Nipple Me This... Are You Offended By Nipples?

Zane

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 08:04 am
Synonymph wrote:
If nipples are so dangerous, what about cleavage?

mmm... looks good to me.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 08:09 am
You're drooling, Chocolate Love God.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 02:47 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
dragon49 wrote:
bella-in austin, texas, where a man can legally go topless, so can a woman. gotta love it!

heeven, i am so sorry! the only thing that has worked for me is the victoria's secret miracle bra (and i am well endowed as well-i order off the website because they don't carry my size in the stores). that thing is like a helmet! if you have tried it and it hasn't work, wow you have some powerful ladies.

i have to agree, as i said before, it is a natural occurance - just like breastfeeding. why is it so taboo? i was in our pool just last weekend with my husband and the water was a little chilly, the first thing he said to me was--hey nipples. i guess for men (and maybe some of them can give me insight) it is signifying that we may be turned on since it also happens then. and since they are so driven by sex (by nature) they get a little excited when our nipples are up.

But I don't think that in other countries nipples are so sexual all the time. I mean, they can be but so can chocolate and we don't orgasm or get wet every time we see a candy bar. It's all about conditioning.

So, help me out here, anyone from a country other than US...

Topless and NUDE beaches ALL over Europe (including the UK), and it is no problem at all. My son has been with us on European holidays since he was a toddler, and topless women on a beach is now just a natural sight for him.
At a beach bar, sit a Western European 18 year old boy next to the same age boy from a "repressed" country (repressed can mean anything from banning topless, through to full burkha).
Now sit an 18 year old, attractive topless girl opposite them at the same table.
For the purpose of the exercise, all can speak fluent English, and all are strictly hetero.
I know which boy is going to treat her more like an equal human being and strike up a conversation, not really caring about her body on show.
I also know which boy will be more likely to either refuse to look at her, get embarrassed or, more worryingly, leer and/or behave inappropriately.
I am impressed with the youngsters attitude over here (europe). There is no sniggering, they are more mature in that respect than my generation ever were, and there is total equality.
I am not advocating lewd behaviour in public, but I cant see anything offensive about being topless, or nipples on show.
I assure you, the novelty very quickly wears off (at the most, half an hour during your first visit to a topless beach) and you really dont care after that.
We strayed onto a Nudist beach in Greece once.......same difference.

I find it funny that this is such a big issue in the USA. You lead the world in so many ways......but sometimes you ARE a bit........................
........<ahem>....wierd.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 02:53 pm
chuck it up to christianity.

(Embarrassed)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 02:54 pm
You don't know the half of it Lordbarebosom . . . its the reactionary Protestant factor . . . you know why Baptists are opposed to sex? They're afraid it might lead to dancing . . .

For an even more wry take on the subject, H. L. Mencken: Puritanism--the haunting fear that someone somewhere might be happy.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 02:57 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 03:09 pm
Setanta wrote:
You don't know the half of it Lordbarebosom . . . its the reactionary Protestant factor . . . you know why Baptists are opposed to sex? They're afraid it might lead to dancing . . .

For an even more wry take on the subject, H. L. Mencken: Puritanism--the haunting fear that someone somewhere might be happy.

Shewolf and Set....I think you are right. There DOES seem to be one hell of a lot of zealots over there. They are in no way the majority, IMO, but they do seem to hold the reins of power.
They would probably mock, or look down on, the Countries that force their women to wear the Burkha, but when you think about it, they have a very similar chain of thought towards the liberty of their own women.
Why do they see the female nipple as offensive, and not the male?
Strange..............
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 03:19 pm
If there was an answer to that, I would run for president. WITH my nipples showing.

It seems that here in america, where christianity is rampid. . self shame and sexual repression nipps ones heals as well.
If wearing a Burka gave christianity more power, it would be done as well.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 03:29 pm
Just out of pure curiosity, what proportion of the US population would you say, are "ultra" Christian?
Do they have much influence in the day to day running of your lives? If so, why?

Over here, Christianity is very much in the background. A small proportion go to Church regularly, some more "believe", but they do not hold sway at all in the running of Britain.

I would say that this is the case for most of Europe. Spain, Italy and Poland are quite devout, but again, do not have too much influence in Politics.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 03:32 pm
There are at least two periods in modern European history when women (limited to elite women) bared their breasts in public. One was in late 17th century England as a sign of motherhood (elite women with young children) and in late 18th early 19th century France when elite women would bare a single breast, it was a sign of support for the revolution. There was a somewhat (very somewhat) similar occurence in mid 17th century New England where a number of gravestones have carved objects which are called pomegranates, but look suspiciously like female breasts. It is assumed to have religious symbolic significance.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 03:49 pm
Acqui, your post makes a very good point, if you'll excuse the pun.
Breasts should be something to be proud of, "badges of honour" so to speak.
I love seeing Mums breastfeeding in Restaurants, shopping malls etc., and in my view, not enough women "feed" in public.
I dont blame them, as it is still seen as an embarrassing thing, or even shameful, so why put yourself up for public humiliation or abuse?

To almost force our young mothers with their innocent young babies, to scuttle off to some dingy room in order to breastfeed, squarely puts the shame on to society, I say.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 04:26 pm
Lordnomanisaneyeland, the religious zealots here probably number no more than a few million, less than 2% i would opine. However, conservative christians who are not necessarily zealots are in many tens of millions, so an appeal to the right-wing fringe does not necessarily offend them. I would guess, purely speculation, that there are sufficient millions who are dedicated to sexual repression for religious reasons, even if they don't recognize it as such, that things aren't likely to change soon.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 04:53 pm
The statistics I've seen put the conservative protestant population at about 20 percent but as Set points out that covers a great deal of variation from Mennonites to right wing dingbat evangelicals The problem is that if you can get that population to all vote the same ticket it carries considerable weight and can determin an election. That explains some (but by no means all or even most) of the actions of the Republican dominated congress and the Bush administration.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 05:01 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
To almost force our young mothers with their innocent young babies, to scuttle off to some dingy room in order to breastfeed, squarely puts the shame on to society, I say.

That reminds me of my precious little daughter who asked - as she saw a
mother breastfeeding for the first time: "Mom, when does the milk
get sour?"
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 05:27 pm
I can imagine a girl might think that.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 05:30 pm
My mom taught me that only right wing moms produce sour milk.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 07:46 pm
I'm a just watching a Mariah Carey videoclip on a extra-large monitor in the internet cafe. Amazingly every costume she wears she's barely holding them in - no nipples though, the girl must have class.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 07:56 pm
I read somewhere that erect nipples are "out" - must be taping them over....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 08:12 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Acqui, your post makes a very good point, if you'll excuse the pun.
Breasts should be something to be proud of, "badges of honour" so to speak.
I love seeing Mums breastfeeding in Restaurants, shopping malls etc., and in my view, not enough women "feed" in public.
I dont blame them, as it is still seen as an embarrassing thing, or even shameful, so why put yourself up for public humiliation or abuse?

*APPLAUSE!*
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 08:15 pm
Erect nipples "out"... does that fit with war economy and short skirts?
0 Replies