How (and when) will the Government Shutdown end?

maporsche

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2019 05:20 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:

He will literally be siphoning money off from the military

Through no fault of his own.

That's VERY debatable.
coldjoint

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2019 05:24 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
That's VERY debatable.

And everyday more illegals sneak in. Why don't they just admit they wish to destroy this country?
livinglava

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2019 06:42 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
That's VERY debatable.

And everyday more illegals sneak in. Why don't they just admit they wish to destroy this country?

Yeah, and why don't they just declare the drugs at customs and see if they can get them in legally by paying a 10% tariff?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2019 03:10 pm
Judge upholds order the workers can be forced to work without pay.

Quote:
A federal judge declined to stop the Trump administration from requiring government employees to work without pay during the shutdown, rejecting the arguments of two federal unions and other individual federal employees.

In a hearing Tuesday, District Judge Richard J. Leon refused to grant temporary restraining orders requested the National Treasury Employees Union, the National Air Traffic Controllers Association, and a group of individual federal employees. The unions argued that the government could not force employees deemed “essential” to work without pay during the shutdown.

Lean declined to grant the orders, saying they would “create chaos and confusion” in an already fraught environment.

“It’s hard not to empathize with the plaintiffs,” Leon said, adding that “the judiciary is not, and will not, be leverage in the internal struggle between the branches of government.”
coldjoint

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2019 03:42 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
A federal judge declined to stop the Trump administration from requiring government employees to work without pay during the shutdown, rejecting the arguments of two federal unions and other individual federal employees.

Quote:
On August 5, following the PATCO workers' refusal to return to work, Reagan fired the 11,345 striking air traffic controllers who had ignored the order, and banned them from federal service for life. ... PATCO was decertified by the Federal Labor Relations Authority on October 22, 1981.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1&q=reagan+fires+air+traffic+controllrs
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2019 07:36 pm
@Olivier5,
My father and I were just talking about Quebec's last run at separation and how the Innu stopped them rather effectively Smile
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 03:19 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
The question is how it will end, I am asking for political analysis beyond the normal name-calling and mud throwing.
I really have no idea, but I am pretty sure that the left will not get DACA unless Trump also gets his wall.
oralloy

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 03:20 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:
McConnell is a big boy. He needs to pull on his trousers, stand up and march into the Oval Office and make clear to the President, that he must let this go. Accept that at present he is only making matters worse for himself, not just the millions of the nation. Trump only seems to understand what he wants and what will make him look bad. Put together an imagery of how bad, he'll start to fold.
Tell him the wall will be negotiated for the next budget.
I perceive no need for McConnell to do this.

I question whether he perceives such a need.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 03:21 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
One side sincerely believes that the border wall is immoral, the other side believes it is necessary for our security.
The left doesn't think the wall is immoral. They just want to fight with Trump due to childish spite.

If the left once again pointlessly gives up an opportunity to get DACA passed, they are very foolish and self destructive.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 03:22 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I want to ask your opinion Coldjoint...

Some conservatives are saying it is dangerous to give a president the ability to declare a national emergency to bypass congress in a controversial political issue. If Trump declares a national emergency for a wall, a future president might do the same for gun control, or climate change.

Do you see any validity to this worry? (I am asking about a future president... if you start talking about presidents I will ignore it as partisan blather).
Can I answer?

The courts will enforce the Second Amendment if a future leftist president tries to violate it.

Climate change, maybe. But that's not an issue that I personally care much about.
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 07:10 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

maxdancona wrote:
The question is how it will end, I am asking for political analysis beyond the normal name-calling and mud throwing.
I really have no idea, but I am pretty sure that the left will not get DACA unless Trump also gets his wall.

DACA is part of the 'wall' against migration. It promises people 'deferred action' if they turn themselves into the government to be deported. It basically just says that if you sign up for deportation, we will defer your deportation.

It is an anti-immigration measure. What's irritating is that the Democrats dress up their 'wall' as migrant-friendly policies. They are not. They are part of a system to allow human trafficking to occur and exploit people by threat of deportation whenever they are turned into police.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 08:32 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

One side sincerely believes that the border wall is immoral,

This confused me when Pelosi spewed it to the media.

How is a wall immoral?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 08:35 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Democracy is a form of representative government. Voters in Kansas vote for representatives who are pro-life. Voters in Massachusetts vote for representatives who are pro-choice. Which of these voters are "right" about abortion is irrelevant (if there even is an absolute right and wrong). Voters don't elect politicians who are going to defy them... why would they? I vote for people who agree with me on the issues, and I vote for people who will stand firm.

Mitch McConnell isn't even allowing a vote in the Senate on re-opening the government. His constituents would be angry at him if he did.

I agree with McConnell's actions and I vehemently oppose Pelosi's actions.
maporsche

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 09:47 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

I agree with McConnell's actions and I vehemently oppose Pelosi's actions.

You vehemently oppose her actions of...... trying to reopen most of the government and have actual legislative sessions on the border wall with the NEW Senate and the NEW House without having a metaphorical gun against her head and without holding the 800,000 workers who aren't getting paid hostage?

Are those the actions you vehemently oppose?

You can probably understand why Pelosi doesn't like being in the situation of dealing with a shutdown caused by a Republican house BEFORE she took control of that house, right?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 09:55 am
@McGentrix,
I have trouble squaring this opinion, and the one that wrote this "I am very disapointed" thread.

You two the same person?

https://able2know.org/topic/491906-1
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 10:26 am
@McGentrix,
Putting aside the partisan political fight, which of Pelosi's actions do you oppose? Or better to ask, which of her her actions would you oppose of they were being done if the rolea were reversed and this was a republican politician pushing back against a policy pushed by a democratic president.

Peolosi has zero constitutional responsibility to go along with the president. The Congress makes the budget based on the legislative process.

If the roles were reversed... I may want the Democrats to win, but I am pretty sure I would be honest enough to admit when the Republicans have the moral high ground.

In this case, the Democrats have public support and the moral high ground.
maporsche

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 10:38 am
Donald Trump

Tweet from 11/8/2013
Quote:
Leadership: Whatever happens, you're responsible. If it doesn't happen, you're responsible.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 10:40 am
Donald Trump in 2013

Quote:
Problems start from the top and have to get solved from the top. The President is the leader and he's got to get everybody in the room and he HAS to lead.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 10:43 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Peolosi has zero constitutional responsibility to go along with the president.

She has 0 responsibility to protect the citizens and the sovereignty of this country? That is what he president is clearly trying to do. She is willfully ignoring all the deaths, all the rapes and sexual assaults, the deadly DUI's, and the identity theft by illegals. If there is any moral ground it is not her or the Democrats who have it.
maporsche

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 10:51 am
@coldjoint,
Gosh, IF ONLY you were this outraged from 1/20/2017 to 1/2/2019.

I mean, if the outrage was as big for those TWO YEARS as it's been for these two WEEKS then you guys may have actually gotten somewhere....or you know, had some integrity left.

Bullshit artists, all of you.