BeeZarre

JustWonders

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 06:03 pm
DTOM - I know what you're saying, but I can't think that way. I doubt her parents can, either. They love their daughter and you have to consider what they're going through.

I don't understand what her husband has to gain by not letting them assume guardianship and take care of her.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 06:04 pm
JustWonders wrote:
DTOM - are you 100% sure that he's being 100% truthful?

you can never be 100% sure anybody is being truthful, j. but the testimony of his brother and sister in law (being terri's brother and sister, that is) agree with his statement and that she had said similar things to them.

i am 100% sure though, that it would break my heart to see my wife in the same circumstance.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 06:04 pm
Quote:
but yeah, i think the most humane way to deal with this kind of situation would be chemically. quick and sensitive to human dignity.

Quote:
it's a very sad affair. but it's not right to keep her soulless body around for the comfort of others.

Inhuman is what it is and even more inhuman is for the congress to demand a dog and pony show with this human tragedy. I would gleefully accept mass resignations from every repub and dem that encouraged/abetted this political travesty to continue. Human dignity has lost this round to the sleeze of politics on both sides of the aisle. Empeach the fargin' bastiches I say.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 06:13 pm
JustWonders wrote:
I don't understand what her husband has to gain by not letting them assume guardianship and take care of her.

I know from being in situations where a loved one is dying, I would do anything to help ease them through their transition. I would have nothing to gain - other than knowing they are no longer suffering.

I think Ms. Schiavo's parents are extraordinarily selfish and unchristian. Thinking about their daughter instead of themselves would do them some good.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 06:26 pm
I think they just love their daughter and are probably hoping and praying for a miracle.

Such as this:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/02/11/earlyshow/main673281.shtml
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 06:32 pm
JustWonders wrote:
DTOM - I know what you're saying, but I can't think that way. I doubt her parents can, either. They love their daughter and you have to consider what they're going through.

what he has to gain, from what i heard him say, is that he will have respected his wife's wishes. as was posted earlier, and also from what was said during the interview, there's really no money to be had from this, nearly all of it went directly into a care "trust fund" and was exhausted a while back.

i think that it may be relevant to consider what tom delay, jeb bush et. al. may have to gain from their actions as well.

just something to think about...
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 06:39 pm
JustWonders wrote:
I think they just love their daughter and are probably hoping and praying for a miracle.

Such as this:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/02/11/earlyshow/
main673281.shtml

it appears to be a completely different situation, j. in that case, it seems that the person was in there, some place. in that situation, i too would be hoping for that miracle.
0 Replies

rainforest

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 11:02 pm
In my opinion, Terry should NOT be killed by anyone. Its murder. As long as she has a remnant of life in her body, she should be allowed to live. This is a non-issue.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 11:20 pm
She should be allowed to remain alive free of artificial assisstance.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 11:25 pm
But that woman that spoke for the first time in 20 years (link in my earlier post) couldn't feed herself. She still can't.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 02:14 am
DrewDad wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
I welcome goverment interference in private life when the issue is whether to kill someone or not. Seems appropriate and reasonable.

Show me where the government has a compelling interest in this case.

The government has a compelling interest in determining under what conditions someone may be euthanized. It may well be that the woman's husband has an ulterior motive, and the law should protect her from this possibility. She is perfectly healthy and is not being "allowed to die" but rather killed. The government certainly has an interest in determining when someone can be killed, and how the helpless of society are treated.

The particulars of the case were resolved (I believe) in the state's courts. One might assume they are competent, and have had the rights of the helpless in mind.
You asked me to demonstrate the government's compelling interest. Don't you remember? I did.

DrewDad wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
There are many legal questions about this case that ought to be answered. Terri Schiavo has never been represented by council, even though she is the one whose food will now be witheld. Had her parents not existed, who would have spoken for her at all?

Again, one might assume that the courts have answered these questions. (Multiple times, in fact, as I recall hearing about this case on a number of occasions.)

Or one might assume that this travesty of justice stinks from one end to the other, and that it needs to be examined. Your faith in Judge Greer is touching, though. Why did you not address the questions I asked you above? Please do so now.

DrewDad wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Asking the question which the poster did, in and of itself makes me wonder about the poster's capacity for empathy.

As for empathy, I happen to empathize with the husband in this case.

Why no. You appear to agree with the husband. There is a very pathetic, helpless person involved who will now be starved to death, and you show no sign whatever of empathy. One wonders if you have any.

DrewDad wrote:
As for Frist, DeLay, et. al., it seems that this is a case of members of congress attempting to intervene in the internal business of a state. I thought conservatives were against that....

