Okay...let's see...where was I...

neologist

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 01:11 am
Oh, you make me so (fill in the blank).
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 01:17 am
We're merely going to go round and round this one, real life.

Again, you can't read those passages as if it were figurative speech. You are rationalizing your reading to fit your preconceptions.

Saying "he makes me sick" is different from saying "I will make him sick."

The statement "George Bush gives liberals fits" can be taken to mean a cause and effect relationship. It is not figurative. Liberals as well as Conservatives do not choose their emotional reactions.

Saying "he give them fits" is different from saying "I will give them fits."
Although, I'm sure GW is aware of this power he has over liberals, and probably acts upon it.

GW isn't omnipotent. The god of the bible is assumed to be.

Should I take your silence about my request to point out more contradictions, seeming or otherwise, in the bible as a refusal?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 03:35 am
The Bible plainly tells us that the god of the Bible was going to make Pharaoh obdurate. The Bible shows the god bragging about it....and telling Moses that he is doing it so that he can show Pharaoh what a great god he (the god of the Bible) is.

But when folks like Life...who fear this god's considerable wrath to the point of terror....come across passages like this...they start this nonsense about how it can be read differently.

The sensible, logical thing to do would be for them to say: "I am guessing that a God exists....a loving, kind, just, reasonable God...and it is obvious to me that this book does not describe this God....therefore, I reject this phony god for the cartoon character it is out of deference and respect for the true God that I suppose exists."

But they are not likely to do that.

They would rather torture logic and rationalize to the point of absurdity...because they are terrified of this burlesque.

Oh, well. That is the way life goes at times.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 08:30 am
InfraBlue wrote:
We're merely going to go round and round this one, real life.

Again, you can't read those passages as if it were figurative speech. You are rationalizing your reading to fit your preconceptions.

Saying "he makes me sick" is different from saying "I will make him sick."

The statement "George Bush gives liberals fits" can be taken to mean a cause and effect relationship. It is not figurative. Liberals as well as Conservatives do not choose their emotional reactions.

Saying "he give them fits" is different from saying "I will give them fits."
Although, I'm sure GW is aware of this power he has over liberals, and probably acts upon it.

GW isn't omnipotent. The god of the bible is assumed to be.

Should I take your silence about my request to point out more contradictions, seeming or otherwise, in the bible as a refusal?

If you don't think that some passages in the Bible (or spoken by individuals apart from the Bible) can be used in a less than literal sense, what do you do with statements like "The sun rose over the horizon" since you know that it was the earth's movement, not the sun's that allowed you to observe this phenomenon?

I could say "I'm gonna make you sick by telling you this....." but again, it is you that controls your reaction. What I tell you may make you laugh instead of retch, due to your sense of humor. It was you who determined the result.

------------------------------------------

If you don't think that Liberals and Conservatives can choose their emotional reactions, I don't know what I could say to convince you that human beings DO have control over themselves. You're on your own on that one. (I believe in freewill, remember? I guess maybe you might not? )

------------------------------

As for other passages that would seem to contradict freewill, I think I DID answer you that the Exodus passages are the major ones that I am aware of that are used to support this idea by those who deny freewill.

You indicated in your first post that you wanted me to give you references so that you don't have to read it for yourself. But maybe that is what you should do, instead of trying to pummel others who don't do your research to your satisfaction.
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 11:45 am
Frank Apisi, you certainly have fought the fight and you deserve praise for that.

All I can say on these subjects is it took almost four centuries for The Catholic Church to cement its authority as leader and expert on man's spirituality. Millions of people died and everything and anything describing "Immanance," the concept of the indwelling God, was destroyed (or so was thought). Immanance is a part of the secret teachings that Jesus taught his disciples and was "secretly" taught because these people were "ready" to hear it. Now, maybe some of us are, too, ready.

There's tons of material written by biblical scholars, most of whom have degrees in archeology and linguistics also, that point out changes, fabrications and additions by early church authorities to fit their own political agenda.

Most intriguing would be why "God" seemed vicious in the O.T. and also what parts of those books were mythological. As for the New Testament, so much was not included that the teachings of Jesus make little sense.

The book I am currently completing is Gnostic Secrets of the Naassenes (The Initiatory Teachings of the Last Supper), by Mark H. Gaffney, published in 2004.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 12:39 pm
Sunlover

Any reasonable guess about the Bible would be that it...both the Old and New Testaments...are, when dealing with gods and what gods have to say...ARE FICTION.

Both!

You ought really to read up on the Jesus Seminars. A group of religious scholars...primarily made up of clergy, by the way....have gone over the words supposedly uttered by Jesus and they rate them "probably spoken by Jesus" "probably not spoken by Jesus" and "almost certainly not spoken by Jesus." (Not their terms, but my characterization of them.)

Only a minority of the words (those often in red in Bibles)...are rated as "probably spoken by Jesus." Most fall into the other category. Damn near every syllable in the gospel of John, for instance, is in the last category.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 04:09 pm
sunlover wrote:
Frank Apisi, you certainly have fought the fight and you deserve praise for that.

