If Jesus is God, how is he called God's only begotten son?

real life

Sun 22 May, 2005 10:48 pm
neologist wrote:
You assume that because I use the Watchtower publications as a source, that I must stick to some "official" line. I prefer to have my posts judged on reasonableness or lack thereof. I would be loath to interject my own opinions into their well documented research.

My own opinion, therefore, is that Jesus is divine, but subject to God and the holy spirit is God's active force and has no personality.
No, actually I meant "official" because I seem to remember you donning a hat with some authority recently and telling us all to straighten up! So I was actually referring to your views. (Those of the WS are well known.)

However your views do seem to parallel those of the Watchtower with fair regularity.

----------------
If the Holy Spirit is, as you indicate, an impersonal force; then do you simply dismiss all the many scriptures as metaphorical throughout Old and New Testament where the Spirit of God is described as teaching, speaking, being grieved, being angry, etc ( and there are many other examples) . All of these are attributes of a person or personality, not an impersonal force, such as electricity, for instance.

Then there are the scriptures clearly identifying the Holy Spirit as God such as the one I cited which details the sin of Ananias.
---------------------------

---And what of the scriptures clearly identifying Christ as the First and Last, (also the Beginning and End, Alpha and Omega ) a designation clearly referring to God alone in the scriptures?

These references from the Book of the Revelation (Unveiling) of Jesus Christ clearly DO pull back the veil to reveal Christ as God Almighty. For to this present day the same veil remains unlifted at the reading of the old covenant.

---Other scriptures such as Titus 2:13 "while we wait for the happy hope and glorious manifestation of the great God and of [the] Savior of us, Christ Jesus, 14 who gave himself for us " also clearly refer to Christ as God and Savior.

For a study of this in the full context of this epistle, compare 1:3-4, 2:10-13, and 3:4-6. If the apostle does not mean to indicate to us that Christ is both God and Savior, then he has done everything imaginable to fail to make a distinction, doesn't it seem?

The plain and unvarnished reading of these scriptures would certainly lead the reader to the obvious conclusion that the apostle is referring to Christ as both God and Savior, wouldn't it? No doubt you will want to consult Joe S.
0 Replies

Derevon

Mon 23 May, 2005 08:29 am
agrote wrote:
Derevon wrote:
Don't worry agrote, I certainly wasn't referring to you. I have no problem with your posts.

Excellent! So you don't mind me going on about how much I HATE your STUPID religion. Woooooooo!

That was a pretty childish post to be honest. How old are you? Whether you hate religion is not really the point. The thing I have a problem with is all the mindless posts by people who spew their venom here without even motivating their opinions, and posts which are not in the least bit serious, but just pure mockery.
0 Replies

neologist

Mon 23 May, 2005 09:51 am
Derevon wrote:
agrote wrote:
Derevon wrote:
Don't worry agrote, I certainly wasn't referring to you. I have no problem with your posts.

Excellent! So you don't mind me going on about how much I HATE your STUPID religion. Woooooooo!

That was a pretty childish post to be honest. How old are you? Whether you hate religion is not really the point. The thing I have a problem with is all the mindless posts by people who spew their venom here without even motivating their opinions, and posts which are not in the least bit serious, but just pure mockery.

Yeah, agrote. What he said. Sometimes your brain shows signs of life. What must we do? throw water on it?
0 Replies

agrote

Mon 23 May, 2005 03:01 pm
Derevon wrote:
agrote wrote:
Derevon wrote:

Well that post that you've quoted was largely mockery, but not pure mockery. It was also a serious post - I do seriously hate religion, and I do seriously think it is stupid. It's maybe a little rude of me to be so frank with you, and I'm sorry if I have offended you. I don't hate you, I've never met you. But I have certainly come into contact with your religion, so my hatred for your religion is not baseless, whether or not it is misguided.

But now that it's out in the open, I see no reason to deny that I do hate your religion and think it to be stupid - I stand by that, even if it's quite a rude way of putting it. But this is the internet, where people should not expect as much public politeness as they might in the 'real' world, so hopefully you're not too shocked by my rudeness.

