SAVE A COW . . . EAT A VEGETARIAN

kickycan

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 10:23 pm
Oh, no fair! You stopped me right at mid-thigh...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 10:25 pm
dagmarka. Have you been introduced to the concept of SCRAPPLE? It is the naughty bits and more disgusting bits of the pig. It is boiled and fat rendered and this whole thing is mushed up with a corn meal and pepper and sage and mace and then molded into loaves.
The scrapple is then lightly and slowly fried till crispy on the outside and somewhat coenmealy and meaty on the inside. This is then served with eggs (sunny side up) and home fries with onion in there The topping of choice on the scrapple itself,, is molasses.
This is a breakfast worth all the risk factors that are cearly marked on the package.
Its an acquired taste. We tried to offer it to visitors from Wisconsin. They just toyed with it, ate the eggs and home fries around it and said "OHH MAN IM REALLY FULL" buncha pussies.We had some friends visi us from Montana, they couldnt get enough of it. We hadda get a big order made up at the butcher so they could carry it back in their rv.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 10:26 pm
sublime1 wrote:
I have always had mint jelly with lamb, it was what I looked forward to every Easter.

AHAAAH! Thought so, it's nice to hear that. I had an awful feeling that you may have changed it to blueberry or something.

I was a great devotee of mint Sauce (jelly, as you say) until I went to my Mother in Law's place for a Lamb Roast dinner.....and tried her "mint salad". I suppose, if you wish to be trendy, it would probably be called a "Salsa" or something equally exotic nowadays.
This was a recipe that was handed down from HER mother, so it has been around for a while, but obviously not in the London area (she hails from the wild North East of England).
We have since converted everyone we know, when they come round for dinner. Beats ordinary Mint doo dah into a cocked hat.

SEXED UP MINT SAUCE/JELLY.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Into a medium sized bowl, sling a fair amount of boring Mint sauce/jelly.

Add Sugar (to taste) and Vinegar (malt vinegar if you can get it)...about four squirts, three glugs or a handful, whichever measurement regime that you ascribe to.

Take one eating (dessert) apple, and remove any hard seedy bits, or stalk that normally end up getting stuck in one's teeth.

Cut and dice said apple, and throw into bowl unceremoniously.

Take one lettuce heart (you know the thing, little cruchy inner bit, about a fist size) and remove anything with antannae.

Cut lettuce heart in half, and place one half back into the fridge in order that it may lurk at the back of the shelf, go brown and eventually dissolve all over the goods on the shelf below.

Shred other half into small strips, and casually fling this into aforementioned bowl.

Mix vigorously whilst listening to "Brown Sugar" by the Rolling Stones.

Leave it to sulk in the fridge for about an hour, whilst Lamb is nicely burning in the oven, and a corkscrew is sought for the bottle of Shiraz wine.

When dinner is served, drizzle green mushy stuff all over the great heap of steaming lamb on one's plate.

Eat said platefull, leave washing up until later on, and sleep in a comfy chair for two hours.

MARVELLOUS!
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 10:28 pm
Farmerman - you have piqued the interest of this city boy, then again I have always considered myself better than my northern neighbors. :wink:
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 10:36 pm
Lord Ellpus - Sounds interesting, if I will make it I will follow your directions preciseley.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 10:39 pm
Long as don't nobody try to give me no headcheese sammich, i'll be ok . . . as has already been noted, there's almost no part of the pig, saving the hooves and bristles, which is not edible . . . but i'll pass on the headcheese--i've seen it made from scratch too often . . .
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 10:40 pm
farmer - i'd try just about anything. coming from eastern europe, i've been to many pig slaughterings - grandma and aunts always had pigs in their backyards. i had (and admit -liked) pig brain, ears , snout, tripe, everything. naughty bits probably go into sausages. they utilize every inch of the pig. my excuse: i was a kid, i didn't know any better. truth be told, when i came back 2-3 years back all urbanized and americanized, my stomach was turning from all the smells. i read a book in the living room. wuss. oh well.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 10:41 pm
One can make use of every part of the Pig, except for the squeak.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 10:42 pm
Just a friendly reminder, folks:

Vote early, vote often, vote pork . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 10:43 pm
I dunno, Lordoftheflies, i don't think i'll be eatin' no hooves nor bristles anytime soon . . .
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 10:44 pm
Setanta wrote:
msolga wrote:
What's the reason for this anti-vego outburst, doggy person? Confused A bad experience with a vegetarian? Guilt at your rampant carnivore habits? Come on, tell .....!

The hope of really, really p*ssing some whacko off . . . enough that they would regale us with their indignation . . . anyway, it's a bumper sticker in Ireland, of which i saw an image . . .

You can't piss us veggies off... we're too pacifistic...

<<clasps hands piously and looks beatific and saintly>>
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 10:44 pm
Meatloaf sammich, Dora ?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 10:46 pm
My dad told us that when he was a kid he used to watch his dad slaughter lambs. He said they sounded like babies screaming right as their throats were slit.
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 10:46 pm
No, I saw that thread where you're having some kinda crazy fit in the middle of your sammich and Sprite... now I don't trust your cookin'
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 10:48 pm
Set, it is not the case that every part of the Pig may be eaten.

Hooves, when dried properly, make good garden ornaments.

Bristles, depending on length, may be used as dental floss if long, or short ones may be collected, bound together and used as a Moustache grooming implement.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 10:49 pm
Uh oh...
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 10:51 pm
I was thinking-- since I voted human, it could either be the "fava beans and a nice chianti" thing, or i'm just nice to my boyfriend Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 10:52 pm
Well, Lordflyingpigs, i did in fact stipulate the exclusion of the hooves and bristles . . . we got butchered sides of meat when i was a kid, but i also got work on farms when i was still young, helping on slaughtering days--sort of like Michaelmas . . . threw me right off headcheese, but the rest of it doesn't bother me . . . i can eat sausage with no problem . . .
0 Replies

sublime1

kickycan wrote:
My dad told us that when he was a kid he used to watch his dad slaughter lambs. He said they sounded like babies screaming right as their throats were slit.

Tell me kicky, have the lambs stopped screaming?

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2003/SHOWBIZ/Movies/10/20/sprj.caf03.film.chainsaw.ap/story.silence.jpg
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

dora17 wrote:
I was thinking-- since I voted human, it could either be the "fava beans and a nice chianti" thing, or i'm just nice to my boyfriend Smile

Do you do Lunchtime specials, perchance?
0 Replies