Am I being stupid?

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 07:01 pm
Glad to see all this. When I left for work this a.m. I was worried re boomer et al. Not that I live my life through other's travails, but, geez, we can really care here.

I am still for Mom, and no dilution of that. But... whatever you end up feeling good about.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 07:08 pm
boomerang wrote:
(NOt reading too much into things is VERY hard for me.)

Gee, I hadn't noticed :wink:

I hope you know how much we all love you here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 07:13 pm
And by the way, this is my favorite of your avatars...
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 07:18 pm
I like it too.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 07:32 pm
Overkill reaction:

Mo's body now recognizes bee venom as alien. The next time Mo encounters bee venom his body may scream "Invader! Invader! Kill! Kill! and pump out antibodies to counteract the alien invader.

This could mean a small swelling at the site of the bite or a large swelling at the site of the bite or an swelling at the site of the bite and on his face and neck with/or without symptoms of shock....

I had several bites as a child--swelling, itch, but no drama. I had a bite in my early twenties that put me in the hospital and damn near stopped my heart.

Frequently beekeepers who have been stung frequently without trouble retire, go a few years without bites and then have overkill reactions.

As for Mo and Meltdown:

Could it be that he's struggling with the idea that if he can't have g-ma and g-pa all the time he doesn't want to see them at all--or at least doesn't want to be confused about what he feels.

Perhaps his anger wasn't for his grandparents but about parting from his grandparents?

Does Mo tend to hang onto to toys, clothes, habits, rituals? Does he dislike partings of all sorts?

You might explain that he has Full Time People who love him very much
and Part Time People who love him very much.

The Full Time People will always be there and the Part Time People will be there sometimes and he can love everybody.

He can even love people when he doesn't see them the same was that people who don't see him love him.

Furthermore for all the people who love him he's the bee's knees and the cat's pajamas and a very fine fellow.

My sons loved hearing long lists of the people who loved them. Possessiveness takes many forms.

I'm glad things are more serene with Mr. B. This morning you learned that even cement can be repaired.

Snippet from a trashy novel: "If it isn't one thing after another, it's two things after each other."
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 09:52 am
Swimpy wrote:
boomerang wrote:
(NOt reading too much into things is VERY hard for me.)

Gee, I hadn't noticed :wink:

An old boyfriend once described me as a mental masochist. He had me pegged.

Over kill reaction -- good to know. Thank you.

I know bee stings can be deadly when someone has an allergy. I will have to keep an eye on such things. We've been considering a visit to a nearby bee farm but maybe I'll just put that off for a bit!

I still haven't really figured out the meltdown.

He only sees the g-parents about once a month for maybe an hour and a half. That's only been going on for the last few months - they disappeared for a full year before that.

The whole thing started because I wouldn't let him play in the garage.

I know Mo has issues (wait, make that a subscription) with family and I'm learning that it is often best to let him have the time to play things out in his own head -- he rarely just drops the subject -- and eventually he'll find a way to clue me in. I am learning patience the hard way.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 09:57 am
Quote:
I know Mo has issues (wait, make that a subscription)

Laughing

Quote:
with family and I'm learning that it is often best to let him have the time to play things out in his own head -- he rarely just drops the subject -- and eventually he'll find a way to clue me in. I am learning patience the hard way.

There ya go.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 10:01 am
Boomer--

From your descriptions I'm getting the idea that the time between stimulus and meltdown is increasing--this is good.

Of course this makes it harder to figure out just what the stimulus was. You are to be congratulated for your dogged pattern seeking.

I'd guess that a bee farm protects its tourists. Honey bees, unlike hornets, yellow jackets and other wasps are not aggressive bees. Unless Mo is likely to go in kicking hives he should be safe.

Besides, touring a bee farm will give you something specific to worry about.

Keep holding.
0 Replies