Okay...let's see...where was I...

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 02:52 am
If I occasionally mistake one of you for the other...I ask you to forgive me.

You both tend to use lots of words to say damn near nothing of value...and you both tend to rationalize items shown to be wrong.

You are different...but so very much alike. It is an easy mistake to make.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 02:54 am
No matter who said it, however, the Bible specifically tells us that its god hardened the heart of Pharaoh....that the god made him obdurate....that the god made him refuse to comply.

But I know....

...you folks really don't care what it says. You care about how you can rationalize it.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 10:18 pm
neologist wrote:
Yeah, Frank. There's a big difference between me and real life. BIG.

I don't have cool avatars, for one thing.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 10:38 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
No matter who said it, however, the Bible specifically tells us that its god hardened the heart of Pharaoh....that the god made him obdurate....that the god made him refuse to comply.

But I know....

...you folks really don't care what it says. You care about how you can rationalize it.
Wah, why did that mean old Jehovah have to pick on such a loveable and gentle soul as Pharaoh? http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/crybaby.gif

Sniff!

http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/puke1.gif

Excuuuuse me!
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 11:02 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:

But I know....

I have addressed the passages in question and given a reasonable explanation of them based on language, the way it was used then...... and even now.

But I know....

..... you ignored it because .........well, why did you?

Should I throw out a slam at you? No. I'll let your actions speak for you.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 01:31 am
Would you provide the passages in Exodus where it repeatedly says that Pharaoh "refused" and his "heart was unyielding, real life. Not that I don't believe you, just that I don't want to take the time to read the whole damn book. Thanks
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 02:59 am
neologist wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

But I know....

Wah, why did that mean old Jehovah have to pick on such a loveable and gentle soul as Pharaoh? http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/crybaby.gif

Sniff!

Yep!

Excuuuuse me!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 03:06 am
real life wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

But I know....

I have addressed the passages in question and given a reasonable explanation of them based on language, the way it was used then...... and even now.

No you haven't. You have attempted to pretend that the words are not saying what they say.

The words are very, very specific. They tell us that your god made Pharaoh obstinate and obdurate. Your god BRAGS about it. You can almost hear the glee in his voice as he brags to Moses about his plan.

But....when push comes to shove...you fearful people would rather bury your heads in the sand than face the truth....because you think this cartoon god of yours is listening and will punish you if you are naughty, not nice.

Quote:
But I know....

..... you ignored it because .........well, why did you?

I didn't really ignore it....because it was never there. You have given no "explanation" that changes what the passages plainly say.

In any case, I do not intend to "ignore" anything you say. I promise I will respond to everything you write.

Quote:
Should I throw out a slam at you?

I don't know what that means??????

Quote:

No. I'll let your actions speak for you.

I much prefer that I speak for myself.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 03:07 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
neologist wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

But I know....

Sniff!

Yep!

Excuuuuse me!

Don't cry. It is all a joke.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:04 am
Frank; It's not nice to alter quotes without making some notation to that effect. And why did you yep right beneath the barf? Laughing
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 10:17 am
neologist wrote:
Frank; It's not nice to alter quotes without making some notation to that effect. And why did you yep right beneath the barf? Laughing

I suppose this makes sense to you....but it doesn't to me.

C'mon sniper...do a better job so that people can understand you.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 10:39 am
I am misunderstood because of simplicity.
You are misunderstood because your brain has been overtaken by the miasma of the meadowlands. Take a vacation to Seattle, Frank. The weather is nice here this time of the year. I'll treat you at Starbucks.

No foolin'
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 11:09 am
neologist wrote:
I am misunderstood because of simplicity.
You are misunderstood because your brain has been overtaken by the miasma of the meadowlands. Take a vacation to Seattle, Frank. The weather is nice here this time of the year. I'll treat you at Starbucks.

No foolin'

It didn't make sense....and the fact that you are simple is only a tangental factor.

If you want to reword the statement so that a normal person can understand it....get some help doing so....and I will respond.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 11:24 am
You haven't specified which statement ; so I'll go back to my sarcastic remark about Pharaoh:

Pharaoh, according to Moses, was a cruel slave driver who continually piled burdens on the Hebrews. He certainly could not be used as the poster boy for the benevolent protective order of emirs.

You did, in fact, alter my post by inserting the word 'yep'. I was merely commenting on the appropriateness of your chosen location.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 11:27 am
Starbucks offer still on the table
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 12:10 pm
Now I understand the quote I said didn't make sense.

All you had to do was to let me know...rather than getting cute with your wording.

Here is what happened.

I quoted your post....and then answered what I thought you were saying with a "Yep."

Somehow...the "Yep" got into the text of what you wrote...under one of your silly icons.