There is a balance of power between the federal government and the state. That's a legal argument, though, and far less important than preventing a murder.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 07:18 am
Have you ever loved anyone more than anything else, Brandon? If you have, you'll understand the empathy that is felt for Ms. Schiavo and her husband.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 08:25 am
This is a hard case and I have been going back and forth on it so I can just imagine what those involved are going through, actually I can't imagine.

I have seen her on TV and it looks to me like there is some kind of life in those eyes and she is sitting up in a wheel chair.

I think it is a little out there though for the GOP to call her as a witness. Or for the GOP to be having a hearing at all about it. Isn't there other courts for the parents to go to without having to subject their daughter to this indignity?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 11:35 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
I welcome goverment interference in private life when the issue is whether to kill someone or not. Seems appropriate and reasonable.

The government has a compelling interest in determining under what conditions someone may be euthanized. It may well be that the woman's husband has an ulterior motive, and the law should protect her from this possibility. She is perfectly healthy and is not being "allowed to die" but rather killed. The government certainly has an interest in determining when someone can be killed, and how the helpless of society are treated.

The particulars of the case were resolved (I believe) in the state's courts. One might assume they are competent, and have had the rights of the helpless in mind.
You asked me to demonstrate the government's compelling interest. Don't you remember? I did.

DrewDad wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
There are many legal questions about this case that ought to be answered. Terri Schiavo has never been represented by council, even though she is the one whose food will now be witheld. Had her parents not existed, who would have spoken for her at all?

Again, one might assume that the courts have answered these questions. (Multiple times, in fact, as I recall hearing about this case on a number of occasions.)

Or one might assume that this travesty of justice stinks from one end to the other, and that it needs to be examined. Your faith in Judge Greer is touching, though. Why did you not address the questions I asked you above? Please do so now.

DrewDad wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Asking the question which the poster did, in and of itself makes me wonder about the poster's capacity for empathy.

Why no. You appear to agree with the husband. There is a very pathetic, helpless person involved who will now be starved to death, and you show no sign whatever of empathy. One wonders if you have any.

DrewDad wrote:
As for Frist, DeLay, et. al., it seems that this is a case of members of congress attempting to intervene in the internal business of a state. I thought conservatives were against that....

There is a balance of power between the federal government and the state. That's a legal argument, though, and far less important than preventing a murder.

I addressed all of your points; you may not agree with my position, but I believe I made it perfectly clear.

Your hypocrisy shine though, though. You are willing to force your personal views on others so long as it causes no inconvenience for yourself.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 11:39 am
ehBeth wrote:
Have you ever loved anyone more than anything else, Brandon? If you have, you'll understand the empathy that is felt for Ms. Schiavo and her husband.

Starving someone to death is not merciful and not much of a show of empathy. Do you know whether she knows she is alive and values her life?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 11:41 am
That's why I keep saying "persistent vegetative state", Brandon. She is in a persistent vegetative state. That means the answer to your question is no -- she does not know whether she is alive.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 11:43 am
DrewDad wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

DrewDad wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

DrewDad wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

DrewDad wrote:

I addressed all of your points; you may not agree with my position, but I believe I made it perfectly clear.

Here is one you did not address:
Brandon9000 wrote:

DrewDad wrote:
Your hypocrisy shine though, though. You are willing to force your personal views on others so long as it causes no inconvenience for yourself.

Every American citizen is allowed to participate in determining what the laws shall be, and every human is allowed to have a personal concept of right and wrong, and to argue it forcefully, without being personally involved. Are you suggesting that I cannot think it is wrong for a man to shoot his brother, sister, father, or mother, unless I am him? One could equally well say that you are foisting your views on somebody for advocating the starvation of a helpless woman who may, for all you know, want to live.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 12:01 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Starving someone to death is not merciful and not much of a show of empathy.

I can only think you don't have the experience of being with someone who is dying, and needs to be told it's all right to stop fighting, that it's all right to stop the pain and the suffering.

Allowing someone a dignified death is difficult, but it is sometimes the only way you can show love and empathy. Being selfish in this sort of situation is simply wrong.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 12:06 pm
If anyone here would consider it meaningful to continue living without being able to communicate, without being able to participate in life, to cause those around you to spend all their time and money to maintain your existence, then don't sign a living will. Simple.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 12:08 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Starving someone to death is not merciful and not much of a show of empathy.

I can only think you don't have the experience of being with someone who is dying, and needs to be told it's all right to stop fighting, that it's all right to stop the pain and the suffering.

Allowing someone a dignified death is difficult, but it is sometimes the only way you can show love and empathy. Being selfish in this sort of situation is simply wrong.

Your assumption about my personal experiences with the death of people close to me is incorrect. Not only have I been in that situation, but I have been in it very recently. I don't consider the term "dignified death" to be appropriate in the case of a healthy, brain damaged person who is to be denied food and water. Perhaps she is aware of her existence and doesn't want to die.
0 Replies