thing to have happen.

Quote:
Well, alright, I will call it conscience. But isn't that what humans had in that fairy tale time, in the so-called Garden of Eden?

NO, NO, NO!!!! A thousand times NO.

The idiotic myth of the Garden of Eden is a story about people deprived of the ability to recognize right from wrong or evil from good (by the god of the Bible)...and then punished for screwing up.

And to make matters worse...the silly fable has this idiotic god setting them up for failure...not only by putting them in an unconscionable situtation...but also by including in their midst the arch-tempter of the universe.

Quote:

I hesitate to infer that Moses may have been correct when he wrote that we gave away that perfect conscience in the Edenic rebellion.

Not sure what Moses had to say about the "Edenic rebellion"....but the "Edenic rebellion" is preposterous.

Quote:
Well, alright, I will say that Moses was correct. But I won't tell you to believe it. You will have to do that on your own.

Cute...but no sale. Anyone treating the story of Eden with anything but contempt simply doesn't know how to read.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 10:21 am
There ya go again.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 10:22 am
neologist wrote:

That would make all of us believers but it would not make the world a better place. Nor would it help if all of us became unbelievers and subscribed to a rigid social contract. Human imperfection would still stand in the way.

Well, alright, I will call it conscience. But isn't that what humans had in that fairy tale time, in the so-called Garden of Eden? I hesitate to infer that Moses may have been correct when he wrote that we gave away that perfect conscience in the Edenic rebellion.

1Co 13:12
For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 10:25 am
neologist wrote:
There ya go again.

Ah...I guess saying something like that is better than trying to actually respond to my post...particularly considering the ammunition you are working with.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 10:25 am
RexRed wrote:
For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

Do you never get tired of quoting that trite, silly nonsense?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 10:56 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
RexRed wrote:

Can you even respond in regard to what the scripture says and not what your agenda imposes?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 10:59 am
I'm sorry to have taken so long with this. But you know me, just an ignorant fugitive from the meadowlands.
Frank Apisa wrote:
neologist wrote:

This believing crap (guessing but not acknowledging it as a guess) is way, way over-done by you theists.
Sorry Frank. I guess I just know what I believe. :wink:
Frank Apisa quoting neologist wrote:
...but it would not make the world a better place.
Frank Apisa wrote:
Correct!

Even if we KNEW there were gods....the world would not necessarily be a better place. Conversely....even if we were to be rid of all this superstition that passes for religion and belief in the world....it would not necessarily be a better place.
So, we agree on something.
Nor would it help if all of us became unbelievers and subscribed to a rigid social contract. Human imperfection would still stand in the way.
Frank Apisa wrote:
You would start to see what I am trying to impart, Neo...if you would just never again use the word "belief" or any of its derivatives.

I believe you, Frank. I truly do.
Frank Apisa wrote:
Oh, bullshyt. The world would go on just like it is going right now. The superstition of theists does nothing to hold "intellectuals" in check...and probably does more to subjugate the masses than anything else.
Right on, Frank. But that's not what I was saying. Theist intellectuals or non-theist intellectuals: same thing.
Frank Apisa wrote:
Well...I think we have a better chance of making that evolutionary move if we could just get rid of all this goddam religion nonsense.

Just as an aside, the end of religion is foretold in that fairy tale bible at Revelation chapters 17 and 18.
Well, alright, I will call it conscience. But isn't that what humans had in that fairy tale time, in the so-called Garden of Eden?
Frank Apisa wrote:

The idiotic myth of the Garden of Eden is a story about people deprived of the ability to recognize right from wrong or evil from good (by the god of the Bible)...and then punished for screwing up.

And to make matters worse...the silly fable has this idiotic god setting them up for failure...not only by putting them in an unconscionable situtation...but also by including in their midst the arch-tempter of the universe.
I admire your sound reasoning and ability to ignore free will.
I hesitate to infer that Moses may have been correct when he wrote that we gave away that perfect conscience in the Edenic rebellion.
Frank Apisa wrote:
Not sure what Moses had to say about the "Edenic rebellion"....but the "Edenic rebellion" is preposterous.
Stunning logical exposition, Frank.
Frank Apisa wrote:
Cute...but no sale. Anyone treating the story of Eden with anything but contempt simply doesn't know how to read.
Thank you again, Frank, for condescending to speak to me, a simple moron.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 11:09 am
Frank, everything you do is based on believing...

Unbelief is still believing...

I guess you do not even know the most rudimentary mechanisms of thought.

All organisms that can think can believe...

If you did not believe you could never exhibit confidence, trust, and faith.

Negative believing is fear doubt and worries?

Are you saying you have never doubted anything?

Frank Wrote:

Comment:
Frank, you are making stuff up...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 11:15 am
RexRed wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
RexRed wrote:

Can you even respond in regard to what the scripture says and not what your agenda imposes?

Rex....scripture is a joke.

I ask again: Do you never get tired of quoting that trite, silly nonsense?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 11:22 am
neologist wrote:
I'm sorry to have taken so long with this. But you know me, just an ignorant fugitive from the meadowlands.
Frank Apisa wrote:
neologist wrote:

Sorry Frank. I guess I just know what I believe.

If you could get away from that word "believe"...you could start making some sense.

Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

I believe you, Frank. I truly do.

Keep on playing. The only thing you have to lose is the truth.

Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
Right on, Frank. But that's not what I was saying. Theist intellectuals or non-theist intellectuals: same thing.

Same comment either way.

Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Just as an aside, the end of religion is foretold in that fairy tale bible at Revelation chapters 17 and 18.

Tell that to someone who cares how the fairytales end.

Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

I admire your sound reasoning and ability to ignore free will.

What the hell is the value of "free will" if you are deprived of the knowledge of good and evil...of right and wrong?

Wake the hell up.

Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
Stunning logical exposition, Frank.

Thank you. One more thing we agree on.

Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
Thank you again, Frank, for condescending to speak to me, a simple moron.

You are the one who keeps calling yourself a moron, Neo. And since you are doing your best to act like one....I'll take your word for it.

You are welcome.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 11:32 am
You are the one who saw fit to call me a moron, Frank. It's one of the reasons I enjoy dancing around your recondite rhetoric with my simplicity.

I am constantly amazed at your inability to see the advantage of free will and subsequent failure to connect it, if even allegorically, to the Edenic story.
0 Replies