If Jesus is God, how is he called God's only begotten son?

SCoates

Thu 19 May, 2005 07:09 pm
AliceInWonderland wrote:

It's important because Christianity is a monotheistic belief, not polytheistic.

False. Catholicism may be monotheistic (may depend who you ask), or other forms of Christianity may be monotheistic.

But Christianity per se is not.
0 Replies

real life

Thu 19 May, 2005 09:19 pm
Christianity is and always will be monotheistic. This is because Christianity IS the teachings of Christ, who taught there is one God.

Christ's teachings are well known to the world. Any teaching that in polytheistic is not Christian ( because it is not according to the teachings Christ gave), even if it attempts to masquerade as Christianity.
0 Replies

agrote

Fri 20 May, 2005 12:41 am
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Resisting the temptation (the very great temptation) to riff off "meaningful contributions," i would simply note that i, for one, am only here for the entertainment value. I would not for a moment suggest that people not quote scripture, especially as it would help to spoil my fun.
Always is fascinating how folks who claim that they do not believe cannot seem to stay away from a forum where faith is the main topic. You couldn't chase 'em away if you had to. Their post counts are huge. Check it out.

Well some of us really do HATE religion that much.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 20 May, 2005 09:11 am
My "post count" is high, because i post in most of the fora . . . however, someone whose head is buried in the religious sand probably doesn't come up for air long enough to notice that Religion & Spirituality is only one of many fora here, and its threads represent a very small portion of the total here.

And yes, i frequently come to religious threads--the entertainment value is high . . .
0 Replies

neologist

Fri 20 May, 2005 09:27 am
I think you will find Setanta posts in many threads and does his homework well, almost as well as I. Laughing
0 Replies

real life

Fri 20 May, 2005 11:07 am
neologist wrote:
I think you will find Setanta posts in many threads
I don't doubt it. My point was that it is fascinating how often self professed "haters of religion" as one described himself or folks who claim religious discussion is simply "entertainment" for them , really seem to be unable to tear themselves away despite their professed loathing or claimed disbelief.

Don't you think so? For instance, there are many activities on TV , etc that I could tell you that I either hate or find absurdly ridiculous. How much of my time do I take observing them? Zero.

Methinks they protesteth too much
0 Replies

neologist

Fri 20 May, 2005 11:13 am
I hope Setanta may be a searcher. I don't feel qualified to be his tutor, however. Perhaps I may plant a seed. . .
0 Replies

real life

Fri 20 May, 2005 11:32 am
neologist wrote:
I hope Setanta may be a searcher. I don't feel qualified to be his tutor, however. Perhaps I may plant a seed. . .
Good to hear from you, Neologist.

So tell me, what is the "official" response to the scriptures I have cited regarding the Deity of Christ and of the Holy Spirit?
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 20 May, 2005 11:38 am
I am indeed a searcher after bizarre entertainment . . . and the Religion & Spirituality forum never fails to deliver . . . why, i've just recently had an excellent discussion of dogs as companions in a relgious thread . . . I lost all of my religious sentiment when i read in Revelations that dogs are not allowed in Heaven . . . no dogs, no Setanta . . .
0 Replies

Derevon

Fri 20 May, 2005 11:38 am
real life wrote:
neologist wrote:
I don't doubt it. My point was that it is fascinating how often self professed "haters of religion" as one described himself or folks who claim religious discussion is simply "entertainment" for them , really seem to be unable to tear themselves away despite their professed loathing or claimed disbelief.

Don't you think so? For instance, there are many activities on TV , etc that I could tell you that I either hate or find absurdly ridiculous. How much of my time do I take observing them? Zero.

