Do Warner Bros. and Disney still dominate the TV toon market like they did in the late 20th century?

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2019 07:08 am
@izzythepush,
Alan Young voiced Scrooge McDuck for most of the character's history, for the original Ducktales and other Disney projects. Was Young Scottish?
izzythepush

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2019 07:22 am
@JGoldman10,
I don't know, but he didn't sound it. He sounded like someone trying to sound Scottish.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2019 07:30 am
@JGoldman10,
According to Wikipedia, Young was born in England to Scottish parents, but he spend most of his life in North America.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2019 07:31 am
@Rebelofnj,
I just just going to post that- thank you.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2019 07:32 am
@izzythepush,
He was Scottish. According to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Young :

His hometown is Edinburgh, Scotland.

He was raised in North America. That's probably why his Scottish accent sounded fake.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2019 07:39 am
@JGoldman10,
Computer aided aimation is cheaper and easier, which is why networks use that method.

Doing animation the traditional way is more expensive and takes much longer.

There is also the recent focus towards better writing over better animation.

We had this discussion before.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2019 07:53 am
@JGoldman10,
He moved to Canada when he was six and he was originally from North Shields.

His accent would have been Canadian.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2019 01:46 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
I just just going to post that.

Truly the mark of a person with a "170" i. q.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2019 05:26 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

Computer-aided animation is cheaper and easier, which is why networks use that method.

I know that.

Rebelofnj wrote:

Doing animation the traditional way is more expensive and takes much longer.

I know that also.

Rebelofnj wrote:

There is also the recent focus towards better writing over better animation.

Yes, but why? Good writing is important. If you don't have a good story the whole project suffers.

The point I was trying to make is you can still do a quality-level animation that is computer aided and still have a good story.

I think there should be a balance, even in TV animation, or TV animation-like cartoons shown online.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2019 05:44 pm
@JGoldman10,
I'm also unsure what you consider as high quality animation. In your opinion, what is the best example of TV animation?

You mentioned Legend of the Three Caballeros, but it doesn't look as good as one might think.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2019 06:02 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I have to think about it.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2019 06:15 pm
@JGoldman10,
Usually, people have cited Batman: The Animated Series and Samuari Jack as some of the best animated shows.

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2019 07:33 pm
@Rebelofnj,
That Batman series is computer-aided? Is that the show from the '90s or a later series?
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2019 07:38 pm
@JGoldman10,
It is the 1992-1995 series. It was followed by the 1999 Batman Beyond cartoon and the early 2000s Justice League cartoon.

I'm assuming the later episodes are computer aided. Its tie in movie, Batman: Subzero, used CGI for some of the action scenes and an elaborate Batwing launch sequence.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2019 07:44 pm
@Rebelofnj,
What about the Duck Dodgers series from the early 2000's? That was computer-aided and had high production values.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2019 08:02 pm
@JGoldman10,
I only saw the Green Lantern episode of Duck Dodgers years ago, so I have no opinion about the series as a whole.

For a more recent example of quality animation, I would mention Steven Universe, The Amazing World of Gumball, and Adventure Time.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2019 10:21 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I wonder why Warner Bros. never made a Duck Dodgers movie.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2019 10:50 pm
@JGoldman10,
Probably because Looney Tunes: Back in Action was a box office disappointment and Warner Bros didn't want to spend money on another possible flop.
Plus, the show came out around the time traditional animated films were failing at the box office while computer animated films (Shrek 2, Madagascar, Finding Nemo, Ice Age, etc) were successful.

Also, I don't recall Duck Dodgers being popular enough to justify a film
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 30 Sep, 2019 06:47 am
@Rebelofnj,
The Duck Dodgers movie didn't have to be based on the series, it could have just been based on the classic Duck Dodgers shorts.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 30 Sep, 2019 07:25 am
@Rebelofnj,
A handful of classic Disney cartoon shows had cult followings, but obviously weren't popular enough to spawn any animated feature film adaptations, for whatever reason.

The only two I can think of off-hand that spawned feature films were Ducktales and Goof Troop.
0 Replies