My hatred for religion is obviously not an argument against it - it's a personal, emotional reaction I have to religion, which I brought up merely to justify my habit of posting in a lot of threads about religion. It's my personal, emotional objection to religion that makes me want to express my more objective, rational views about religion. Somebody (was it you? I've forgotten...) asked why it is that people who hate religion spend so much time talking about it. Well it is precisely because they hate religion that they want to talk about it so much. I have a personal objection to religion, and that is why I so readily challenge those who follow it.

But I liek to think that I don't just "spew my venom" - that I make rational arguments. Like this one I'm making right now. Woo, look at me go.

I'm 18, incidentally.
0 Replies

SCoates

Mon 23 May, 2005 03:03 pm
real life wrote:
SCoates wrote:
real life wrote:
Christianity is and always will be monotheistic. This is because Christianity IS the teachings of Christ, who taught there is one God.

Christ's teachings are well known to the world. Any teaching that in polytheistic is not Christian ( because it is not according to the teachings Christ gave), even if it attempts to masquerade as Christianity.

You make the mistake of assuming you are informed.

If you were qualified to be the sole interpreter fo Christ's teachings then the facts would be different.

However, at present it is not yours to tell who does and does not believe in Christ or his teachings.

A pity you weren't apprised sooner.
Are you saying that Christ taught polytheism? If this is your contention, where did He teach it and what did He say to lead you to that conclusion?

If you are not saying that Christ taught polytheism, then what is the point you are attempting to make?

Sorry, I wasn't really angry--just bored. But it still came off pretty rude.
0 Replies

neologist

Mon 23 May, 2005 06:29 pm
agrote wrote:
But I liek to think that I don't just "spew my venom" - that I make rational arguments. Like this one I'm making right now. Woo, look at me go. I'm 18, incidentally.

Part of the usefulness of this forum is the training it provides in developing our logical arguments. Derevon and I may have our hands around each other's intellectual throats but we teach each other as we go along. That's why we have appreciated many of your posts when they have been on point. So, what's your point? Why do you hate religion? Is it their meddling in politics or is it your desire for a moral license? Or some other reason? Please articulate. We will listen.
0 Replies

agrote

Wed 25 May, 2005 04:12 am
neologist wrote:
agrote wrote:
But I liek to think that I don't just "spew my venom" - that I make rational arguments. Like this one I'm making right now. Woo, look at me go. I'm 18, incidentally.

Part of the usefulness of this forum is the training it provides in developing our logical arguments. Derevon and I may have our hands around each other's intellectual throats but we teach each other as we go along. That's why we have appreciated many of your posts when they have been on point. So, what's your point? Why do you hate religion? Is it their meddling in politics or is it your desire for a moral license? Or some other reason? Please articulate. We will listen.

Okay. Well I hate a lot of things about religion, I'll try and list a few, and I'll start elaborating and backing them up a bit better if/when people start challenging them. I'm generally thinking about the monotheistic religions while I write this - I don't know all that much about buddhism, hinduism, etc.

Firstly, religion gives people false hope. Billions of people have beliefs that give them a feeling of purpose, that make them feel like they matter and that life does have meaning - but that just aren't true. Whether or not there is/was a God who created the universe, I can't see any reason whatsoever to believe that it loves us. But many many people believe that 'he' does love them, and this gets them high - so religious people stagger around doped up on Godlove their whole lives and don't really achieve much.

Secondly, it is vain to believe that God loves you. It is simply vain to believe that we are somehow 'special,' when there are millions of different species of life on earth, and when the universe is so increadibly huge. Religious people forget that they are just earthlings, and they are just animals. Obviously we are more intelligent than other animals - we have consciousness, and that does make us unique, as far as we know. But consciousness is not a gift from God, it's just a property of brains that are higher up the evolutionary ladder. You are not special, you are just a brain. God is your imaginary friend, and claiming that he loves you is like kissing your own reflection - it's vanity.

