Who would you erase from human history?

tamnurse

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 11:17 am
Hitler
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 06:42 am
overspool wrote:
newton, so that maybe I would have had the chance to watch apples fall from trees and put two and two together

Unfortunately, erasing Newton would have a huge impact on science itself. I can't remember what it was, but it was discussed in last week's issue of New Scientist. Erasing him, I think would have gotten rid of an entire school of thought, changing the very face of science as we know it.

I'd have gotten rid of McCarthy or maybe Lenin. Without these two, I think the American political scene wouldn't be so skewed towards the right.
0 Replies

rewrite

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 10:45 am
Heinrich Himmler the architect of the "Final Solution."
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 05:14 am
I have not read all the responses to this, just the front page and the last page, so it's possible that someone has already said something to this effect. If so, my apologies.

I would not eliminate one single person, not even the worst examples of blood-thirsty humankind. We can have absolutely no idea how the death, or non-existence, of any one person might affect and alter the future. What would it mean to have eliminated Abraham, as Auntie Bee has suggested? That there are no Jews and no Arabs today? Was that the point? It doesn't hold up. A nascent monotheism was abirthing among the Hebrew people at the time of Abraham and would have come to fruition with or without the patriarch. But, now...we don't really know how Abraham's being affected other aspects of Near Eastern society. A good science fiction writer could create a 21st Century where human sacrifice is still routinely practiced among certain religious sects because Abraham never spared the life of Isaac. (And that's just one minor guess.)

Eliminate Hitler and a few other Nazi zealots, e.g. Heinrich Himmler? Well, let's look at what was happening at the time Hitler came to power in Germany. The economy of the country was in total shambles. Stalinist Russia (pardon me, the USSR) was flexing its muscle and the purge trials of dissidents were in full swing. Without World War II intervening, could we not postulate a scenario where today all of Europe, from the English Channel to the Ural Mountains, is part of a mighty Societ Union and the USA is a second-rate power? This is not excuse the horrors of Hitler's Naziism, but to point out how eliminating one evil can help another evil come to fruition.

Don't eliminate anybody unless you're willing to live in a parallel universe the makeup of which you can't possibly know.

George Bush? Hell, if he wasn't born, his brother Jeb would probably be president today. Chew on that.
0 Replies

rewrite

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 02:29 pm
Man I hope Jeb Bush does run Mary Very Happy
But you stray from the subject Question
The worst genocides of the 20th Century
Jozef Stalin (USSR, 1934-39) 13,000,000 (the purges)
Adolf Hitler (Germany, 1939-1945) 12,000,000 (concentration camps and civilians WWII)
Mao Tze Dong (China, 1966-69) 11,000,000 (cultural revolution)
Hideki Tojo (Japan, 1941-44) 5,000,000 (civilians WWII)
Pol Pot (Cambodia, 1975-79) 1,700,000
Kim Il Sung (North Korea, 1948-94) 1.6 million (purges and concentration camps)
Menghitsu (Ethiopia, 1975-78) 1,500,000
Ismail Enver (Turkey, 1915)
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 04:40 pm
All true, rewrite. But the point isn't whether these cretins were certifyable sons-of-bitches. Of course they were. The point is whether their elimination from the pages of history would ensure that the world today would be a better place. (No question that it would have made their own epochs better.) What I'm saying is that any elimination of any historical person (including the janitor in the school you attended) would have unforseen circumstances in any future world.

[btw, my name is Andrew, not Mary. "Merry" is an adjective.]
0 Replies

NoNe

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 10:18 am
Iuda;
Hittler;
Lenin;
Stalin;
Bush(both of those bastards)
Ariel Sharon;
Mohammad ibn abd Wahhab(the beginner of wahhabism, damn him God 100 times)
Some of the Saudi and Arab Kings;
Osama bin Ladeen. Confused
yeah, I would add to this List Kim Chin Er Twisted Evil
0 Replies

rewrite

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:26 pm
NoNe
Bush ?????
What about Kennedy (all of them) Johnson, Carter,Clinton. Lets add them to the list
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:44 pm
the hijackers of 911 and osama. of course, some other terrorist(s) would simply take their place...

al zaquari (or however you spell it-leader of al qaeda in iraq)
0 Replies

rewrite

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 02:00 pm
blame blame blame
Network anchors grilled officials, as if recovery efforts should have been coordinated with them. Some reporters annointed themselves judge and jury, abandoning journalism to declare the entire rescue effort a failure. Global warming wackos blamed Bush environmental policies -- others denounced tax cuts, oil companies and the war in Iraq. One idiot "rapper declared on NBC: "George Bush doesn't care about black people," and said America is set up "to help the poor, the black people, the less well-off as slow as possible." Rather than condemn such stupid remarks... several elected officials agreed. Howard Dean attacked the President's visit to the stricken area as "callous." AFL-CIO head John Sweeny accused President Bush of being "hostile to workers." Well if that isn't out of a thirty-year-old playbook.

