BeeZarre

wenchilina

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 02:05 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Always be suspicious of someone who makes very detailed claims of fact with no citations, and then becomes huffy when asked to provide them.

by all means, feel free to dispute the apparent myths of the function of the cerebral cortex and more specifically in the case of terri. you dont even need to ' cite sources ' for me to debunk them Smile
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 02:17 pm
wenchilina wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
As a person making detailed medical claims about her condition, it is your responsibility, not mine, to support what you said. Are you unable to?

by your own admission you NEED to do your own research. my description of her current condition is as basic as one can get. it is by no means a detailed description.

It is a fundamental rule of argument that someone making claims of fact should be ready to provide evidence. To maintain that someone can claim any number of facts with no responsibility to support them is absurd. Your persistent refusal to provide any citation to back up any of your assertions about the case is suspicious.

wenchilina wrote:
brandon9000 wrote:
Why did you cut off most of my actual statement? Good way to win arguments.

the excess semantics you provided are of no correlation to the very real fact ' she is not dying ' is NOT interchangeable with ' she is perfectly healthy '.

Here is some of my "excess semantics" that you cut out when you quoted me:

Brandon9000 wrote:
Many people would agree that a disease-free disabled person can be called healthy.

wenchilina wrote:
Quote:
A health proxy has no authority whatever except to interpret the patient's wishes. At least that is true in NY. If you have evidence to the contrary for Florida, cite it.

again, by your own admission you NEED to do your own research.

Backing up your assertions is your resposnibility, not mine. If you wish to claim that the husband has the authority to decide to terminate her life, apart from her stated wishes, then provide some evidence to back up what you are claiming.

wenchilina wrote:
Quote:
You know as well as I do that I was responding to this statement of yours:
wenchilina wrote:
...makes me wonder about your capacity for understanding basic science...

And as previously stated physics is not neurology.

Thus far we've determined you're unfamiliar with her actual condition, the lengths her husband went to when trying to revive some function of the mind and FL law. yet somehow you feel you have the authority to challenge others opinions on the matters. riiiiiiiiight.

Anyone has the authority to challenge anyone's opinion. Do you believe otherwise? You have made numerous claims of fact and refused to provide a citation to support any of them. That speaks for itself.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 02:20 pm
wenchilina wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Translation: You cannot back up what you have stated.

translation : having a grasp on the details of this case to make a reasonable assertion on the matter generally makes for a sound argument versus tossing out ignorant uneducated claims to debunk others opinions.

To summarize where we are at this point, you are claiming that it is proper debating practice to toss out any number of statements of fact, and then resolutely refuse to support any of them with citations. Pretty much everybody knows that that is baloney. If you know so much, then why can you not support the tiniest particle of it?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 02:21 pm
Brandon!!

<waving energetically>

Seriously, that's four mentions of "persistent vegetative state" by me that you've completely ignored. With cites and all. Five now. Will you keep ignoring it? If so, what am I to take from that?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 02:23 pm
wenchilina wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Always be suspicious of someone who makes very detailed claims of fact with no citations, and then becomes huffy when asked to provide them.

by all means, feel free to dispute the apparent myths of the function of the cerebral cortex and more specifically in the case of terri. you dont even need to ' cite sources ' for me to debunk them Smile

I am not disputing or discussing any statements about the functioning of the cortex or any other parts of the brain in general. I am insisting that you provide a citation to support your description of the state of Terri's brain. Either support what you have said or withdraw it. You will not succeed in sidetracking or obscuring this line of argument. Support your statements or withdraw them.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 02:27 pm
sozobe wrote:
Brandon, I have said several times -- and as far as I know, have been ignored each time -- that she is in a persistent vegetative state, and in one post included a quote as to what that means and another quote about the thousands of times a year the decision to remove the feeding tube from people in the same situation has been made by loved ones, including times when loved ones have disagreed with each other.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1231310#1231310

So while I won't presume to speak for Wenchilina, I have already made a similar statement and backed it up -- but that didn't seem to be enough for you.