Thirdly, belief in God is supersticious. I'm not a fan of superstition - it tends to involve believing in magical forces that do not involve the interaction of particles of matter (which is all that constitutes the universe), but involve spirits and such. There are no spirits. (I am of course just asserting what I believe - I expect people to disagree strongly with this, but I'll deal with that when it coems. I'm just explaining why I hate religion - and it's partly because of these beliefs that I have). We don't need spirituality to explain any phenomena. For example, we do not need souls when we have brains - brains can think, dream, imagine, love, etc., so if we have souls, what the hell do they do? What would we need them for? Superstitious thinking is useful when we want to fill in the gaps in our knowledge as quickly as possible - but it is just guesswork. Thousands of years ago people would have guessed that schizophrenics were peopel possessed by demons. But now that we know that schizophrenia is a biological illness, we should reject that demon hypothesis in favour of what science has discovered. Now that we know about evolution, we should reject creationism, and now that we know more about the brain we can begin to reject the idea of a 'soul.' But religion isn't always that flexible, and it does slow our progress in the search for knowledge.

I'll leave it there for now. It's difficult to come up with reasons to hate religion without someone provoking that hatred - so if anyone wants to object strongly to what I've said so far, please do.
0 Replies

real life

Wed 25 May, 2005 08:55 pm
agrote wrote:
Firstly, religion gives people false hope. Billions of people have beliefs that give them a feeling of purpose, that make them feel like they matter and that life does have meaning - but that just aren't true. Whether or not there is/was a God who created the universe, I can't see any reason whatsoever to believe that it loves us. But many many people believe that 'he' does love them, and this gets them high - so religious people stagger around doped up on Godlove their whole lives and don't really achieve much.

Tell men like George Washington, most of the Framers of the American Constitution, Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King Jr (all strong believers in God) and many others that they accomplished nothing in life. They probably wouldn't agree and neither do most who know of their accomplishments.

Belief in God has moved many over the centuries of human history to give of themselves to serve others , sometimes at the expense of their own life. This is more than a "feeling of purpose" . This was determination , backed by actions, to make the world a better place.

(Don't lecture us on all the failings of religious people. You are stating only the obvious. The basis of Christianity is acknowledgement that one is a sinner , and cannot save yourself. We are all well aware of our failings as you are of yours. We are not waiting to be perfect before we try to do some good.)

agrote wrote:
Secondly, it is vain to believe that God loves you. It is simply vain to believe that we are somehow 'special,' when there are millions of different species of life on earth, and when the universe is so increadibly huge. Religious people forget that they are just earthlings, and they are just animals. Obviously we are more intelligent than other animals - we have consciousness, and that does make us unique, as far as we know. But consciousness is not a gift from God, it's just a property of brains that are higher up the evolutionary ladder. You are not special, you are just a brain. God is your imaginary friend, and claiming that he loves you is like kissing your own reflection - it's vanity.

You admit (sort of ) that Man is far removed from animals in intelligence , accomplishment , etc but somehow you cannot see the contradiction between this and your evolutionary indoctrination that "man is just an animal". Seems like a really glaring problem for your thesis.

Scientists cannot begin to explain how a slightly more developed human grey matter produces speech, music, philosophy, love, sacrificial behavior, etc. They cannot because it does not. Man's consciousness and soul are not a function of nervous tissue.

Does the bigness of the universe make you feel small? Good. Me too. Maybe with it, we will both learn to be a little less cocksure of ourselves.

agrote wrote:
Thirdly, belief in God is supersticious. I'm not a fan of superstition - it tends to involve believing in magical forces that do not involve the interaction of particles of matter (which is all that constitutes the universe), but involve spirits and such. There are no spirits. (I am of course just asserting what I believe - I expect people to disagree strongly with this, but I'll deal with that when it coems. I'm just explaining why I hate religion - and it's partly because of these beliefs that I have). We don't need spirituality to explain any phenomena. For example, we do not need souls when we have brains - brains can think, dream, imagine, love, etc., so if we have souls, what the hell do they do? What would we need them for? Superstitious thinking is useful when we want to fill in the gaps in our knowledge as quickly as possible - but it is just guesswork. Thousands of years ago people would have guessed that schizophrenics were peopel possessed by demons. But now that we know that schizophrenia is a biological illness, we should reject that demon hypothesis in favour of what science has discovered. Now that we know about evolution, we should reject creationism, and now that we know more about the brain we can begin to reject the idea of a 'soul.' But religion isn't always that flexible, and it does slow our progress in the search for knowledge.

