Can Anyone Help Me? My Parents Smoke Pot!! i NEED Advice!!

sozobe

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 08:58 pm
That was some of Phoenix's earliest advice, Reyn.

I agree that the flippancy was unncecessary, and my overriding advice is the same as Phoenix's, that if she is this concerned, she should talk to someone about it -- grandparents are a nice idea, a professional otherwise.

However, I also don't think that the hyperbole that she exhibits here is necessarily warranted. The stuff about going to hell etc. is just rather over the top -- and I'm not even someone who has ever smoked pot.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 09:20 pm
I personally think she's making a big deal out of nothing. If her parents are good to her, then I don't see the problem. What I do see in the world of today is children trying to control their parents and that is a major problem.
Her parents are 2 grown adult who provide for her and treat her well, so she should focus on her own life and stop sweating the little stuff.
Pot may be illegal in most states, but so is jay walking.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 08:26 am
Reyn, I'm not sure if I was included in your 'flippant' group, but I might have been. It disturbed me that her original post seemed to be more about her image being tarnished than anything else.

Quote:
For quite awhile now, i know that my parents smoke pot. Its really hard for me because i'm kinda your "popular prep" girl at my school. I found pot today above my refrigarator and i freaked. I'm not sure what to do. Do I call someone? Do I tell anyone? Please help me i have know idea what to do!!!!! Crying or Very sad

Helpless is obviously very young, only 13, and your advice to her was sincere and paternal. I agree that turning to the internet for support is risky and I hope she does get some IRL support. On the other hand, I think the tone of her opening post is what precipitated some of the flippancy.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 09:10 am
Has anyone even remotely considered that this poster is shining us?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 09:11 am
No
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 09:15 am
I did, and especially thought so with that other one. (Pothead friends? Where did they come from if it's like so awful?) Sounded like propaganda to me. But who knows, and I always hate the idea of being suspicious of someone who might actually be sincere.

I was a total drama queen at 13. ;-)

How's it going now, helplessteen?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 09:25 am
Yeah, I did think about it for a few when I read the other thread, but I like to give the benefit of the doubt.

Very familiar though.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 05:34 pm
J_B wrote:
Reyn, I'm not sure if I was included in your 'flippant' group, but I might have been.

No, you weren't, but at this point I don't think that matters.

I have strong views on certain aspects associated with this thread, but I'm not going to air them here. There would be no point, as it would turn into a debate. I hate debate.

My concern was just that this young teen got the proper help that I think she needs. That's it...
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 07:06 pm
i don't think i've ever heard of, met or known a 13 yr old that would complain about their parents smoking pot. sounds like bs to me.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 11:31 pm
Hey Mikey :-D
0 Replies

helplessteen

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 06:47 pm
it might be BS to you but its not to me!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 07:25 pm
Just because adults disagree with you doesn't mean that the adults are wrong.

There are more things on heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
0 Replies

in side sanity

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 05:29 pm
dont worry so much
helplessteen wrote:
POT IS AWFUL BECAUSE IT IS A DRUG-ITS ILLEAGAL-YOUR BREAKING THE LAW! YOU'LL GO TO HELL!! I WANT TO SEE MY PARENTS IN HEAVEN BUT I WILL NEVER GET TO BECAUSE MY PARENTS ARE POTHEADS!! AN I HAVE TOLD THEM ABOUT IT SEVERAL TIMES JUST NOT THIS TIME! THATS WHY I NEEDED ADVICE!!

first of the only reason pot is illegal is because the government cant put a tax on it, its so easy to make, this is why alcohol is legal because of its difficulty to make so they can tax it, secondly smoking pot will not send you to hell, its not hurting anyone else but them selves and does no more damage then cigarettes. My dad smoked pot and I never knew about it until I was 11, he never seemed like the person to do it and I believed him that he wouldn't because he cared to much about me and my sisters future, now I've used pot and know that its basically something people do to make themselves happier then they really are, I know these things because I grew up in Maine and its common for people to do this because it's boring their. I know now that pot does not really help and I no longer do it because my father wanted me to be like him and not smoke, but when I found out he did I didn't know what to do, I didn't know whether I should confront him or just leave it be. I choose to talk it out with him. I asked not to talk as father and son but as friends. he explained to me what was happening in his life and why he was doing it, going blind in his left eye, having a double hernia, and not being able to work anymore made him depressed. I helped as best as I could for as long as I could to keep him happy, but three years later he committed suicide because of the depression. I'm seventeen now and live with my mom in Florida and never regret the time I had with him, he was full of love and cared so much about every living thing, and smoking pot didn't make him a bad person. People make mistakes, this doesn't mean that if someone does something wrong that they are going to hell, all it means is that it's another road bump in life of many to come.
0 Replies

jstokes320

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:46 pm
girl with pot smoking parents
WOW!!! I cannot believe the stuff these people are telling you-to lay off your parents-it is okay-no biggie, etc. All you condoning it have problems telling a 13 year old girl it is okay. It isn't. No disrespect to the person who's father committed suicide because of depression, but did you know that pot can cause severe depression which can lead to suicide???? No, it doesn't make him a bad person, it was just something he did to soothe his depression, but in reality it was probably the cause and made it worse. And to the one that said your parents won't go to hell because of it-yes you may be right, God is very forgiving. But the bible does say not to do anything that alters your state of thinking because then the "devil" can "get in" i.e., your more apt to doing something you shouldn't than if you had a sound mind. And don't even try the saying "they drank in the bible-that alters your mind" Yes they drank wine, but it wasn't fermented.
Now, to the young lady... It is true that if you told, the state would get involved and your life would be much worse. You are probably better not saying anything since it sounds like you are in a loving home. Your parents will continue to deny it because they are ashamed. They are ashamed because they love you and they know you look up to them. Unfortunately, some things our parents do, we just have to realize are mistakes and not repeat the cycle ourselves. The reason I wrote was because I'd hate to think these "pro pot" people convinced you that it was okay and no big deal. They obviously smoked too much themselves Laughing
0 Replies

helplessteen

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 07:39 pm
thanks jstokes- i think i'll just live with it but whatever happens, happens. I can't stop it. MY mom takes Anxiety medicine and i found a packet of paper about depression.. but i don't think she would kill herself.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 09:52 am
helplessteen--

I'm glad that you are feeling more secure in the springtime.

You do seem to ferret out your parents' private affairs. Would you be offended if they searched your room on a regular basis? Or would you take this as a sign they were showing an interest in you and your doings?
0 Replies

danco

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 06:01 am
helplessteen
You listen long enough kid, you'll hear enough to drive youself potty!
Bottom line in all of this is: What your parents are doing is an ethical minor infringement at worst. What you don't know is their reasons for doing so which could be medicinal, psychological or stress related.

Maybe that is why they aren't sharing everything with you because they feel it would be wrong to burden you with their serious problems.
And just by the way you make a federal case of this issue, I'd feel the same if I was your parent.

Think of it this way. your parents do a lot of things things you don't know about, they have done things in the past you will never know about and they will do more in the future.

Leave them to their own decisions. At thirteen you need to concern yourself with your future more than their present.

Your challenge right now is to adjust and I wish you good luck and management because I know like they know, you can do it so easy if you try.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 06:15 am
Maybe they smoke dope because they like to get high.

Anyone considered that?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 10:17 am
Maybe they smoke cuz they have a kid who snoops through their stuff. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

helplessteen

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 08:14 pm
maybe you can shut up and LEAVE my disscussion i didn't ask for smart-ass replys i need help! OKAy! so i asked people for it!-ehbeth!
0 Replies