If Jesus is God, how is he called God's only begotten son?

neologist

Tue 2 Apr, 2013 08:54 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
I don't think there's any place in the Bible where Jesus says anything like "I am the son of God".
First thing I found was Jesus' prayer at John 17:1-5: "Jesus spoke these things, and, raising his eyes to heaven, he said: “Father, the hour has come; glorify your son, that your son may glorify you, 2 according as you have given him authority over all flesh, that, as regards the whole [number] whom you have given him, he may give them everlasting life. 3 This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ. 4 I have glorified you on the earth, having finished the work you have given me to do. 5 So now you, Father, glorify me alongside yourself with the glory that I had alongside you before the world was."

There are likely some better ones.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Wed 12 Feb, 2014 05:56 pm
mark
neologist

Thu 13 Feb, 2014 01:09 am
@InfraBlue,
Yeah, Mark does have something to say on the matter, quoting Jesus in Mark 13:32, “
Quote:
Of that day or that hour no ones knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.
If father and son were an identity, that would not make sense.
farmerman

Thu 13 Feb, 2014 03:01 am
@neologist,
How bout the blessed pigeon?
McTag

Thu 13 Feb, 2014 03:25 am
@gungasnake,

Quote:
I don't think there's any place in the Bible where Jesus says anything like "I am the son of God".

Describing heaven, "In my father's house, there are many mansions..."
0 Replies

neologist

Thu 13 Feb, 2014 11:58 am
@farmerman,
It's virgin . . .
Blessed virgin . . .
Wink
farmerman

Thu 13 Feb, 2014 03:01 pm
@neologist,
Oh then its the High exalted pigeon?
neologist

Thu 13 Feb, 2014 05:21 pm
@farmerman,
That's the Fraternal Order of Pigeons known as FOP.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Fri 14 Feb, 2014 12:00 am
Neo, do you know of any Bibles other than the New World Translation, 2013 Revision that translate John 1:1 as "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god" instead of the more universal translation of "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God"?

I see that the New World Translation, 1984 Revision varies further as "In the beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god."
neologist

Fri 14 Feb, 2014 12:17 am
@InfraBlue,
Cut and paste: I'm not that smart.
Quote:
1808 “and the word was a god” The New Testament, in An
Improved Version, Upon the
Basis of Archbishop Newcome’s
New Translation: With a
Corrected Text, London.
1864 “and a god was the Word” The Emphatic Diaglott (J21,
interlinear reading), by
Benjamin Wilson, New York and
London.
1935 “and the Word was divine” The Bible—An American
Translation, by J. M. P.
Smith and E. J. Goodspeed,
Chicago.
1950 “and the Word was a god” New World Translation of the
Christian Greek Scriptures,
Brooklyn.
1975 “and a god (or, of a divine Das Evangelium nach
kind) was the Word” Johannes, by Siegfried
Schulz,Göttingen, Germany.
1978 “and godlike sort was Das Evangelium nach
the Logos” Johannes,by Johannes
Schneider,Berlin.
1979 “and a god was the Logos” Das Evangelium nach
Johannes,by Jürgen Becker,
Würzburg, Germany.
These translations use such words as “a god,” “divine” or “godlike” because the Greek word θεός (the·os′) is a singular predicate noun occurring before the verb and is not preceded by the definite article. This is an anarthrous the·os′. The God with whom the Word, or Logos, was originally is designated here by the Greek expression ὁ θεός, that is, the·os′ preceded by the definite article ho. This is an articular the·os′. Careful translators recognize that the articular construction of the noun points to an identity, a personality, whereas a singular anarthrous predicate noun preceding the verb points to a quality about someone. Therefore, John’s statement that the Word or Logos was “a god” or “divine” or “godlike” does not mean that he was the God with whom he was. It merely expresses a certain quality about the Word, or Logos, but it does not identify him as one and the same as God himself.

anonymously99

Fri 14 Feb, 2014 01:31 am
@neologist,
Quote:
I'm not that smart.

Caught you!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Fri 14 Feb, 2014 05:29 pm
@neologist,
So, where'd you get that gloss?
farmerman

Fri 14 Feb, 2014 07:21 pm
@InfraBlue,
The Big Guy, Jesus, and the blessed pigeon are like the branches of Congress. They are separate entities with one collective name. I know that Witnesses deny the trinity but that's ok since I deny just about everything in the Judeo/Christian stories. Its all just the product of several thousand creative minds through time. I believe the Trinity concept is barely pre- Nicene Council (around 380AD). Clever "mystery".
0 Replies

anonymously99

Fri 14 Feb, 2014 07:23 pm
@InfraBlue,
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 22 Mar, 2014 01:49 pm
When god spoke to the writers of the bible, he got confused from all the contradictions he quoted. Mary provided the virgin birth who was impregnated by god to give birth to himself/herself/itself.

Logic anyone?
neologist

Sun 23 Mar, 2014 05:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Logic anyone?
Logic may be applied to things that are correctly stated.

When you rely on the opinions of others instead of searching yourself, you get confusion.
edgarblythe

Sun 23 Mar, 2014 05:49 pm
It's all horse ****. There would have to be a Jesus, first, and then there would have to be a god. You're batting zero on both counts.
InfraBlue

Sun 23 Mar, 2014 09:41 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:
Logic anyone?
Logic may be applied to things that are correctly stated.

When you rely on the opinions of others instead of searching yourself, you get confusion.

Since most of us aren't versed in the original languages of the bible, we, this includes you as evidenced by your gloss above, rely on the opinions of others. If the authorities' opinions are confused, what does that tell you about the texts they're translating?
anonymously99

Sun 23 Mar, 2014 11:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
It's all horse ****. There would have to be a Jesus, first, and then there would have to be a god. You're batting zero on both counts.

I kind of want to think god is an alien. Because of his miraculous abilities. And there's really no choice but to believe Jesus is God's son because of how loving Jesus is and (his) miraculous abilities. Loving for he having willingly died for everyone's sins. His love is so beautiful. Obviously god is not a selfish god because he created man like him then woman from man. And wanted us to reproduce.
0 Replies

anonymously99

Sun 23 Mar, 2014 11:54 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
Logic may be applied to things that are correctly stated. When you rely on the opinions of others instead of searching yourself, you get confusion.

When you rely on opinions of others instead of you doing the work of discovering yourself, you are considered ignorant. How do you expect to know the truth when you refuse to discover the truth yourself.
0 Replies