BeeZarre

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 03:33 pm
Quote:
March 18 (Bloomberg) -- A Florida state judge has ordered that a feeding tube keeping alive Terri Schiavo, a brain-damaged woman who collapsed 15 years ago, can be removed on the same day that two U.S. government committees ordered the woman and her husband to appear at hearings later this month.

Judge George Greer denied a request by U.S. House attorneys to delay the tube's removal, hours after another state judge temporarily blocked the order to remove it pending a review of legal issues, the Associated Press said.

Greer had ordered Schiavo's feeding tube removed at 1 p.m. local time today. The woman suffered severe brain damage in 1990 when her heart stopped beating because of a chemical imbalance, and she has spent most of the past 15 years unable to care for herself.

bloomberg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 03:37 pm
Quote:
(03-18) 12:58 PST Pinellas Park, Fla. (AP) --

Doctors removed Terri Schiavo's feeding tube Friday despite an extraordinary, last-minute push by Republicans on Capitol Hill to use the subpoena powers of Congress to keep the severely brain-damaged woman alive.

Schiavo's family issued a statement on their Web site confirming that the tube had been disconnected. It is expected that it will take one to two weeks for Schiavo to die, provided no one intercedes and gets the tube reinserted.

link
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 03:46 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
so then i guess the government can intrude "the sanctity of marriage".

it's not logical to on one hand say that marriage is between "one man and one woman", and, that it is such a precious state of being that it must be defended against all attacks by the government...

only to then...

insist that the government turn around and attack the very state of being that exists between "the one man and one woman".

then the statement becomes "the sanctity of marriage between one man and one woman, their respective parents, their children, their religious leader, his flock, other leaders and their flock, local politicians, state politicians, national politicians, circuit judges, state supreme judges, the supreme court (usa), all lawyers, all doctors, the media, millionaires, and, of course, tico and dtom"...

not much "sanctity" of any kind in that scenario.

Very Happy

Was that directed to me, DTOM? I've read it several times now, and I can't tell if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me, or exactly what you are saying .... but it might just be all the cold medicine coursing through my veins, right now ...

sorry ya got the epizoodic, tico. hope ya feel better...

well, it wasn't directed to you, but it was in response to your post.

the wording may be a little weird. but the basic idea is that if the whole thing about "the sanctity of marriage" needing to be defended by the government from external attack (such as gay weddings and polygamy, etc.), the "sanctity of marriage" also must be defended against attacks launched by the government.

michael and terri are man and wife. terri communicated to her husband that she had no wish to "simply exist" in a fully disabled state such as the one that has befallen her. as her loving husband, michael has the right and obligation to see her wishes carried out.

everybody else getting involved is simply butting in and violating "the sanctity of marriage" between this one man and this one woman".

people really need to contemplate the implications of allowing self serving politicians and religious leaders to interfere with our most personal decisions. it's not going to lead to anything good.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 03:56 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
... She is perfectly healthy ...

you have a very strange definition of "perfect health". Rolling Eyes

Do you believe that a brain damaged person cannot be described as healthy? She is certainly not on any form of life support. If she is not healthy, what disease do you claim that she has?

her brain is dead, man ! not comatose. d-e-a-d. the person known as terri schiavo is gone. not coming back.

that's not a philosophical or ideological opinion. it's a medical fact.

let the poor woman's body move on and join her soul in the afterlife.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 04:04 pm
I just looked up the judgment again. $1,000,000 total, $700,000 of that amount in a trust to pay for her care. Who's been paying for Ms. Schiavo's care these past years? I just got medical bills from the U.S. for one of my guys, $180,000 for the first 2 weeks in hospital, another $300,000 for slightly over a month in another hospital. $1,000,000 just wouldn't cover all these years of care.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 04:10 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I just looked up the judgment again. $1,000,000 total, $700,000 of that amount in a trust to pay for her care. Who's been paying for Ms. Schiavo's care these past years? I just got medical bills from the U.S. for one of my guys, $180,000 for the first 2 weeks in hospital, another $300,000 for slightly over a month in another hospital. $1,000,000 just wouldn't cover all these years of care.

pretty good bet it wasn't jeb bush, tom delay, bob dornan, james dobson or sean hannity.

pretty sure that none of them would trade places with her either.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 04:21 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

the wording may be a little weird. but the basic idea is that if the whole thing about "the sanctity of marriage" needing to be defended by the government from external attack (such as gay weddings and polygamy, etc.), the "sanctity of marriage" also must be defended against attacks launched by the government.

michael and terri are man and wife. terri communicated to her husband that she had no wish to "simply exist" in a fully disabled state such as the one that has befallen her. as her loving husband, michael has the right and obligation to see her wishes carried out.

everybody else getting involved is simply butting in and violating "the sanctity of marriage" between this one man and this one woman".

people really need to contemplate the implications of allowing self serving politicians and religious leaders to interfere with our most personal decisions. it's not going to lead to anything good.

Oh, I see ... kinda Wink. Thanks.

Unfortunately, a husband does not have a property right in his wife. <duck> It's for that reason that one is not able to auction one's wife on ebay. Also, one is not entitled to murder one's wife, merely due to marital privilege--- even if your wife said it was "okay." There are also laws that govern the transfer of a spouse's property upon their death, and the disposition is not left merely to the whim of the other spouse. So the right of a husband to do with his wife as he wishes is limited by the goverment's laws. Government has seen fit to regulate marriage, homicide, and intestate succession, and so it is not unreasonable for there to be government "interference," and judicial scrutiny, of these areas.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 04:24 pm
I am extremely distraught over just where the hell Hilary and the rest of the dem party is in NOT opposing Sen Frist and his cohorts for their heinous act.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 04:27 pm
dyslexia wrote:
I am extremely distraught over just where the hell Hilary and the rest of the dem party is in NOT opposing Sen Frist and his cohorts for their heinous act.

