Nipple Me This... Are You Offended By Nipples?

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 04:49 pm
Quote:
Nipple-negating technology declares war on female breasts

Nipples have become society's latest taboo, much to the chagrin of actresses such as Canada's Pam Anderson , writes Misty Harris

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

CREDIT: Louis Lanzano, The Canadian Press
In an example of the anti-nipple phenomenon, Canadian actress Pamela Anderson complained that network censors ordered her nipples be 'taped down' during filming of her new TV series, Stacked, so as not to offend prime-time audiences.

The good news is those weapons of mass destruction have finally been found.

The bad news is your mother, sister, aunt, and grandma are all guilty of having them.

Sixteen months after the Super Bowl's tempest in a C-cup, war has been declared on women's breasts. From Desperate House-wives' deployment of digital nipple-erasers to Victoria's Secret's nipple-negating bras, a campaign is under way to conceal one of the natural features of the female breast.

The producers of TV's Desperate Housewives have reportedly spent thousands of dollars digitally removing the nipples from on-screen images of actresses Teri Hatcher and Nicolette Sheridan.

In discussing the show's "nipple problem," series creator Marc Cherry tells the Philadelphia Daily News: "Certain actresses really don't like to wear bras. And we try to accommodate them as much as humanly possible. ... So we've done a lot of blurring."

Jeff Jarvis, founder of buzzmachine.com and creator of Entertainment Weekly, jokingly calls it "the nipple clause." As in, "I have the right to have them, you have the right to airbrush them."

A similar situation exists on Canadian actress Pamela Anderson's new TV series, Stacked. In an April interview on Howard Stern's radio show, the actress complained that network censors ordered her nipples be "taped down" during filming so as not to offend prime-time audiences.

"What we have are media executives coming around trying to suggest they should protect us from this, because they're trying to protect themselves," says Mr. Jarvis. "Is there really going to be an outcry? In fact, shouldn't the person who causes that outcry be embarrassed?"

Mr. Jarvis adds: "At some point, I think this becomes a case for the National Organization for Women. Going back to Janet Jackson, when did people's lives get ruined by seeing a breast?"

The bizarre trend isn't limited to celebrity skin.

According to a spokeswoman for Victoria's Secret, one of the biggest complaints from the company's clients was "nipple show-through" in unlined bras. They responded by introducing the much-hyped Ipex, a bra with a contoured pad designed to prevent this problem from arising.

Gary Grizzle, an associate professor of sociology at Florida's Barry University, says the trend represents a shift from a way of thinking in which a woman's ambition, not her sexuality, was considered the greater menace.

"For most of the '80s and '90s, the real threat, as far as women go, had to do with their career aspirations," he recalls. "Normally, we assume that when the focus is on women, they'll be very sexual and very submissive. It's the ones in the three-piece suits that scare the hell out of us."

Mr. Grizzle says current anti-nipple sentiments are steeped in the same notions that cause some religions to keep women covered up and out of holy places because a woman's "sexuality disrupts everything that men try to accomplish."

Radar magazine's Daniel Radosh proposes another possibility. He writes that because "wardrobe malfunctions" have become so commonplace, attitudes toward self-exposing celebrities have become more critical.

Do nipples offend you? Why or why not?

edit: Ooops, better cite my source. Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 11,352 • Replies: 151
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 04:52 pm
(Great title.)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 05:35 pm
Nipples nipples nipples nipples nipples nipples nipples nipples. Oh to be Hugh Hefner for a night.
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 05:36 pm
It's weird. I don't mind them on others, but feel self-conscious when mine are obvious, especially in a professional setting (office) for example.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 05:41 pm
It is clear that the prudes of this world have WAAY too much time on their hands....

We should strive to give them something better to worry about.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 05:47 pm
Quote:
A similar situation exists on Canadian actress Pamela Anderson's new TV series, Stacked. In an April interview on Howard Stern's radio show, the actress complained that network censors ordered her nipples be "taped down" during filming so as not to offend prime-time audiences.

Which is more titillating, seeing a nipple or knowing that they are bound with tape? Maybe Howard can find the answer.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 05:52 pm
I am offended by nipples . . . always hiding away, dodging the press, trying to pretend they don't exist . . . more nipples in the public eye (ouch ! ! ! ) and we might have far fewer problems with repressed sexuality. If women went around topless when the weather permitted, men would be seeking out and ogling the women wearing a shirt . . .

Damned nipples . . .
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 05:53 pm
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that people who are offended by nipples are tuning in to Desperate Housewives and Stacked......
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 06:14 pm
This hoofra sounds like conspicuous public virtue--from both the tape-'em-down and the show'\-'em-off parties.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 06:21 pm
I never met a nipple that I didn't like - Intrepid
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 06:36 pm
boomerang wrote:
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that people who are offended by nipples are tuning in to Desperate Housewives and Stacked......

There we go... cut to the chase, Boomerang! That reminds me of the person who walked out offended from a movie called "Chainsaw Massacre."

Who was it... (Oh, I remember, I wonder if she'll post?)... who referred to visible nipples as having your party hats on? Very Happy
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 06:52 pm
I love little nips straining hard and standing proud against an alpaca sweater on a cold day.
Now guys with manboobs should tape em down , or not wear tee shirts. Does that make me gay?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 07:03 pm
I'm in the kirsten crowd. Others don't bother me, but I don't want my own standing at attention simply because of the oggling. Trying to buy a bra that prevents them from showing on occasion has been a real bother.

After children, they took on a whole different meaning, and I now have a hard time figuring out why they are considered sexy. They're just boobs and nipples. Big deal.

I figure if guys are still that easily distracted by something half the population has, then nows our chance to take over the world girls!

(FLASH!!)
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 07:04 pm
squinney wrote:
I'm in the kirsten crowd. Others don't bother me, but I don't want my own standing at attention simply because of the oggling. Trying to buy a bra that prevents them from showing on occasion has been a real bother.

After children, they took on a whole different meaning, and I now have a hard time figuring out why they are considered sexy. They're just boobs and nipples. Big deal.

I figure if guys are still that easily distracted by something half the population has, then nows our chance to take over the world girls!

(FLASH!!)

Keep dreaming honey, keep dreaming.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 07:05 pm
farmerman wrote:
I love little nips straining hard and standing proud against an alpaca sweater on a cold day.
Now guys with manboobs should tape em down , or not wear tee shirts. Does that make me gay?

No, just very VERY sensitive...in a brutish and masculine way of course...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 07:32 pm
whew, they say that if you worry that youre gay, youre really gay. I just find man boobs funny. I keep thinkin of Kramer and Gorge Casyanzas father selling the "Bro"
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 08:04 pm
My grandfathr wore undershirts. He is, even today, very fit and does not have man boobs, but the undershirts made for a cleaner / crisper look.

Do men still wear those?

I find man boobs much more offensive than female nipples. Let's airbrush man boobs!

(FLASH!!!)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 08:14 pm
Hmmm. Mostly I am glad to discern female nipples, in ordinary photos, as it means I am not the only one - I guess I am gifted and I'm not too interested in wearing padded bras or bandaids.

Male nipples in an ordinary photo with clothed people? I dunno, I guess I haven't noticed.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 08:26 pm
When nipples are outlawed, only outlaws will have nipples.

(Proud outlaw here...)
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 08:38 pm
Storm in a B-cup.

If we weren't supposed to look at em, why did they end up WAY out in front?
0 Replies