Do Warner Bros. and Disney still dominate the TV toon market like they did in the late 20th century?

izzythepush

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2020 05:14 am
@JGoldman10,
Furries are not anthropomorphic, they’re people dressed up.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2020 12:36 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Going back to the main thread:

Watching the first part of the Frozen II documentary, it is apparent that producing a high budget animated sequel of a well loved and successful film requires a lot of people and a lot of patience.

*Co-director Jennifer Lee wrote a diary from Queen Elsa's point of view, as a way to figure out how to work on the sequel.

*Apparently, Disney has a story trust, where all of their directors and writers from their other films (Moana, Wreck It Ralph, Big Hero 6) watch an early version of the film (which still has storyboards and limited animation) and critique the film. The early version of Frozen II was too dark and confusing.

*Main character Elsa has a team of 70 animators. To get certain movements correct, the animators filmed themselves doing the actions. They also incorporated actress Idina Menzel's facial expressions and hand movements in some shots when she recorded her lines.

*Disney Studios have received a lot of fan mail regarding Frozen, and they posted some of them on their hallways. One letter in particular by a 14 year old teen is pretty emotional.

*Writing the key song Show Yourself in the film's climax was a complicated process, as the writers, directors, and songwriters were frustrated at what is suppose to happen in the song.
Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2020 01:48 pm
Speaking of WB, Disney and their animated offerings.

It is reported that the DC animated series Harley Quinn, which just finished its second season, may be added to HBO MAX in the near future.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/report-harley-quinn-is-on-its-way-to-hbo-max-which-mi-1844195793

HBO also just premiered the Adventure Time special, Distant Lands, and the new film Scoob!

Meanwhile, Disney Plus has added the 70s educational show Schoolhouse Rocks. As far as I can tell, other than the occasional animated short, Disney has plans to release a new Chip and Dale series by the end of the year.
https://www.animationmagazine.net/tv/first-look-disney-unveils-pics-from-new-chip-n-dale-series-at-annecy/
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2020 03:01 am
Since WB owns the rights to H-B and MGM cartoon properties now, they are coming out with a 3D CGI Tom and Jerry movie next year.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2020 03:18 am
@Rebelofnj,
Can you talk about any Disney property besides Frozen? I am tired of hearing about it. I'm not interested in reading about some girly cartoon.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2020 04:30 am
@JGoldman10,
What if they started farting?
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2020 04:33 am
@JGoldman10,
As I mentioned earlier, I am mainly using Frozen because it annoys you and it seems you are unaware of the plot or characters.

Also the two films are some of Disney's most successful films, so they are a good example of worldwide popularity.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2020 07:45 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Can you talk about any Disney property besides Frozen? I am tired of hearing about it. I'm not interested in reading about some girly cartoon.

Girly cartoon? Are you 5 years old? Then stop driveling with questions of what's popular if you clearly don't want to hear the answer.

Tangled: The Series
Doc McStuffins
My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
Vampirina
Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts
The Loud House
Hilda
Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir
Infinity Train
Disenchantment
She-Ra and the Princesses of Power
: The series just finished up after 5 seasons.
Carmen Sandiego
The Owl House: Waiting for this to come to Disney+
Glitch Techs

(Bolded shows are ones I've watched and cannot recommend highly enough.

Sorry. My bad. They have female lead characters. That hurts your misogynistic religious beliefs, right? You ask for what's popular. The latest generation is far more gender-neutral in terms of the shows they watch. Meaning, they're not concerned with the gender of the main character being different from their own and having that discrepancy be the deciding reason to not watch something.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2020 03:30 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I'm not annoyed. I'd like you to stop talking about it. I know the films focus on two sisters and one of them is an ice witch.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2020 04:12 pm
@JGoldman10,
As I said before, literally everything popular has something that is offensive to you.

Even if I did stop using Frozen as my go-to Disney example, the next film I use may not be appropriate to you in some way.

Plus, it is getting confusing what you even consider offensive. You talk about Marvel and DC a lot (making threads about the superheroes and asking questions about them), but their universes each have elements that should offend you (magic, other deities, etc). Like the Harley Quinn series I mentioned has parts you would dislike.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2020 04:24 pm
@JGoldman10,
If instead of being an ice witch she was a fart witch would that be OK?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2020 04:51 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I've seen clips from the new online Harley Quinn series. I don't like it.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2020 05:09 pm
@JGoldman10,
You definitely wouldn't like the series' gay romance story arc in the second season, plus all the blood and profanity.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2020 05:20 pm
@Rebelofnj,
The show is too crude and vulgar. Thank you for telling me.
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2020 08:54 am
@JGoldman10,
You would never watch it anyway since it is only available (legally) through premium services.

Plus, it is set in the DC universe, which has magic users and deities.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2020 12:07 am
@Rebelofnj,
So does Marvel.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2020 05:08 am
I found out some interesting facts about Disney's animation process through the Frozen II documentary.

*I had always thought they would start animating the film a couple of years before the release date. Turns out the actual production begins under a year before the release date. For Frozen II, it has a November 2019 release date and by February 2019, all they had finished was storyboards, some voice work, a temp score, and a handful of animated test scenes.

*The finalized script for Frozen II was completed in June 2020, 5 months before its release. The original script was modified after the internal studio screening in March 2020 and was modified again in June after the first audience test screening.

*Throughout the documentary, it is very clear that the "Show Yourself" sequence is the film's most complicated and difficult scene, from the filmmakers' frustration and confusion over what is suppose to happen, to how to design and animate Elsa's new dress. A script re-write in April led them to add another character (Elsa's mother) to the scene, which then led to modify the song (turning into a duet) and bringing back the actress to sing new lines.

*The end of the documentary shows how popular the franchise is. They showed news broadcasts in different languages (German, Japanese, Portuguese, etc) talking about the film's release. They also showed a montage of fans around the world singing "Into The Unknown" from the film.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2020 05:49 am
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

For Frozen II, it has a November 2019 release date and by February 2019, all they had finished was storyboards, some voice work, a temp score, and a handful of animated test scenes.

*The finalized script for Frozen II was completed in June 2020, 5 months before its release.

Your dates don’t make sense.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2020 06:13 am
@izzythepush,
Sorry, I meant to write June 2019 when the script was final.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2020 06:53 am
@Rebelofnj,
Thanks, that makes sense. I wasn't being snotty, I was confused.
0 Replies