Can Anyone Help Me? My Parents Smoke Pot!! i NEED Advice!!

panzade

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 11:29 pm
Hang in there...let us know what's going on...this too shall pass.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 11:37 pm
Sounds like your folks are okay so relax about it.

Some teens have parents who get off their faces on booze all weekend and knock the crap out of each other (and the kids).

So you have parents who smoke dope. Well as long as they're okay to you and not driving under the influence and generally keeping it together just let is slide.

When this stupid prohibition is finally over it won't cause anyone to turn a hair.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 07:12 am
Quote:
I just want to help them in anyway i can but if their not willing then i'm hopeless and helpless.

No honey, you are NOT helpless and hopeless. It is NOT your job to change your parent's lives. What bothers me is that the entire issue seems to be upsetting you so much, and you seem to believe that it is your responsibility to change your folks. It isn't.

If you are, as you say, "a little rich kid", and your folks have the money, tell your parents that you are having problems, and want to discuss them with a psychologist. You really need to figure out why you are beating yourself up, over something of which you have little control. If you can't afford a psychologist, a school counselor will be helpful.

Remember, we may not be able to control things that are happening in our world, but we CAN control our reactions to them.
0 Replies

helplessteen

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 09:09 am
True..True..
0 Replies

helplessteen

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 08:25 pm
Well I looked today in the same place that the pot was yesterday. It's gone now, but I have no idea where they would have put it...So They know that I found it. This is actually the first time i've found it
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 08:25 pm
Why are you looking for it?
0 Replies

helplessteen

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 08:28 pm
I just want to know if its still there.. actually make sure thats it. Accepting that its real.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 08:32 pm
You told them you found it, I thought?

Again, as Phoenix has said really well, they are adults and have their own lives. You don't seem to want to know about that part of their lives, so the disappearance of the pot would seem to be a good thing.

Is this hysteria a byproduct of current anti-drug education? Why do you think pot is so awful?
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 08:36 pm
Damn... when I was in my teens I was envious of the kids whose parents smoked pot. They were the cool parents.

What is this world coming to ?
0 Replies

helplessteen

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 08:37 pm
POT IS AWFUL BECAUSE IT IS A DRUG-ITS ILLEAGAL-YOUR BREAKING THE LAW! YOU'LL GO TO HELL!! I WANT TO SEE MY PARENTS IN HEAVEN BUT I WILL NEVER GET TO BECAUSE MY PARENTS ARE POTHEADS!! AN I HAVE TOLD THEM ABOUT IT SEVERAL TIMES JUST NOT THIS TIME! THATS WHY I NEEDED ADVICE!!
sozobe

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 08:39 pm
Oh.

Can I ask where you're getting these ideas?
0 Replies

helplessteen

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 08:40 pm
school. news, books, magizines,movies, television, radio and other people.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 08:45 pm
"Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; that which cometh out of the mouth defileth a man." (Mat. 15:11)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 08:46 pm
School. Wow.

The hell part, too?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 08:48 pm
I'm curious about people who use pot who live in jurisdictions where it is not illegal, or where small amounts of possession are not illegal (i.e. Ohio and Alaska) - are they also going to hell? cuz they're not doing anything illegal.

Mixing scientific, medical, religious and legal issues together can be very problematic.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 09:45 pm
Helpless, your parents will not go to hell for smoking pot. There is nowhere in the bible that says that smoking pot will result in eternal damnation. Whoever told you that lied to you. It isn't in there, honest. You can relax on that part.

Yes, it's a drug and it's illegal. Your parents have chosen to use a controlled substance for recreational purposes. These days, if they get caught, the penalties are very minor for posession, unless they are selling or otherwise distributing. You are 13 years old. Chances are they've been smoking for a long time - possibly since they were your age. They are the same people today that they were last week or last month or last year.

This is a shock for you. I'm not sure why they are denying it - I don't think that's wise of them - but it's just something that you weren't aware of. Maybe you should try to talk to them some more about it. I don't think they're going to stop, but I could be wrong. This might just be something that you need to adjust to and live with, but PLEASE, stop worrying that your parents are going to hell because they smoke pot.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 11:36 pm
I know this seems like the end of your world, sweetie, but to be perfectly honest, I think it may just be your first major disappointment. In the years to come, you will be disappointed by other people you are close to, too. It happens to all of us.

The important thing is not to overreact. Once you have had time to calm down a little, I'd suggest you come right out and talk to them about it. They may not realize it's upsetting you so much...pot smokers can be rather dense when it comes to the impact of their habit on others. I'd just let them know how you feel about it and see what they say and do. Refusing to talk to them about it is not going to solve anything, it's just going to make things worse between you and your parents. Besides, you might be surprised at what they have to say for themselves.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 02:03 am
Whatever you do, don't turn them into the police. The cops have virtually no discretion in such a case, they will have to act. The criminal justice system is not a nice institution, it's clumsy, it's vicious, it lumbers around like a blind elephant striking everything within reach and once it gets started no-one can stop it. Sorry about mixing metaphors but if you think it's a good thing to tell the cops trust me it's not.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 04:28 am
goodfielder- I agree.

helplessteen -Please do NOT report them to the police. If you do, you may start a chain of events that eventually be very detrimental to YOU. What would happen if they have a LOT of the stuff, and they land in jail?

As long as you are being taken care of, and you are not being abused, please mind your own business. If you were being neglected or abused, that would be another story.

Eva is right. Over the years, as you grow up, you will find out that many people, whom you have thought a lot of, will turn out to be less than you expected. The realization of this, and the ability to deal with the fact that people are imperfect, is part of becoming mature.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 08:55 pm
Well, I've read all the posts within this thread and I guess I'm going to be the lone dissenter here.

First of all, I find it extremely sad that a child of 13 feels that she has to turn to the internet to find an answer to something very personally disturbing for her. It shouldn't be that way.

Secondly, I'm not amused by some of the flippant answers she has received here.

My wife and I have 2 adult daughters in their 20's. I have always believed that it best that parents try to live by example while bringing up their children. I was brought up by parents "the old-fashioned way", where you were able to have respect for them. Raising children is the most important thing you will ever do in your life, and with that, comes big responsibilities.

"Helplessteen", this situation that you have described is obviously very disturbing to you, but don't make it a practice to go to the internet for important answers like this. My first choice, if you have already thoroughly discussed this with your parents and gotten no satisfactory answers, would be to contact your grandparents. If possible, and if they live local, visit them in person. Next choice would be to contact them by telephone, or, if long distance, perhaps a letter explaining the situation and how it makes you feel. Maybe they can explain to their respective son or daughter that their child is reaching out for help and needs answers.

If that avenue is not available, for whatever reason, perhaps your family doctor can be of help. Others may not see this as a crisis, but I feel you need to talk to somebody about this, preferably in person.

Failing that, in the front of most telephone white pages, you may possibly find a telephone number for an official "Children's Help Line" of some kind. You can call anonymously. You need to talk about your feelings about this matter, as you seem very disappointed and confused.

I hope I have been of some help. Please seek genuine help and do not leave this unresolved.
0 Replies