All I can say on these subjects is it took almost four centuries for The Catholic Church to cement its authority as leader and expert on man's spirituality. Millions of people died and everything and anything describing "Immanance," the concept of the indwelling God, was destroyed (or so was thought). Immanance is a part of the secret teachings that Jesus taught his disciples and was "secretly" taught because these people were "ready" to hear it. Now, maybe some of us are, too, ready.

There's tons of material written by biblical scholars, most of whom have degrees in archeology and linguistics also, that point out changes, fabrications and additions by early church authorities to fit their own political agenda.

Most intriguing would be why "God" seemed vicious in the O.T. and also what parts of those books were mythological. As for the New Testament, so much was not included that the teachings of Jesus make little sense.

The book I am currently completing is Gnostic Secrets of the Naassenes (The Initiatory Teachings of the Last Supper), by Mark H. Gaffney, published in 2004.

Why should I say it when Robinson Crusoe said it so much better:
Daniel Defoe wrote:
By this I observed that there is a priestcraft even amongst the most blinded, ignorant pagans of the world, and the policy of making a secret religion, in order to preserve the veneration of the people in the clergy, is not only to be found in the Roman, but perhaps among all religions in the world, even among the most brutish and barbarous savages.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 04:52 pm
Neologhouse wrote:

By which you meant, of course . . .when Daniel Defoe wrote it so much better . . .
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 05:01 pm
http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/santa.gif
Santa wrote:
Neologhouse wrote:

By which you meant, of course . . .when Daniel Defoe wrote it so much better . . .
No, I actually heard him say it! Laughing
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 08:51 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Sunlover

Any reasonable guess about the Bible would be that it...both the Old and New Testaments...are, when dealing with gods and what gods have to say...ARE FICTION.

Both!

You ought really to read up on the Jesus Seminars. A group of religious scholars...primarily made up of clergy, by the way....have gone over the words supposedly uttered by Jesus and they rate them "probably spoken by Jesus" "probably not spoken by Jesus" and "almost certainly not spoken by Jesus." (Not their terms, but my characterization of them.)

Only a minority of the words (those often in red in Bibles)...are rated as "probably spoken by Jesus." Most fall into the other category. Damn near every syllable in the gospel of John, for instance, is in the last category.

Yes Frank. We know all about the Jesus Seminar.

They, in their incalculable Wisdom , have determined that the only part of the Lord's Prayer that Christ likely said was "Our Father" . The rest they summarily dismissed.

What a joke.

However, your suggestion that Sunlover read up on the Seminar is probably a very good one.

I think that the Jesus Seminar folks and Sunlover actually would get along quite nicely since Sunlover and they all obviously were there and know what was and wasn't said.

Perhaps the Seminar should form a political wing to study the Constitution and Bill of Rights so that they can tell us the only words the Framers actually wrote were "Congress shall" .
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 10:09 pm
Real life, it's just that the Bible has to make sense. "Original sin" doesn't make sense and is unsupported in scripture. The same for Holy Trinity.
And, throughout the bible up to the N.T. Jesus is the "rock" not Peter.

Nobody owns the Roman Catholic Church, it is history for us all, and nobody blames today's church for what was done centuries ago. Somebody has to right the wrong, though.
There are people who would like to sue their parents for the brainwashing done to them as children. Brainwashing should be labeled child abuse as it can be permanent, or seem so to the person as an adult.

Who will right the wrongs? I think that should be The Church itself.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 10:30 pm
sunlover wrote:
Real life, it's just that the Bible has to make sense.

So if you don't understand something, then it cannot be true?

sunlover wrote:
"Original sin" doesn't make sense and is unsupported in scripture.

How so? Can you show by scripture that all persons are NOT sinners?

sunlover wrote:
The same for Holy Trinity.

Same question as before, how so? Can you show by scripture that Jesus Christ is NOT God?

sunlover wrote:
There are people who would like to sue their parents for the brainwashing done to them as children. Brainwashing should be labeled child abuse as it can be permanent, or seem so to the person as an adult.

So that is what this is about? Teen rebellion carried into the adult years? "My parents made me go to church. I am handicapped."

So if parents are not to have the prerogative to teach their children right from wrong, who will? The state? Hello comrade.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 10:33 pm
Ooooo . . . a bitch fight over scripture . . . i love it . . .
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 10:37 pm
Setanta wrote:
Ooooo . . . a bitch fight over scripture . . . i love it . . .
Just like in the coliseum - spectators eager for blood.

Will Frank step in to bring his thread back on topic Question
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 10:39 pm
neologist wrote:

Morituri te salutamus
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 10:43 pm
Setanta wrote:
neologist wrote:

Morituri te salutamus
Don't know much Latin, but this sounds like it could be fatal.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 10:45 pm
"We who are about to die salute you."

-- spoken by the gladiators before each "performance"
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 10:47 pm
Yup, fatal!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 10:52 pm
real life wrote:
You indicated in your first post that you wanted me to give you references so that you don't have to read it for yourself. But maybe that is what you should do, instead of trying to pummel others who don't do your research to your satisfaction.

I asked you because I thought you were an expert on contradictions in the Bible.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 10:57 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
real life wrote:

I asked you because I thought you were an expert on contradictions in the Bible.

Whatever gave you that idea?

My press agent must have been working overtime. I'll have to give him a raise.... or fire him.

What I know of the Bible, I got by doing what you said you did not want to do. I read it.
0 Replies