I'll leave it there for now. It's difficult to come up with reasons to hate religion without someone provoking that hatred - so if anyone wants to object strongly to what I've said so far, please do.

Your third objection is really only a restatement of the second , with a perjorative "It's superstitious." If you cannot accept that there are some things that are real even though you cannot see them or understand them, then your world is going to be very limited. Where would our knowledge of atomic particles, or electricity, or living cells and their constituent parts be if scientists in the past had said, "Nope can't see 'em. Must not be real."

Most likely your professed distaste for religion has much to do with your encounters with folks who were religious and your dislike for them. You saw their hypocrisy, their failings, etc.

Yep, I told you they were sinners, didn't I? Probably their experience with you was not much better. So how does that make you a better person than they?
0 Replies

neologist

Thu 26 May, 2005 09:43 am
real life wrote:
--------------------------
If the Holy Spirit is, as you indicate, an impersonal force; then do you simply dismiss all the many scriptures as metaphorical throughout Old and New Testament where the Spirit of God is described as teaching, speaking, being grieved, being angry, etc ( and there are many other examples) . All of these are attributes of a person or personality, not an impersonal force, such as electricity, for instance.

Then there are the scriptures clearly identifying the Holy Spirit as God such as the one I cited which details the sin of Ananias.
---------------------------
real life wrote:
---And what of the scriptures clearly identifying Christ as the First and Last, (also the Beginning and End, Alpha and Omega ) a designation clearly referring to God alone in the scriptures?

These references from the Book of the Revelation (Unveiling) of Jesus Christ clearly DO pull back the veil to reveal Christ as God Almighty. For to this present day the same veil remains unlifted at the reading of the old covenant.
Now we are getting to an area where translators disagree. If Jesus truly deserved the designation Alpha and Omega, it would correspond with the remainder of the bible. The whole meaning of Jesus' sacrifice is cheapened by equating him with God. If they are of singular will, we would still have to answer Satan's challenge that he could turn any of God's creations against him.
real life wrote:
---Other scriptures such as Titus 2:13 "while we wait for the happy hope and glorious manifestation of the great God and of [the] Savior of us, Christ Jesus, 14 who gave himself for us " also clearly refer to Christ as God and Savior.

For a study of this in the full context of this epistle, compare 1:3-4, 2:10-13, and 3:4-6. If the apostle does not mean to indicate to us that Christ is both God and Savior, then he has done everything imaginable to fail to make a distinction, doesn't it seem?

The plain and unvarnished reading of these scriptures would certainly lead the reader to the obvious conclusion that the apostle is referring to Christ as both God and Savior, wouldn't it? No doubt you will want to consult Joe S.
Truly, Jesus is a god and is our savior.

NOTE: This post has been reviewed and approved by Joe Sixpack.
0 Replies

real life

Thu 26 May, 2005 02:31 pm
neologist wrote:
Now we are getting to an area where translators disagree. If Jesus truly deserved the designation Alpha and Omega, it would correspond with the remainder of the bible.
0 Replies

SN95

Fri 27 May, 2005 02:36 am
real life wrote:
Tell men like George Washington, most of the Framers of the American Constitution, Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King Jr (all strong believers in God) and many others that they accomplished nothing in life. They probably wouldn't agree and neither do most who know of their accomplishments.

"At the time of its Founding, the United States seemed to be an infertile
ground for religion. Many of the nation's leaders - include George
Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Benjamin Franklin - were not Christians,
did not accept the authority of the Bible, and were hostile to organized
religion. The attitude of the general public was one of apathy: in 1776,
only 5 percent of the population were participating members of churches."
[Ian Robertson, _Sociology_, 3rd editions, Worth
Publishing Inc.: New York, 1987, page 410]
0 Replies

neologist

Fri 27 May, 2005 07:46 am
agrote wrote:
There's a lot of stuff here, so I hope you don't mind if I go slow:

I know you will ask me to prove this: Rest assured that I can, using the bible.