If you can provide evidence that she is not aware of her existence, please do so. It is my impression that there is by no means a consensus of opinion on this point, and numerous conflicting claims by people involved in the case.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 02:27 pm
Quote:
A persistent vegetative state is something different, "sort of like being in an awake coma," said Dr. David A. Goldstein of the Keck School of Medicine at the University of Southern California. The patients' eyes are open, they have sleep-wake cycles, and it often appears that they are interacting with visitors, which makes it very hard on families.

The brain of such patients is functioning only at a very rudimentary level, said Dr. Kenneth V. Iserson of the University of Arizona Health Sciences Center in Tucson. They cannot feel pain, express themselves or receive communication.

They may even have grimaces or smiles or other facial movements that look like they are reflecting emotions, but "there really isn't a significant relationship with the outside world," Goldstein said.

And the longer the state persists, "the less likely they are to come out of it," Keane added. Schiavo has been in this condition for 15 years, "and it is very, very unlikely she would wake up," he added.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05078/474107.stm

Quote:
A persistent vegetative state, which sometimes follows a coma, refers to a condition in which individuals have lost cognitive neurological function and awareness of the environment but retain noncognitive function and a perserved sleep-wake cycle.

It is sometimes described as when a person is technically alive, but his/her brain is dead. However, that description is not completely accurate. In persistent vegetative state the individual loses the higher cerebral powers of the brain, but the functions of the brainstem, such as respiration (breathing) and circulation, remain relatively intact. Spontaneous movements may occur and the eyes may open in response to external stimuli, but the patient does not speak or obey commands. Patients in a vegetative state may appear somewhat normal. They may occasionally grimace, cry, or laugh.

http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/921394859.html

Quote:

http://www.reason.com/links/links102303.shtml

That last one has a lot of links to other citations, itself.
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 02:30 pm
brandon

you're welcome to maintain long winded diatribes about ' sources ' to detract from the fact you cannot dispute very real FACTS of the case - to detract from the fact you're as previously stated obviously completely unfamiliar with the details of the case itself both medically and legally. however, why not use the time you've spent regurgitating irrelevant sermons on ' sources ' and actually do some research on the medical and legal aspects of the case.

go ahead, dispute my claims.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 02:34 pm
in my humble opinion, the conflict centers not around what terri schiavo wanted for herself, but other folk's religious needs and political manuvering to cull the votes of those people. that many of the politicians involved became politicians simply to advance religious agendas becomes clearer every day to me.

make no mistake, the fundamental right sees this event as nothing less than yet another step on the road to over turn roe v. wade.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 02:35 pm
wenchilina wrote:
brandon

you're welcome to maintain long winded diatribes about ' sources ' to detract from the fact you cannot dispute very real FACTS of the case - to detract from the fact you're as previously stated obviously completely unfamiliar with the details of the case itself both medically and legally. however, why not use the time you've spent regurgitating irrelevant sermons on ' sources ' and actually do some research on the medical and legal aspects of the case.

go ahead, dispute my claims.

Sure. You have made numerous alleged statements of fact here and steadfastly refused to provide a supporting citation for any of them. It is obvious that it is improper to post facts in a debate and then refuse to provide any support for any of them. What you are doing now, is called misdirection, and I doubt it will fool many people.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 02:37 pm
Brandon - are you ever going to acknowledge what sozobe has posted?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 02:38 pm
Just saw your edit, Brandon.

Which point?

PVS is pretty straightforward. If she is in a persistent vegetative state, all the rest of it follows. She does not have cognitive neurological function. She does not care if she is dead or alive.

There are varying claims as to whether she is, in fact, in a persistent vegetative state. That has been the crux of the waves of court cases. There are doctors who say she is not. There are more doctors -- and more authoritative ones -- who say she is.

