Okay...let's see...where was I...

neologist

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 12:00 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
neologist wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Do I think the Egyptians would dare to record the defeat of their god, the Pharaoh?

Yeah.

Are you suggesting they never did?
If they had, that would be corroboration, right?

Just asking.

Obviously.

But you should also be thinking!

1) It may never have happened....so there may be nothing to record.

2) I was asking if they ever recorded any defeats by their god, the Pharaoh.

Try to keep up.

I know it is hard for you.
1. True, with huge emphasis on the word 'may'. But, I don't think so; and that wasn't my point.

2. I could have sworn you asked if they ever recorded defeats of their god, the pharaoh, not by their god. Why yes, your quote does say that.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 12:38 pm
neologist wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
neologist wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Do I think the Egyptians would dare to record the defeat of their god, the Pharaoh?

Yeah.

Are you suggesting they never did?
If they had, that would be corroboration, right?

Just asking.

Obviously.

But you should also be thinking!

1) It may never have happened....so there may be nothing to record.

2) I was asking if they ever recorded any defeats by their god, the Pharaoh.

Try to keep up.

I know it is hard for you.
1. True, with huge emphasis on the word 'may'. But, I don't think so; and that wasn't my point.

Huh?????

Are you working with a hidden double negative here?

Quote:
2. I could have sworn you asked if they ever recorded defeats of their god, the pharaoh, not by their god. Why yes, your quote does say that.

However worded...my comment stands.

You asked me if they would dare to record a defeat....an event where their god, Pharaoh, was defeated.

I answered "yes."

Are you maintaining that they would never have recorded a defeat suffered at the hands of their god, Pharaoh?

(Does that wording meet your approval!)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 01:19 pm
The supposed defeat of Pharaoh at the Red Sea was not recorded by any Egyptian historians, obviously. If it had been, it would corroborate the record in Exodus, right?

That was all I was trying to claim.

It doesn't prove or disprove anything other than clarify a point.

I think
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 01:24 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:

This is among the most illogical posts I've ever read on the Internet..................I have suggested some possible alterntives to that shyt you are buying.

Hi Frank,

Your possible alternatives amount to postulating that the Hebrew history and laws contained in the Old Testament were fabricated by a number of oral traditionists over a span from 1500BC (the time of Moses) to the New Testament era.

To take this seriously, you would have to think that the Hebrews who first heard this were gullible enough to accept a bogus history that their parents, grandparents , etc had never known AND also a bogus set of very unusual laws that no previous generation had ever known would have to be accepted as already having historical precedent and binding , in some cases under penalty of death.

Succeeding generations would have had to been similarly gullible to accept the new concoctions of the unfolding Hebrew "history".

To perpetrate this fraud you also need to postulate a succession of writers over the same period of time who each write the Hebrew history so as to paint themselves and their countrymen in a very bad light as we discussed previously. And each generation would have to buy into the new lies about recent events as actual "history".

This is what your possible alternatives amount to, Frank.

You must come up with a better explanation of how the Jews came to accept the Old Testament as both history and Law, than to suppose that someone just made it up and passed it down.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 02:43 pm
neologist wrote:
The supposed defeat of Pharaoh at the Red Sea was not recorded by any Egyptian historians, obviously. If it had been, it would corroborate the record in Exodus, right?

That was all I was trying to claim.

It doesn't prove or disprove anything other than clarify a point.

I think

I'm not sure I understand you at all here, Neo.

OBVIOUSLY the supposed defeat of Pharaoh at the Red Sea was not recorded.

We all knew that.

But you were suggesting that it was not recorded because the Egyptians would not dare to do so...what with the Pharaoh being their god.

I give up on this one.

Either you are being obtuse or you are just playing a little game here.\

In any case...this was all brought about because I noted that there is no independent corroboration of the story in Exodus.

It certainly has all the earmarks of a myth....and unless there is something other than the self-serving story in the Bible....we should treat it with a grain or so of salt.

One would think, though, that the death of every firstborn child and animal in the entire of Egypt would have gotten some mention somewhere.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 02:44 pm
All at one time....all on one day.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 02:48 pm
real life wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

This is among the most illogical posts I've ever read on the Internet..................I have suggested some possible alterntives to that shyt you are buying.

Hi Frank,

Your possible alternatives amount to postulating that the Hebrew history and laws contained in the Old Testament were fabricated by a number of oral traditionists over a span from 1500BC (the time of Moses) to the New Testament era.