It's not God's fault that we have war and crime and sickness and death. And it's not God's fault that the entire world is in ignorance. The whole bible tells of the effects of Satan's rebellion and his consequent rulership of the earth.

But you don't have to read the entire bible to get an idea of what happened. Just read the third chapter of Genesis and you will learn the several lies Satan used to influence Eve. Let's take just one: Satan intimated that God was holding back something valuable from Adam and Eve, the knowledge of good and bad. In other words: God didn't have man's best interests in mind.

Now God had the power to zap everyone into smithereens right then and there, but he didn't. If he had, that would not have settled the issue raised and it would have wiped out the possibility for you and me to have been born.

Later in the chapter, God set forth the remedy for man's salvation - namely, the seed which would bruise Satan in the head.

The remainder of the bible explains the outworking of God's purpose all the way through the birth and execution of Jesus and Jesus' eventual return to the earth to bruise Satan's head and remove the sentence of death from mankind.

Meantimes, Satan is referred to as the 'ruler of this world'. That is, he has been given ample time to prove his accusations.

Once again I say all this is not God's fault. The answers are easily available to the plainest among us. You will have to expend some effort, however; but there will be rewards along the way.
0 Replies

real life

Fri 27 May, 2005 09:13 am
SN95 wrote:
real life wrote:

Why don't you try to quote from some of the writings of Washington, Franklin and Jefferson to prove that they did not believe in God, instead of an uninformed source such as you have used?

Go to the subjects themselves and hear what they have to say, then come back and tell me they did not believe in God.

And while you are at it, read the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, the Federalist papers and then tell me they didn't believe in God.

Read their letters to their wives and children and to their associates and then tell me they were not believers in God.

Did they have differing views on God. Most certainly. Just as most who believe in God today all have a slightly different understanding one from another. Why? Because God is a vast, Infinite Being and those of us with finite understanding do not understand all there is. Far from it.

But any serious historical study will bring you evidence that the Framers of the Constitution almost all were strong believers in God. Were there any exceptions? Possibly a few. But nearly all were believers.
0 Replies

SN95

Fri 27 May, 2005 11:24 am
real life wrote:
SN95 wrote:
real life wrote:

Why don't you try to quote from some of the writings of Washington, Franklin and Jefferson to prove that they did not believe in God, instead of an uninformed source such as you have used?

Go to the subjects themselves and hear what they have to say, then come back and tell me they did not believe in God.

And while you are at it, read the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, the Federalist papers and then tell me they didn't believe in God.

Read their letters to their wives and children and to their associates and then tell me they were not believers in God.

Did they have differing views on God. Most certainly. Just as most who believe in God today all have a slightly different understanding one from another. Why? Because God is a vast, Infinite Being and those of us with finite understanding do not understand all there is. Far from it.

But any serious historical study will bring you evidence that the Framers of the Constitution almost all were strong believers in God. Were there any exceptions? Possibly a few. But nearly all were believers.

Uninformed source? Haha. At least I have listed a source whereas you seem to just spout at the mouth your absurdities with nothing to back it up. However, as requested here are the very words from the men whom I have quoted:

The clergy converted the simple teachings of Jesus into an engine for enslaving mankind ... to filch wealth and power to themselves. [They], in fact, constitute the real Anti-Christ.
Thomas Jefferson

The Christian god can easily be pictured as virtually the same god as the many ancient gods of past civilizations. The Christian god is a three headed monster; cruel, vengeful and capricious. If one wishes to know more of this raging, three headed beast-like god, one only needs to look at the caliber of people who say they serve him. They are always of two classes; fools and hypocrites. To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson

For here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate error so long as reason is free to combat it.
Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no God.
Thomas Jefferson

Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson

Let us with caution indulge the supposition, that morality can be maintained without religions.
George Washington