The Hildabeast is in the process of transforming into a conservative ... remember?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 04:38 pm
whatever Tico, I am in outrage over this episode instigated by Sen Frist and abetted by the dems. making Hitlery jokes is about your typical style.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 04:40 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
I welcome goverment interference in private life when the issue is whether to kill someone or not. Seems appropriate and reasonable.

Show me where the government has a compelling interest in this case.

The government has a compelling interest in determining under what conditions someone may be euthanized. It may well be that the woman's husband has an ulterior motive, and the law should protect her from this possibility. She is perfectly healthy and is not being "allowed to die" but rather killed. The government certainly has an interest in determining when someone can be killed, and how the helpless of society are treated.

The particulars of the case were resolved (I believe) in the state's courts. One might assume they are competent, and have had the rights of the helpless in mind.

Brandon9000 wrote:
There are many legal questions about this case that ought to be answered. Terri Schiavo has never been represented by council, even though she is the one whose food will now be witheld. Had her parents not existed, who would have spoken for her at all?

Again, one might assume that the courts have answered these questions. (Multiple times, in fact, as I recall hearing about this case on a number of occasions.)

Brandon9000 wrote:
Asking the question which the poster did, in and of itself makes me wonder about the poster's capacity for empathy.

As for empathy, I happen to empathize with the husband in this case.

As for Frist, DeLay, et. al., it seems that this is a case of members of congress attempting to intervene in the internal business of a state. I thought conservatives were against that....
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 04:46 pm
dyslexia wrote:
whatever Tico, I am in outrage over this episode instigated by Sen Frist and abetted by the dems. making Hitlery jokes is about your typical style.

I don't know what you are outraged about, dys. Congress is not likely to have much effect in this case. They've removed her feeding tube. Buck up ... she'll be dead soon enough.

In any event, it's not your style to NOT be making jokes ......

(But of course you DID type "Hitlery." Hmmmm.)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 05:02 pm
Yeah I was just joking around, cause you know when some people get to congress they suddenly have the omnipotent abilty to over-ride 5 years of desginated expert medical evaluations/district courts/florida supreme court/US Dist court of appeals/US Supreme court because they really care about Terry Schivo and would never consider grand-standing with peoples lives. Cause like I said they know better. But you go right ahead with your rant about legislating from the bench by activist judges because now we have judicial fiats declared from the Senate Floor.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 05:24 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Unfortunately, a husband does not have a property right in his wife. <duck> It's for that reason that one is not able to auction one's wife on ebay. Also, one is not entitled to murder one's wife, merely due to marital privilege--- even if your wife said it was "okay." There are also laws that govern the transfer of a spouse's property upon their death, and the disposition is not left merely to the whim of the other spouse. So the right of a husband to do with his wife as he wishes is limited by the goverment's laws. Government has seen fit to regulate marriage, homicide, and intestate succession, and so it is not unreasonable for there to be government "interference," and judicial scrutiny, of these areas.

but that's the whole point of contention, tico.

it's not the husband's wish. it's terri schiavo's wish. during the interview with michael the othernight, it was clear that michael's "wish" was that this had never happened.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 05:31 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

it's not the husband's wish. it's terri schiavo's wish. during the interview with michael the othernight, it was clear that michael's "wish" was that this had never happened.

That would be crystal clear had Terri made out a Living Will. Since she didn't, we are going on Michael's word ... hence the problem.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 05:37 pm
Quote:
That would be crystal clear had Terri made out a Living Will. Since she didn't, we are going on Michael's word ... hence the problem.

which is why this case was reviewed and ruled on by courts beginning with the district court, the court of appeals, the florida state supreme court, the US Court of Appeals and finally the Supreme Court. The law was clear as were the judicial decisions.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 05:46 pm
I suppose Dys is right and legally, her husband has prevailed.

I wish they'd just lethally inject her rather than subject her parents to watching her starve to death over the next days or weeks.

They must be in agony.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 05:48 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
... So the right of a husband to do with his wife as he wishes ...

it's not the husband's wish. it's terri schiavo's wish. during the interview with michael the othernight, it was clear that michael's "wish" was that this had never happened.[/quote]

Ticomaya wrote:

i s'pose. when i think back to when i was 22 (the age at which terri's event occured), i have to believe that i was not that different in not really thinking much about the possiblity that i was anything less than immortal.

i was unmarried at the time, but my parents knew what my wishes were should a similar fate befall me. it never occured to me to write anything down. why would i? my family knew what i wanted. now, my wife knows and i know her's as well.

the government has no business getting involved.

and the whole thing has already been through two trials, complete with appeals and upholding of the decisions.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 05:55 pm
DTOM - are you 100% sure that he's being 100% truthful?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 05:57 pm
JustWonders wrote:
I suppose Dys is right and legally, her husband has prevailed.

I wish they'd just lethally inject her rather than subject her parents to watching her starve to death over the next days or weeks.

They must be in agony.

from what i've heard described, there's not going to be anything to watch, j.w.

her cortex has "liquified" as i 've heard it described. there's nothing there to register anything.

but yeah, i think the most humane way to deal with this kind of situation would be chemically. quick and sensitive to human dignity.

it's a very sad affair. but it's not right to keep her soulless body around for the comfort of others.
0 Replies