SAVE A COW . . . EAT A VEGETARIAN

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 09:45 pm
I haven't seen either ellpus, lord, or Gus. What then is to become of us?
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 09:48 pm
Damn cannibals are getting out of hand.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 09:49 pm
Let us all sleep with one eye open ...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 10:01 pm
schnore....snuffle...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 01:20 am
Am I imagining this, or has the "human" vote increased? Twisted Evil

Eat more humans, save the planet! Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 01:44 am
Well, not for a day or two, but yes, it has been steadily climbing; if you'll read back through, some of our members wonder where Lord Ellpus and Gus are, and suspect the hitherto unsuspected cannibals amongst us . . .
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 04:02 pm
There is a strange, almost savage drumbeat coming from the forest.
I think I will don my pith helmet, grab my carbine and go investigate...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 04:13 pm
Careful out there, boss, ol' Vachel Lindsey's been missin' fer a number of years now . . .

Listen to the yell of Leopold's ghost
Burning in Hell for his hand-maimed host.
Hear how the demons chuckle and yell
Cutting his hands off, down in Hell.
Listen to the creepy proclamation,
Blown through the lairs of the forest-nation,
Blown past the white-ants' hill of clay,
Blown past the marsh where the butterflies play: --
"Be careful what you do,
Or Mumbo-Jumbo, God of the Congo,
And all of the other
Gods of the Congo,
Mumbo-Jumbo will hoo-doo you,
Mumbo-Jumbo will hoo-doo you,
Mumbo-Jumbo will hoo-doo you."
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 04:15 pm
You remind me of a man.
What man ?
The man with the power.
What power ?
The power of HooDoo.
HooDoo ?
You do.
I do what ?
You remind me of a man.

(ad infinitum...)

From "The Batchelor and the Bobby Soxer" one of Cary Grant's lesser movies
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 09:21 pm
Turns out,
It was just some emo kids up the road starting a band.
I made pretty quick work of them with the carbine.
They were delicious.
Ummm.

I mean, they were dressed really well.

Yeah , that's it...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 09:25 pm
Speaking of cannibals, you've all heard the one about the two canibals feasting on the remains of a circus clown and one canibal says to the other: "Does this taste funny to you?"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 05:06 am
Rim shot please . . .
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 05:58 pm
LionTamerX wrote:
Anyone seen Ellpus lately, I'm a bit worried that he has been carried off by the cannibals.
I found his pith helmet lying next to another thread.

Yes, I was ambushed by an A2K Sith, but gave it both barrels.

Apart from that I've been house hunting !!

Found a few places that seemed to fit the bill (big garden, near Olde Worlde Pub, working toilet...that sort of thing)....now all we have to do is sell our house. Easy really...................

P.S. This is the one that the better half has her eye on.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-6604685.rsp?pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

I wouldnt mind, but during the summer we would be inundated with American tourists all looking for some Playwright called William someone or other.
If we get it, maybe I could host a A2K literary meet sometime.
The women could use my living room to talk about Titania, while the blokes can all follow me down to the Pub to sample some English beer.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 06:41 pm
I like the details given in thead. It seems that they wish to convey some useful information other than some "this one wont last" crap I like the way they ran out of time and did not measure the fourth bedroom.
Is that a thatch roof? How does one maintain a thatch roof. Must one water it frequently or mow it? If one replaces a thatch roof with anew one I suppose one would have to remove the old one first. Is there an underlayment or some roof struts underneath? Always interested in thatch rooves. The Swedes had them here in the US for the first hundred years or so. The beavers kept building dams in the spartina meadows so the Swedes started using slate, of which there is a great abundance.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 06:51 pm
No women in the pubs there, what?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 08:29 pm
Lordy! You're back!

<runs up, throws arms around Ellpus, gives him a big smooch>

We missed you!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 08:50 pm
That's true, we have, schniff.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 09:07 pm
and room for some cricket!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 09:28 pm
Lordaleaping, is that a "real" half-timbered house? Is the roof "real" thatch? Not being fussy here, i just wondered if such houses were available. When i briefly lived in Ireland, one could hire a crew to come thatch the roof--at god-awful expense.

Will you have room for an abattoir in the back?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 01:02 am
farmerman wrote:
I like the details given in thead. It seems that they wish to convey some useful information other than some "this one wont last" crap I like the way they ran out of time and did not measure the fourth bedroom.
Is that a thatch roof? How does one maintain a thatch roof. Must one water it frequently or mow it? If one replaces a thatch roof with anew one I suppose one would have to remove the old one first. Is there an underlayment or some roof struts underneath? Always interested in thatch rooves. The Swedes had them here in the US for the first hundred years or so. The beavers kept building dams in the spartina meadows so the Swedes started using slate, of which there is a great abundance.

I just love the way you write Farmerman......you're so........olde worlde, you would fit right in over here, methinks.
Yes, it's a thatched roof...most of the material for thatching comes from the Norfolk Broads, a vast network of rivers in East Anglia (Norfolk mainly) which is basically land reclaimed from the sea by means of a superb drainage system. Nimhs ancestors came over here from Holland and arranged the whole thing for us back in the time of the black death or thereabouts. Acre upon acre of reedbeds...more than enough to supply the thatching industry.
The roof normally needs a "top dressing" about every ten years or so, and house owners usually take out an investment policy for that duration, so that when it matures, it pays for the roof to be done (about £5K or so). The thatch in total is about two feet thick, and they remove six inches of old, replacing it with new. If it is left too long, the whole lot needs replacing, and costs an absolute fortune.
Nowadays, one can have "treated" fireproof thatch as a top coat....you can take a flamethrower to the bugger and it will take a year or so to catch light.
The thatch sits on a "wattle and daub" frame (old fashioned plaster board, the "daub" is made of straw mixed with a wonderful concoction of clay, cowdung and just about anything else that may set hard. The "wattle" is a criss cross frame of thin strips of wood, or a woven frame of thin branches). No mowing or watering required, although in times of drought, houseowners occasionally sprinkle it with the hose, just in case a neighbour decides to have a bonfire.
This type of building is normally just called a "Tudor house" here, although it may be earlier or later than the 16th Century. The whole frame is made of solid oak, and a proper one will not have a single nail in it....all wooden "slot and peg".
We had a quick look inside this one.....big beams everywhere, with even the original three wavy lines carved above the inside of the front door. This symbolises water, and is supposed to deter Witches. The Mother in Law comes in through the back door then, I suppose.
No doubt it will be sold before we can put in a serious offer.....but it was only a quick browse anyway....and there are plenty more out there.
0 Replies