All of this small-minded criticism missed the incredible work done on a massive scale to save lives. The work of rebuilding is just beginning. I can promise you: those who foment racial division and political blame will not remain unanswered. You can count on that. Oh, and one other thing. None of these people that are complaining will you see in New Orleans on the rescue or rebuilding effort. You'll only see them on television.
0 Replies

NoNe

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 01:04 pm
rewrite wrote:
NoNe
Bush ?????
What about Kennedy (all of them) Johnson, Carter,Clinton. Lets add them to the list

Yeah, Bush.
Jorj Got Damnd Bush!
0 Replies

rewrite

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 01:51 pm
NoNe wrote:
rewrite wrote:
NoNe
Bush ?????

Yeah, Bush.
Jorj Got Damnd Bush![
He is here to stay get over it
0 Replies

NoNe

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 02:06 pm
rewrite wrote:
NoNe wrote:
rewrite wrote:
NoNe
Bush ?????

Yeah, Bush.
Jorj Got Damnd Bush![
what's ur problem? Everybody is answering the question, from his/her own perspective. I am answering for myself, what's ur problem?
Should I start attacking every single person who put down here the person who I think SHOULD'VE STAYED?
Back off, U r really annoying.
0 Replies

rewrite

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 02:29 pm
NoNe wrote:
rewrite wrote:
NoNe wrote:
rewrite wrote:
NoNe
Bush ?????

Yeah, Bush.
Jorj Got Damnd Bush![
what's ur problem? Everybody is answering the question, from his/her own perspective. I am answering for myself, what's ur problem?
Should I start attacking every single person who put down here the person who I think SHOULD'VE STAYED?
Back off, U r really annoying.

annoying? actually I am being very nice :wink:
And should I sit here and let you attack Bush, I don't think so Exclamation
You are a typical liberal Bush basher, and I will answer bash for bash Laughing
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 02:58 pm
See? That's my point. Eliminate Bush and who would we Bushwhackers whack? It's important to have people like that around. For the right wing, if you eliminate Clinton or Ted Kennedy, who you gonna blame for Huricane Katrina?
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 03:09 pm
rewrite wrote:
One idiot "rapper declared on NBC: "George Bush doesn't care about black people," and said America is set up "to help the poor, the black people, the less well-off as slow as possible."

i wonder if said rapper was spending his spare time pulling people off the rooftops in NO. or donating his millions to the victims...
0 Replies

NoNe

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 03:10 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
See? That's my point. Eliminate Bush and who would we Bushwhackers whack? It's important to have people like that around. For the right wing, if you eliminate Clinton or Ted Kennedy, who you gonna blame for Huricane Katrina?

Well, let's speak for ourselves, people)
I am not attacking Bush. The thread is about the person u would've eliminate If u had chance, am I correct? This is how I got it, or is it, "Whom U would erase, exept Bush?" LOL
I have my reasons To hate this person. Very Happy
0 Replies

rewrite

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 03:12 pm
Question - What is the difference between a liberal and a puppy?
Answer -A puppy stops whining after it grows up.

Question - What is the only thing worse than an incompetent liberal President?
Answer -A competent liberal President.

Question - Who was the first liberal Democrat?
Answer -Christopher Columbus. He left not knowing where he was going,got there not knowing where he was,left there not knowing where he'd been and did it all on borrowed money.

Q: How many liberals does it take to change a light Bulb?
A: At least ten, as they will need to have a discussion about whether or not the light bulb exists. Even if they can agree upon the existence of the light bulb they still may not change it to keep from alienating those who might use other forms of light.

Q:How many liberals does it take to change a light bulb?
A:None. Liberals wouldn't actually change the light bulb, but they would show compassion for it by talking a lot about how terrible it is in the dark and more funding is needed to improve dim, 60 watt bulbs up to bright and productive 100 watt bulbs.

Q: How many liberals does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Let George Bush fix it! It's his fault it's dark anyway!
0 Replies

NoNe

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 03:14 pm
dragon49 wrote:
rewrite wrote:
One idiot "rapper declared on NBC: "George Bush doesn't care about black people," and said America is set up "to help the poor, the black people, the less well-off as slow as possible."

i wonder if said rapper was spending his spare time pulling people off the rooftops in NO. or donating his millions to the victims...

Kayne West, I heard his speach.
I disagree that goverment was hella slow becuase majority of New Orlean populations were black americans. It was not the choice, it is the weakness. there is a biiiig difference))))
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 03:14 pm
Oh, shove it somewhere, rewrite.

NoNe, I think you're missing my point. I have no more love for Bush than you. My point, however, was that, in a historical sense, you shouldn't be too eager to erase anyone at all, lest you open a Pandora's box, the results of which you can't possibly foresee.
0 Replies