There are a few people in these forums who really burn with fiery hatred towards religion, God and everything that is holy. Their hatred is totally irrational. I mean, why hate someone you don't even believe exists? One of them even got furious at me once for capitalizing the word 'faith' for emphasis. In my opinion, it's simply not worth it to answer childish remarks as the one above. If they have anything relevant to say, then perhaps...
0 Replies

neologist

Fri 20 May, 2005 11:40 am
So, there you are. I was just leaving. But what if I were to tell you you were meant to live forever on earth, enjoying doggies, and cats and rats and elephants?
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 20 May, 2005 11:41 am
Well, i'd not believe you for a moment, but i would certainly stenuously object to being made to keep company with mere felines . . .
0 Replies

neologist

Fri 20 May, 2005 11:42 am
Derevon wrote:
real life wrote:
neologist wrote:

There are a few people in these forums who really burn with fiery hatred towards religion, God and everything that is holy. Their hatred is totally irrational. I mean, why hate someone you don't even believe exists? One of them even got furious at me once for capitalizing the word 'faith' for emphasis. In my opinion, it's simply not worth it to answer childish remarks as the one above. If they have anything relevant to say, then perhaps...
SHEESH!
0 Replies

neologist

Fri 20 May, 2005 11:44 am
Setanta wrote:
Well, i'd not believe you for a moment, but i would certainly stenuously object to being made to keep company with mere felines . . .
This is more fun than a barrel of felines. (Who are best in soup, I might add). But if I don't sign off now, my wife will say mean things to me. MEOWWW!
0 Replies

SCoates

Fri 20 May, 2005 12:47 pm
real life wrote:
Christianity is and always will be monotheistic. This is because Christianity IS the teachings of Christ, who taught there is one God.

Christ's teachings are well known to the world. Any teaching that in polytheistic is not Christian ( because it is not according to the teachings Christ gave), even if it attempts to masquerade as Christianity.

You make the mistake of assuming you are informed.

If you were qualified to be the sole interpreter fo Christ's teachings then the facts would be different.

However, at present it it not yours to tell who does and does not believe in Christ or his teachings.

A pity you weren't apprised sooner.
0 Replies

real life

Fri 20 May, 2005 12:53 pm
SCoates wrote:
real life wrote:

You make the mistake of assuming you are informed.

If you were qualified to be the sole interpreter fo Christ's teachings then the facts would be different.

However, at present it it not yours to tell who does and does not believe in Christ or his teachings.

A pity you weren't apprised sooner.
Are you saying that Christ taught polytheism? If this is your contention, where did He teach it and what did He say to lead you to that conclusion?

If you are not saying that Christ taught polytheism, then what is the point you are attempting to make?
0 Replies

agrote

Sat 21 May, 2005 03:14 pm
Derevon wrote:
There are a few people in these forums who really burn with fiery hatred towards religion, God and everything that is holy. Their hatred is totally irrational. I mean, why hate someone you don't even believe exists?

I don't hate God, I hate religion. Nothing irrational about that.

And there's nothing unusual about the fact that I spend a lot of time talking about religion - it's of great interest to me. You wouldn't ask an anti-war protester why he spends so much time talking about war if he hates it so much.
0 Replies

Derevon

Sat 21 May, 2005 04:29 pm
Don't worry agrote, I certainly wasn't referring to you. I have no problem with your posts.
0 Replies

agrote

Sun 22 May, 2005 05:24 pm
Derevon wrote:
Don't worry agrote, I certainly wasn't referring to you. I have no problem with your posts.

Excellent! So you don't mind me going on about how much I HATE your STUPID religion. Woooooooo!
0 Replies

neologist

Sun 22 May, 2005 07:27 pm
real life wrote:
neologist wrote:
Good to hear from you, Neologist.

So tell me, what is the "official" response to the scriptures I have cited regarding the Deity of Christ and of the Holy Spirit?
You assume that because I use the Watchtower publications as a source, that I must stick to some "official" line. I prefer to have my posts judged on reasonableness or lack thereof. I would be loath to interject my own opinions into their well documented research.

My own opinion, therefore, is that Jesus is divine, but subject to God and the holy spirit is God's active force and has no personality. (True, it has been said I also lack personality; but that is only the opinion of my fellow students in High school.)

agrote wrote:
Excellent! So you don't mind me going on about how much I HATE your STUPID religion. Woooooooo!
I too have no problem with your posts when you actually say something.
0 Replies