I will go back to my original quote on this (and I'd still like your reasoning on why this point was repeatedly ignored by you while you saw fit to berate Wenchilina at length for doing what I did right away):

Quote:
Judge Greer accepted the testimony of doctors who said Ms. Schiavo, 41, is in a "persistent vegetative state," meaning damage to her cerebral cortex has made her incapable of emotion, memory or thought.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/18/national/18schiavo.html
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 02:42 pm
sozobe wrote:
...I will go back to my original quote on this (and I'd still like your reasoning on why this point was repeatedly ignored by you while you saw fit to berate Wenchilina at length for doing what I did right away):

Quote:
Judge Greer accepted the testimony of doctors who said Ms. Schiavo, 41, is in a "persistent vegetative state," meaning damage to her cerebral cortex has made her incapable of emotion, memory or thought.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/18/national/18schiavo.html

I am berating Wenchilina for being a charlatan. Unlike you, she has steadfastly refused to provide citations for any of her assertions, no matter how many times requested to do so, and what that means is pretty clear. Judge Greer to the contrary, there have been numerous claims by people involved in this case that TS is, in fact, quite reactive to her environment and the people around her.
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 02:46 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Unlike you, she has steadfastly refused to provide citations for any of her assertions, no matter how many times requested to do so, and what that means is pretty clear.

the sources echo everything i've stated. info that you could've googled in a matter of seconds.

Quote:
Judge Greer to the contrary, there have been numerous claims by people involved in this case that TS is, in fact, quite reactive to her environment and the people around her.

Piping hot irony on your part.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 02:53 pm
Well, Brandon, can you provide some credible evidence then? Because obviously there are people who would want to think that. The sources I cited said that what "evidence" has been presented is still within the PVS parameters. Going by the clinical definitions I've found various places, that makes sense.

It's not just Judge Greer.

Meanwhile, "charlatan"? I mean, "charlatan"?

As Wenchilina says, the sources echo everything she says. That doesn't jibe very well with "charlatan."
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 02:58 pm
it's clear he, even after your very straightforward link, does not understand her condition as evidenced by:

Quote:
TS is, in fact, quite reactive to her environment and the people around her
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 04:57 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
I welcome goverment interference in private life when the issue is whether to kill someone or not. Seems appropriate and reasonable.

Unless that person is already dead, Ticomaya. And that's where the absurdity lies. How can a brain dead individual being kept alive by life support testify before Congress?

She can't. But she can can be used as a political prop to rouse the anti-abortion, pro-life nutjobs into a frenzy, and it looks like they nabbed you as well.

Which makes this whole fiasco seem quite inappropriate and completely unreasonable.

Bill Frist has obviously chimed in on the matter, but we all know where his expertise lies; medical disinformation:

http://movies.crooksandliars.com/FristBiden.wmv

George: You're a doctor. Do you think tears and sweat can transmit HIV"
Frist; I don't know...I can tell you..
George: You don't know?
Frist; I can tell you things like,like..condoms..
George: You believe that tears and sweat might be able to transmit aids?

Yes, we can certainly all rely on the good doctor and his expertise in medicine to make a concise and thorough examination of the issues at hand:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A48119-2005Mar18.html

It is not every day that a high-profile physician relies on family videotapes to challenge the diagnosis of doctors who examined a severely brain-damaged patient in person.

Some medical professionals questioned the appropriateness of Frist challenging court-approved doctors who have treated Schiavo. "It is extremely unusual -- and by a non-neurologist, I might add," Zoloth said in an interview.

Were Frist rendering an official medical judgment, she said, relying on an "amateur video" could raise liability issues. After 15 years, "there should be no confusion about the medical data, and that's what was so surprising to me about Dr. Frist disagreeing about her medical status," Zoloth said.

Frist is politicing for the 2008 nomination, and poor Terri Shiavo is an end to a means.

Nice job, neocons. Predictable ethics as usual...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 05:02 pm
In all fairness to the Repubs, the dems were absolutely as malfescent in their neglect of opposition to this horrid attempt by the repubs.
The actions on both sides of the aisle sicken me.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 05:15 pm
dyslexia wrote:
In all fairness to the Repubs, the dems were absolutely as malfescent in their neglect of opposition to this horrid attempt by the repubs.
The actions on both sides of the aisle sicken me.

I'm totally with you on that one.