To take this seriously, you would have to think that the Hebrews who first heard this were gullible enough to accept a bogus history that their parents, grandparents , etc had never known AND also a bogus set of very unusual laws that no previous generation had ever known would have to be accepted as already having historical precedent and binding , in some cases under penalty of death.

Succeeding generations would have had to been similarly gullible to accept the new concoctions of the unfolding Hebrew "history".

To perpetrate this fraud you also need to postulate a succession of writers over the same period of time who each write the Hebrew history so as to paint themselves and their countrymen in a very bad light as we discussed previously. And each generation would have to buy into the new lies about recent events as actual "history".

This is what your possible alternatives amount to, Frank.

You must come up with a better explanation of how the Jews came to accept the Old Testament as both history and Law, than to suppose that someone just made it up and passed it down.

No, Life....and it is possible that the oral tradition goes back way longer than you are supposing.

In any case....to suppose that the mythology that inhabits the Bible could not have been created by humans and has to be the real word of a GOD...is so goddam far-fetched....it boggles the mind to suppose humans still accept such a thing.

EVERY HISTORY is, in effect, self-serving.

The winners write the history.

I don't have to come up with a better explanation for anything...because I haven't given an "explanation." I've merely shared a few thoughts about alternative possible explanations.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 05:54 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:

But you were suggesting that it was not recorded because the Egyptians would not dare to do so...what with the Pharaoh being their god.
No. Much less profound than that. I was saying that if it had been recorded by Egyptian historians, that would have been corroboration. (A point so minor, I am sorry now to have proffered it, though it seemed to make sense at the time.)
Frank Apisa wrote:

One would think, though, that the death of every firstborn child and animal in the entire of Egypt would have gotten some mention somewhere.
This would fit into the same category as the other nine plagues and the Red Sea Debacle. If we can't come to terms on Pharaoh's defeat, it wouldn't make sense to argue these, would it?

It is of some noteworthiness that the Israelites were so impressed with their deliverance from Egypt, they celebrated the Passover on the same day every year and Jesus was executed on the Passover, a coincidence not fully appreciated at the time.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 06:29 pm
neologist wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

No. Much less profound than that. I was saying that if it had been recorded by Egyptian historians, that would have been corroboration. (A point so minor, I am sorry now to have proffered it, though it seemed to make sense at the time.)
Frank Apisa wrote:

This would fit into the same category as the other nine plagues and the Red Sea Debacle. If we can't come to terms on Pharaoh's defeat, it wouldn't make sense to argue these, would it?

It is of some noteworthiness that the Israelites were so impressed with their deliverance from Egypt, they celebrated the Passover on the same day every year and Jesus was executed on the Passover, a coincidence not fully appreciated at the time.

Just another thought in passing:

Jews "celebrate" Passover...actually, the oldest continuously observed religious event in existence....every year as you note here.

But think about this....

...Passover is a specific event from Exodus...

...specifically the passing over of the angel of death during the slaughter of the babies of Egypt.

Supposedly this was done by the god of the Bible to get Pharaoh to release the Hebrews from their captivity.

But this is the same god who, just a few paragraphs earlier in Genesis, had created the Earth, the sun, the other 250 billion suns in our galaxy, the other hundreds of billions of other galaxies that we know about.

One would think that a god able to do that would be able to get Pharaoh to do damn near anything without this barbaric act of wonton murder...wouldn't one!

Well, anyway....Jews today still "celebrate" Passover....which they claim to be a celebration of the end of an ancient captivity...but is actually...SPECIFICALLY...the act of passing over the houses of the Hebrews during this brutal slaughter of Egyptian innocents.

I cannot help but wonder how the Jews of today would feel if the Egyptians had a holiday based on the slaughter of hundreds of thousands of innocent Hebrew babies.

Of course....when it comes to religion and the religious....there is no accounting.

What do you think?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 09:43 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
neologist wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Just another thought in passing:

Jews "celebrate" Passover...actually, the oldest continuously observed religious event in existence....every year as you note here.

But think about this....

...Passover is a specific event from Exodus...

...specifically the passing over of the angel of death during the slaughter of the babies of Egypt.

Supposedly this was done by the god of the Bible to get Pharaoh to release the Hebrews from their captivity.