Of all the animosities which have existed among mankind, those which are caused by difference of sentiments in religion appear to be the most inveterate and distressing, and ought most to be deprecated. I was in hopes that the enlightened and liberal policy, which has marked the present age, would at least have reconciled Christians of every denomination so far that we should never again see the religious disputes carried to such a pitch as to endanger the peace of society.
George Washington, letter to Edward Newenham, October 20, 1792; from George Seldes, ed., The Great Quotations, Secaucus, New Jersey: Citadel Press, 1983, p. 726]

There is nothing which can better deserve our patronage than the promotion of science and literature. Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness.
George Washington, address to Congress, 8 January, 1790

Religious controversies are always productive of more acrimony and irreconcilable hatreds than those which spring from any other cause.
George Washington, letter to Sir Edward Newenham, June 22, 1792

...the path of true piety is so plain as to require but little political direction.
George Washington, 1789, responding to clergy complaints that the Constitution lacked mention of Jesus Christ, from The Godless Constitution: The Case Against Religious Correctness, Isacc Kramnick and R. Laurence Moore W.W. Norton and Company 101-102

If they are good workmen, they may be from Asia, Africa or Europe; they may be Mahometans, Jews, Christians of any sect, or they may be Atheists....
George Washington, to Tench Tighman, March 24, 1784, when asked what type of workman to get for Mount Vernon, from The Washington papers edited by Saul Padover

To give opinions unsupported by reasons might appear dogmatical.
George Washington, to Alexander Spotswood, November 22, 1798, from The Washington papers edited by Saul Padover

...I beg you be persuaded that no one would be more zealous than myself to establish effectual barriers against the horrors of spiritual tyranny, and every species of religious persecution. George Washington, to United Baptists Churches of Virginia, May, 1789 from The Washington papers edited by Saul Padover

As the contempt of the religion of a country by ridiculing any of its ceremonies, or affronting its ministers or votaries, has ever been deeply resented, you are to be particularly careful to restrain every officer from such imprudence and folly, and to punish every instance of it. On the other hand, as far as lies in your power, you are to protect and support the free exercise of religion of the country, and the undisturbed enjoyment of the rights of conscience in religious matters, with your utmost influence and authority.
George Washington, to Benedict Arnold, September 14, 1775 from The Washington papers edited by Saul Padover
0 Replies

SN95

Fri 27 May, 2005 11:42 am
Please understand that it is not my contention that the founding fathers were atheists or void of religion. Simply that they detested organized religion and projected an attitude of indifference when asked of their religious beliefs. Knowledge and wisdom were their true dogmas.
0 Replies

real life

Fri 27 May, 2005 02:10 pm
SN95 wrote:
Please understand that it is not my contention that the founding fathers were atheists or void of religion.
Perhaps my point was not clarified. My post was in response to the previous post, which contended that believers in God wander aimlessly through life accomplishing little.

Since my sole point was that those men,the Framers of our country who accomplished much, WERE for the most part believers in God (regardless of their attitude toward a particular form of clergy, or denominations, or organized bodies of churches, etc ), are we then in agreement that they were?
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Fri 27 May, 2005 02:34 pm
SN95 wrote:
The clergy converted the simple teachings of Jesus into an engine for enslaving mankind ... to filch wealth and power to themselves. [They], in fact, constitute the real Anti-Christ.
Thomas Jefferson

The Christian god can easily be pictured as virtually the same god as the many ancient gods of past civilizations. The Christian god is a three headed monster; cruel, vengeful and capricious. If one wishes to know more of this raging, three headed beast-like god, one only needs to look at the caliber of people who say they serve him. They are always of two classes; fools and hypocrites. To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson

For here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate error so long as reason is free to combat it.
Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no God.
Thomas Jefferson

Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson

Let us with caution indulge the supposition, that morality can be maintained without religions.
George Washington

