All you ever wanted to know about the fine art of flirting!

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 08:28 pm
Someday, I'm not sure when, but some day, I am going to have all the answers like Slappy does.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 08:30 pm
No you won't gustav. Every guy has to get its own answers,
and yours aren't that bad to begin with. Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 08:35 pm
I can flirt. Ask the prison guard.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 08:44 pm
I've brought up my friend Pete before but I think he's a great inspiration to non-flirters. The dude just won't flirt. He's a friendly guy, very smart, very interesting, but won't flirt. We worked in a bookstore together and I was constantly pointing out likely flirtees and giving him a li'l shove, but no go. He was just categorically against it.

He eventually met a wonderful gal through his bookstore work, became friends, became more than friends, and they've lived happily ever after (some 6-7 years now.) She's just absolutely perfect for him.

'Cause the conundrum is that flirters are flirters' types -- but non-flirters are non-flirters' types. Just a bit harder for the non-flirters to find each other.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 08:54 pm
I would love to flirt with soz but I muddle my intentions.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 08:59 pm
Well, we have msolga and I and dag and lilK as your basic nonflirter or serious when flirting types, or acting in a contrary manner as dag explained so well, when we are most serious, backing off - and that depresses ehBeth, who is a natural born flirt. I can understand that.

I also remember having my neck hair shimmy when a nonmeaning it flirt goes after someone I could care about.
Though the hackles slump down again, a second or two later, as I don't take it seriously either. Or ... whatever. I can admit to thinking people flirting their way around a room were as what they used to describe, un-pc-ly, as hysteric.

At this point I am phlegmatic on the whole thing, re people acting differently than me - though I still think flirting with intent is cool.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 09:07 pm
remember the merriam webster def'ns that were posted earlier

here's the key (to me)

Quote:
2 a : to behave amorously without serious intent

once you have intent, you don't have flirting

gawd knows what that thing is that is done with intent, but it ain't flirting - ask slappy - he knows about intent
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 09:10 pm
Not too far removed from loitering with intent.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 09:12 pm
<grin>
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 09:20 pm
I am so glad that I dont have to go through all this flirting ritual any more.
My wife and I expended a great deal of effort for about a year, pretending that we werent interested in each other.
Now when I chat to female persons of the opposite sexual gender, I can get to know the real person, and hopefully end up making another friend, after having a good chat/laugh, with both parties knowing that all the chasing stuff is definitely off the menu.
I reckon that my female friends outnumber my male friends 2:1, as they are not so wrapped up in the ego thing and normally have more money to lend.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 09:21 pm
LionTamerX wrote:
Not too far removed from loitering with intent.

I know a Scoutmaster that was arrested for loitering within tent.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 09:39 pm
I have never cared much what Mirriam had to say. I take it as one more point of view.

Sure, I know eye flutters and hip thrusts through history have been simply flirtacious. The piffle part has not interested me much.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 10:50 pm
My, my, my, my, my....

Bethie, we have much work to do here.

First of all, you non-flirters are missing out on all the fun. It isn't that hard...just be your natural, friendly, funny self and throw in a few winks and touches for good measure. Compliment members of the opposite sex about anything they do right.

What's this about flirting without serious intent? The whole fun is in trying to figure out whether there is any serious intent! If there's not at least a glimmer of interest, it's not good flirting! You want them to think about you for hours or days afterward.

If you're a woman flirting with a man, don't act stupid. Stupid isn't sexy, except to men who aren't worth flirting with anyway. If you're a man flirting with a woman, you REALLY don't want to act stupid! Women are always attracted to intelligence.

The best flirting makes the other person think you've noticed something singularly attractive in them that everyone else has missed. It leaves them feeling high. Which is, perhaps, the best reason of all for flirting.

Now. Any questions? Wink

--The Goddess
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 10:57 pm
No, good grief, eva, I have flirted way past your norms.

This isn't a matter of flirt fear, but of flirt discernment.

I don't have any questions.

(smile)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 10:59 pm
Hah, who has the beef, the piffle or the very serious?
0 Replies

Zane

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 08:34 am
Great discussion. I love women who can flirt and still maintain that aura of mystery...sometimes it's a fine line.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 08:49 am
I am way to shy to flirt....
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 09:01 am
Yea, so am I.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 03:34 am
I wouldn't mind learning a bit - for goods sake, I am only 19, surrounded by uni guys (and my "special person" is so far far away, and won't be back for a while)...i need the fun in this dull life. I am listening in!! The only ever daring (dare I call it that) thing I have done is play hard to get - and the guy doesn't even want to get me!! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 03:42 am
the prince wrote:
I am way to shy to flirt....

I know how you feel! Very Happy
0 Replies