Who would you erase from human history?

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 08:19 am
If you could erase the actual existence of one person in human history to create a more peaceful world, whom would it be?

My choice would be Abraham. Then his two sons wouldn't have been born.

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,258 • Replies: 138
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 08:49 am
My choice would be "Ugh", first caveman.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 09:38 am
B,

I'm afraid that the only way you might "create a more peaceful world" by eliminating an individual would be to takeout the ancestor of us all. Even without human beings, the world is not a peaceful place. After all, the concept "peace", as opposed to struggle for existence, is human.

In a way even the notion of peace is related to struggle and contention. Our ancestors found that Homo Sap was greatly over matched in speed, sight, smell, fang and claw. So we concentrated on cooperation and clever. That certainly helped against the beasts of the field, but other tribes were just as cooperative and clever as our own. Thus, began the eternal struggle between offense and defence, and ultimately the military arts.

Struggle and competition aren't without their compensations. Would our species really have been better off if survival had been less precarious? It might be argued that in the absence of struggle for territory and resource that we would still be nothing but reasonably clever hunters and gatherers. Why invent civilization if peace and plenty were perpetual? Of course, that's all material for science fiction. Humans live on a planet with limited resources, and our history could hardly be altered in any way that would eliminate our competitive drive and propensity for using force to settle disputes.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 09:39 am
my father
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 09:47 am
God
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 10:03 am
Bush.

Sorry folks, I sat here contemplating persons from Hitler to Jesus, from Mother Teresa to Heraclitus. Bush is the only one I truely feel personal angst towards (Hitler is a close second).
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 10:05 am
Marvin Swartz, I really hate that dude!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 10:27 am
Abraham Lincoln.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 10:29 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Abraham Lincoln.

you're a little late for that party.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 10:30 am
After much, much thinking on this subject...

BumbleBeeBoogie.

You with me, people?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 10:36 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
Abraham Lincoln.

you're a little late for that party.

Yeah, but we are still paying dearly for his mistake.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 10:39 am
Tell me why, ebrown.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 10:52 am
Asherman
Asherman, yes, I know. But would you approve eliminating the origins of the Abrahamic religions to reduce religious conflict in the world?

BBB
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 02:11 pm
One is certainly tempted to say yes to that Bee. The Abrahamic faiths have motivated more violence than any other religion I can think of, except perhaps the Meso-American religions that needed a bushel of so of fresh hearts each day to help the sun rise. Of course, with them we think it was considered an honor to have your heart torn out with an obsidian blade. If the Abrahamics hadn't come along, perhaps another monotheistic bunch would have taken their place. I guess I'm getting soft on the subject as I get older.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 09:55 pm
littlek wrote:
Tell me why, ebrown.

I wonder too.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 10:04 pm
Slappy
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
After much, much thinking on this subject...

BumbleBeeBoogie.

You with me, people?

Does this mean you aren't going marry me as you promised?

BBB
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 10:15 pm
Lincoln's goal and main accomplishment was to keep people who didn't want to be part of the United States from leaving at the cost of tens of thousands of lives.

The result was a deeply divided Union, and these divisions still plague us today.

Were it not for this mistake, the Confederate states could have the Christian nation they still are longing for, and the United States could build a secular Democracy with liberty and justice for all.

The problems we are wrestling with now-- seperation of church and state, stem cell research, the controversy of teaching science in schools-- would be easy to resolve had the Confederate succession succeeded.

I bet we would have avoided the current mess in Iraq had we been able to avoid the Civil war.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 10:46 pm
Wow Shocked

So Abraham Lincoln is responsible for all that. Not only did he change the entire course of the American destiny, but he is responsbile for today's war in Iraq. Little did he know Shocked
0 Replies

Pepito

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 03:38 am
Mohamed.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 04:30 am
John Wilkes Booth

If Booth hadn't have assassinated Lincoln, the abuses of reconstruction could have been avoided.

Rap
0 Replies