Of all the animosities which have existed among mankind, those which are caused by difference of sentiments in religion appear to be the most inveterate and distressing, and ought most to be deprecated. I was in hopes that the enlightened and liberal policy, which has marked the present age, would at least have reconciled Christians of every denomination so far that we should never again see the religious disputes carried to such a pitch as to endanger the peace of society.
George Washington, letter to Edward Newenham, October 20, 1792; from George Seldes, ed., The Great Quotations, Secaucus, New Jersey: Citadel Press, 1983, p. 726]

There is nothing which can better deserve our patronage than the promotion of science and literature. Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness.
George Washington, address to Congress, 8 January, 1790

Religious controversies are always productive of more acrimony and irreconcilable hatreds than those which spring from any other cause.
George Washington, letter to Sir Edward Newenham, June 22, 1792

...the path of true piety is so plain as to require but little political direction.
George Washington, 1789, responding to clergy complaints that the Constitution lacked mention of Jesus Christ, from The Godless Constitution: The Case Against Religious Correctness, Isacc Kramnick and R. Laurence Moore W.W. Norton and Company 101-102

If they are good workmen, they may be from Asia, Africa or Europe; they may be Mahometans, Jews, Christians of any sect, or they may be Atheists....
George Washington, to Tench Tighman, March 24, 1784, when asked what type of workman to get for Mount Vernon, from The Washington papers edited by Saul Padover

To give opinions unsupported by reasons might appear dogmatical.
George Washington, to Alexander Spotswood, November 22, 1798, from The Washington papers edited by Saul Padover

...I beg you be persuaded that no one would be more zealous than myself to establish effectual barriers against the horrors of spiritual tyranny, and every species of religious persecution. George Washington, to United Baptists Churches of Virginia, May, 1789 from The Washington papers edited by Saul Padover

As the contempt of the religion of a country by ridiculing any of its ceremonies, or affronting its ministers or votaries, has ever been deeply resented, you are to be particularly careful to restrain every officer from such imprudence and folly, and to punish every instance of it. On the other hand, as far as lies in your power, you are to protect and support the free exercise of religion of the country, and the undisturbed enjoyment of the rights of conscience in religious matters, with your utmost influence and authority.
George Washington, to Benedict Arnold, September 14, 1775 from The Washington papers edited by Saul Padover

Differing views on God is what makes America great.

57 varieties cannot be statistically wrong,
so with mighty rightness we may now proselytize and euthanize
the rest of the unknown world.

The fountain of Euth is America.
0 Replies

real life

Fri 27 May, 2005 06:52 pm
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Fri 27 May, 2005 08:56 pm
Thomas Jefferson did believe in a God. He was a deist, like many during the Enlightenment, and NOT A CHRISTIAN. Deism entails that a god/creator created the universe and will make judgement at the end. However it denies that this god mettles in the affairs of men or the universe in between the creation and judgement. So in essence he is against Christianity by not believing in Christ. He still believed in a god or Creator as he calls him in the quote. He would not be referring to the Christian god.

Quote:
Franklin's request for a clergyman to lead the Congress in prayer and Jefferson's expression of his respect for the Danbury clergymen as well as their plain unvarnished statements about the existence and reality of their belief in God and His active part in the world hardly seem to coincide with the popular sentiment nowadays that these men were hostile toward religion and churches in general or even of Deism, does it?

Jefferson statements refers to the existance of a[/] god not necessarily God.
Those quotes indeed did not show that sentiment but I believe SN95 posted far more conclusive quotes than you have on the matter
0 Replies

SN95

Fri 27 May, 2005 09:35 pm
real life wrote:
SN95 wrote:
Please understand that it is not my contention that the founding fathers were atheists or void of religion.
Perhaps my point was not clarified. My post was in response to the previous post, which contended that believers in God wander aimlessly through life accomplishing little.

Since my sole point was that those men,the Framers of our country who accomplished much, WERE for the most part believers in God (regardless of their attitude toward a particular form of clergy, or denominations, or organized bodies of churches, etc ), are we then in agreement that they were?

Yes, we would then be in agreement that there was a belief in a supreme being, God if you will. The amount of emphasis and the influence of this God on their works is perhaps where we differ in opinion. I apologize for jumping in on a response directed at another person. I may have taken your single statement out of context.
0 Replies