In any case, I was mistaken on what I thought you were saying. I thought you had written "That mean ole Jehovah picked on such a loveable and gentle soul as Pharaoh? "

The "yep" was to denote that, indeed, the god of the Bible did pick on Pharaoh.

It was a f**k up on my part from beginning to end. If you had called the error to my attention, though, I could have explained without all the other bullshyt.

As for your comment:

Quote:
Pharaoh, according to Moses, was a cruel slave driver who continually piled burdens on the Hebrews. He certainly could not be used as the poster boy for the benevolent protective order of emirs.

Any reasonable reading of the Bible would elicit a guess that Moses was not only delusional....he was also a liar.

Whatever he had to say about Pharaoh should be taken with a grain of salt.

And for the record....the cruelest being described in Exodus is without any doubt....the god of the Bible.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 12:27 pm
OH
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 10:26 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
Would you provide the passages in Exodus where it repeatedly says that Pharaoh "refused" and his "heart was unyielding, real life. Not that I don't believe you, just that I don't want to take the time to read the whole damn book. Thanks
http://www.biblegateway.com/keyword/ You can search in a dozen or so versions also. The ones I used here were from NIV.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 12:00 am
But read in context, Exodus 7:3-5 doesn't imply, like the example you are drawing with Frank, that the idea of god, or the thought of god made Pharaoh's heart hard. It specifically states a cause and effect relationship to achieve an end. 7:3"But I will (cause) harden Pharaoh's heart (effect), that I may multiply My signs and marvels in the land of Egypt (end). 4When Pharaoh does not heed you (effect), I will lay my hand upon Egypt and deliver My ranks, My people the Israelites, from the land of Egypt with extraordinary chastisements (end). 5And the Egyptians shall know that I am the LORD, when I stretch out My hand over Egypt and bring out the Israelites from their midst. (end)"

The god is the cause of Pharaoh's hardened heart, the effect through which the god will demonstrate his hand to the Egyptians through extraordinary chastisements, and also through his hand that the Egyptians shall know that he is the LORD.

This demonstrates a cause and effect relationship to achieve an end, rather than mere figurative speech.

Tell me, you say that the entire context of the Bible shows that God has given man a free will, but are there other passages that contradict this, or if you prefer, seemingly contradict this, like in the example from Exodus?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 12:37 am
InfraBlue wrote:
But read in context, Exodus 7:3-5 doesn't imply, like the example you are drawing with Frank, that the idea of god, or the thought of god made Pharaoh's heart hard. It specifically states a cause and effect relationship to achieve an end. 7:3"But I will (cause) harden Pharaoh's heart (effect), that I may multiply My signs and marvels in the land of Egypt (end). 4When Pharaoh does not heed you (effect), I will lay my hand upon Egypt and deliver My ranks, My people the Israelites, from the land of Egypt with extraordinary chastisements (end). 5And the Egyptians shall know that I am the LORD, when I stretch out My hand over Egypt and bring out the Israelites from their midst. (end)"

The god is the cause of Pharaoh's hardened heart, the effect through which the god will demonstrate his hand to the Egyptians through extraordinary chastisements, and also through his hand that the Egyptians shall know that he is the LORD.

This demonstrates a cause and effect relationship to achieve an end, rather than mere figurative speech.

Tell me, you say that the entire context of the Bible shows that God has given man a free will, but are there other passages that contradict this, or if you prefer, seemingly contradict this, like in the example from Exodus?

C'mon Infra,

Does saying , "He makes me sick." demonstrate cause and effect?

No . It describes a reaction I had to something he said or did or......

How about " I will break down their resistance with my proposal" Cause and effect? Only if "they" have no choice in the matter.

It is describing a reaction, chosen by "them" (I hope) to what I will say.

The only difference is God KNEW what Pharaohs reaction would be. He didn't have to guess , or say I hope, or I hope not. He KNEW. So He predicted the outcome.

Again one more time, "George Bush gives liberals fits" . Did GWB omnipotently force his hearers to rage over what he said? No they chose to react in anger because of their choice to disagree with him strongly.

We use language like this ALL THE TIME.

---------------------

BTW different versions punctuate this passage differently. Since there is no punctuation in the original Hebrew, it is a subjective call where to place the commas and periods. It can subtly , and sometimes not so subtly, alter the emphasis intended or seen in the text.

3 But I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and though I multiply my miraculous signs and wonders in Egypt, 4 he will not listen to you. Then I will lay my hand on Egypt and with mighty acts of judgment I will bring out my divisions, my people the Israelites.

-----------------------------------------

There are some Christian groups that do not believe man has a free will at all. The passages we are looking at are generally used as their strongest evidence to make their case. As you can see, it is pretty weak.
0 Replies