But this is the same god who, just a few paragraphs earlier in Genesis, had created the Earth, the sun, the other 250 billion suns in our galaxy, the other hundreds of billions of other galaxies that we know about.

One would think that a god able to do that would be able to get Pharaoh to do damn near anything without this barbaric act of wonton murder...wouldn't one!

Well, anyway....Jews today still "celebrate" Passover....which they claim to be a celebration of the end of an ancient captivity...but is actually...SPECIFICALLY...the act of passing over the houses of the Hebrews during this brutal slaughter of Egyptian innocents.

I cannot help but wonder how the Jews of today would feel if the Egyptians had a holiday based on the slaughter of hundreds of thousands of innocent Hebrew babies.

Of course....when it comes to religion and the religious....there is no accounting.

What do you think?

You bring up a very interesting point, Frank.

Why celebrate the Passover at all if it never happened?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 05:30 am
real life wrote:

For the same reasons you folks "celebrate" Easter?????
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 05:44 am
real life wrote:

[/quote]

You seem to think this is so radical...that supposing it is absurd.

But this is what happens in goddam near every early civilization.

Are you prepared to suggest the same thing about Rome, for instance.?

Are you prepared to say that because the Romans supposed their city was founded by twins suckled by wolves...that must have been the way it happened?

Are you prepared to suggest that because they were sure enough of their history and mythology to build huge buildings in honor of those twins and their gods....

...the wolf suckled twins existed and founded Rome....

...and their pantheon of gods actually existed???????

Wake up!
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 08:00 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
real life wrote:

Think about it, Frank.

Suppose that you started "celebrating" a holiday based on the bearded people of New Jersey being spared any deaths when the Great New Jersey Earthquake of 2004 occurred. Multiple thousands of unbearded people died, you tell them, but all of the bearded people were spared. (But there was no Great Earthquake in 2004 in Jersey , right?)

How many people do you think would celebrate this? (Ok so you have a few friends that would as a lark probably.) And 3500 years from now how many of their descendants do you think would still be celebrating it?

To suppose that Passover was just made up out of nothing and continues for 3500 years is quite a stretch.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 08:18 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
real life wrote:

You seem to think this is so radical...that supposing it is absurd.

But this is what happens in goddam near every early civilization.

Are you prepared to suggest the same thing about Rome, for instance.?

Are you prepared to say that because the Romans supposed their city was founded by twins suckled by wolves...that must have been the way it happened?

Are you prepared to suggest that because they were sure enough of their history and mythology to build huge buildings in honor of those twins and their gods....

...the wolf suckled twins existed and founded Rome....

...and their pantheon of gods actually existed???????

Wake up!

Every culture has mythological figures that it "honors" in some way, and sometimes even builds monuments, etc to .

Paul Bunyan would be an American example. No American actually believes Paul Bunyan's tall tales, but you will find statues of him, etc in many places.

But to suppose that you could convince American society to adopt hundreds of unusual laws, in fact it's entire legal structure, legally binding and in some cases carrying the death penalty, based on the "experiences" of Paul Bunyan , or based on his supposed sayings, would never happen.

Not only did Hebrew society base their legal system upon the events recorded in the Torah, they adopted religious practices far different from any of the surrounding nations.

What convinced these people to adopt the peculiar Monotheism that they practiced (imperfectly) in stark contrast to neighboring Canaanites, Philistines, Egyptians, etc. ?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 08:32 am
real life wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
real life wrote:

Think about it, Frank.

I've thought about it. Why don't you try also!

Quote:
Suppose that you started "celebrating" a holiday based on the bearded people of New Jersey being spared any deaths when the Great New Jersey Earthquake of 2004 occurred. Multiple thousands of unbearded people died, you tell them, but all of the bearded people were spared. (But there was no Great Earthquake in 2004 in Jersey , right?)

This is too absurd to comment on further than noting that it is absurd.

Quote:
How many people do you think would celebrate this? (Ok so you have a few friends that would as a lark probably.) And 3500 years from now how many of their descendants do you think would still be celebrating it?

To suppose that Passover was just made up out of nothing and continues for 3500 years is quite a stretch.

It is not a stretch at all...except to someone wanting to suppose it could only be the result of a real event.

Traditions die hard. Jewish traditions die so goddam hard they almost seem not to die at all.

There is no stretch here at all, Life...except you stretching to try to make your belief system seem reasonable.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 08:39 am
real life wrote:
Every culture has mythological figures that it "honors" in some way, and sometimes even builds monuments, etc to .