I heard on Air America Radio the other day why Democrats don't address the larger issue of round the clock medical care for poor victims such as Shiavo, which could open up a whole other can of worms for Republicans who are hellbent on getting rid of America's larger social programs like Medicare, Medi-caid, and SS. If Republicans and neoconservatives are willing to go to such lengths (and money) to keep this women's body from terminating (because that's precisely what would happen, as her brain is already dead), then they should be paying attention to ALL the other cases which are similar.

Another issue that needs to be addressed regards properly expressed wishes by those who are terminally ill or incapacitated. A living trust should be specific in it's request for termination of one's life if that person were never to recover from a coma again.

But instead, the Dems are letting Frist and his fascist minions get away with politicizing this to it's fullest. Afterall, we have already heard the talking points coming out of the GOP regarding this:

ABC News has obtained talking points circulated among Republican senators explaining why they should vote to intervene in the Schiavo case. Among them: "This is an important moral issue and the pro-life base will be excited..." and "This is a great political issue... this is a tough issue for Democrats."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 05:34 pm
I've still been out and about, trying to figure out what the costs of care have been, and who's paying.

The original $1,000,000 settlement ($700,000 of it in trust), wouldn't cover the cost of care even at the lowest estimate I could find ($80,000/year while in hospice care only) - and disappears instantly at the higher end ($500,000/year business week link

Who's been picking up the slack?

The Business Week article/commentary is interesting for a number of issues it brings up. Given that it's two years old, I marvel that this whole area just doesn't get more coverage. I know that if I lived in the U.S., the costs (and personal exposure) would horrify me.

Quote:
It may seem coldhearted to bring up money -- but money is already the elephant in the room. Estimates have placed Schiavo's care as high as $500,000 a year since she collapsed 13 years ago. And she is no anomaly. A 1995 study estimated that 16,000 to 35,000 Americans are in a persistent vegetative state, meaning they have been comatose with severe brain damage for more than a year. The cost of their care, which can vary widely, adds up to $1 billion to $7 billion in any given year. "The hidden issue in all of this is how much our society can afford to indulge this desire to keep people alive no matter what the cost," says Dr. Stuart J. Youngner, chairman of the Bioethics Dept. at Case Western Reserve University.

Granted, the price of caring for the permanently comatose isn't much in the context of the $1.4 trillion the U.S. will spend on health care this year. But the U.S. cannot afford to pay for every medical need, and the Schiavo case offers the opportunity to open a public dialogue about a concept that has been taboo for too long: rationing health care.

Medical ethicists and health-care experts have argued for years that rationing should be part of the national conversation. "We've tried to sweep it under the rug," says Alan Meisel, a bioethicist at the University of Pittsburgh. "We don't have unlimited resources, and we ought to be thinking about where they can do the most good." For a start, we could admit that health care in the U.S. is already rationed -- albeit very arbitrarily. The 43 million uninsured, with their limited access to health care, present the most obvious example.

Quote:
Where does the U.S. health-care system bestow its bounty? Spending is heavily skewed toward acute care for the sickest, particularly the elderly. In a study published last year, the mean medical expenditure for senior citizens was $37,581 in the final year of life, vs. $7,365 for other years. Medicare spends 27% of its budget on patients in their last year -- and those funds serve only 5% of enrollees. This is far different from most European systems, where expensive treatments are routinely denied when the outcome is likely to be grim. In Belgium, for example, the final year accounts for less than 13% of the health-care budget.

U.S. clinicians tend to favor heroic interventions. One survey of 600 critical-care doctors found that the cost-benefit ratio of a given procedure was among the least important factors when making care decisions. More than 40% said patients in a vegetative state should be admitted to intensive care if they face a life-threatening event.

This approach may fly in the face of what the public wants. Dr. Ezekiel J. Emanuel, chairman of the Clinical Bioethics Dept. at the National Institutes of Health, notes that almost every surveyed tallied has found that 80% of the respondents say that they would not want to be kept alive in a vegetative state. Perhaps there's a message here.
0 Replies