Paul Bunyan would be an American example. No American actually believes Paul Bunyan's tall tales, but you will find statues of him, etc in many places.

But to suppose that you could convince American society to adopt hundreds of unusual laws, in fact it's entire legal structure, legally binding and in some cases carrying the death penalty, based on the "experiences" of Paul Bunyan , or based on his supposed sayings, would never happen.

And I suppose you have a point here?????

Quote:
Not only did Hebrew society base their legal system upon the events recorded in the Torah, they adopted religious practices far different from any of the surrounding nations.

No they didn't....but I guess that sounds good to you.

Quote:
What convinced these people to adopt the peculiar Monotheism that they practiced (imperfectly) in stark contrast to neighboring Canaanites, Philistines, Egyptians, etc. ?

One would almost have to come to the conclusion that the ancient Hebrews thought they were special.

Now what would make anyone do that???????

And someone like you wants to suppose that there is a GOD who made all the galaxies....and who decided that this particular group of people in captivity in Egypt were his favorites....and then, although he could do it by merely batting his eyelash (if he had eyelashes), he decided to free these people from their captivity by slaughtering a huge number of babies and animals...after first putting the poor folks of Egypt through excruciating pains and ordeals first.

What kind of fear causes this kind of blindness?

How numbing must it be?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 08:41 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
real life wrote:

I invite you all to read my EASTER STORY

Getting back to the time of the first Passover: Jehovah could certainly have simply blinded the Egyptians and allowed the Jews to walk away as their captors groped in darkness. (Or, if you will, I suppose He could have just said "POOF!")

So you must know from your reading that God orchestrated their release for a purpose, not the least of which was to demonstrate his power over an arrogant pharaoh.

Salvation was not limited to the Jews. A large mixed company left Egypt with the Israelites.

There's more to it, of course. But I've merited enough cursing for today.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 08:44 am
Have you ever read the disgusting text of Exodus, Life?

Do you realize it tells the story of a god who wanted to show Pharaoh how terrifying he could be...so he set up a bunch of tortures to put the people of Egypt through...and then "hardened Pharaoh's heart" so that Pharaoh would not relent.

This god actually brags that he will make Pharaoh obdurate...so that no one plague or hardship would work. The god actually brags that he will go on with the torture until the final one...the one the god was saving as its final piece of enjoyment...the senseless, wonton slaughter of untold numbers of firstborn babies and animals.

It is one of the most disgusting, barbaric myths ever created by human minds.

Wake up!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 08:47 am
neologist wrote:
[Getting back to the time of the first Passover: Jehovah could certainly have simply blinded the Egyptians and allowed the Jews to walk away as their captors groped in darkness. (Or, if you will, I suppose He could have just said "POOF!")

So you must know from your reading that God orchestrated their release for a purpose, not the least of which was to demonstrate his power over an arrogant pharaoh.

Salvation was not limited to the Jews. A large mixed company left Egypt with the Israelites.

Where is that written....or where you there?

Quote:
There's more to it, of course.

Ahhhh...and some day you will share it, no doubt.

Quote:
But I've merited enough cursing for today.

You are being way too mdoest. You merit much more!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 08:59 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
Have you ever read the disgusting text of Exodus, Life?

Do you realize it tells the story of a god who wanted to show Pharaoh how terrifying he could be...so he set up a bunch of tortures to put the people of Egypt through...and then "hardened Pharaoh's heart" so that Pharaoh would not relent.

This god actually brags that he will make Pharaoh obdurate...so that no one plague or hardship would work. The god actually brags that he will go on with the torture until the final one...the one the god was saving as its final piece of enjoyment...the senseless, wonton slaughter of untold numbers of firstborn babies and animals.

It is one of the most disgusting, barbaric myths ever created by human minds.

Wake up!
The final piece was the arrogance of Pharaoh, who after, having seen God's power and the incredible parting of the sea, chose to pursue the Israelites with his army. I don't know about you, but I'd have given up long before then.

And why, Frank, do you invoke the term 'babies' when describing the killing of the firstborn? Are you trying to add to what undeniably must have been a great horror for the people of Egypt? I look back on that story with sympathy for those people who really didn't know what was happening to them. I have to keep in mind that all those who died without knowing God will be resurrected and have the opportunity to live the life that Adam and Eve lost.

If you believe the bible, that is.
0 Replies