BeeZarre

bayinghound

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:14 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Arafat won a Nobel prize for peace ...... Laughing

Except it isn't funny.

There's a number of folks who were supporters of or actual terrorists who have won the Nobel Peace Prize. Not that it excuses it particularly, just to note:

2002 -- Jimmy Carter, under his tenure Alpha 66 remained funded by US, ... blew up Cuban passenger airliner, the "White Hand", etc. etc.

1998 -- David Trimble, of the Ulster Unionist Party

1993 -- Frederick Willem de Klerk, former head of South Africa, part of regime that uses terrorist tactics in Angola, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia (says it's in response to ANC terrorist tactics, but I'd label it and the extrajudicial murders carried out in South Africa proper terrorism, covert ops or no) AND Nelson Mandela (one of my all time heroes) had strong ties to Libya, the "Church Street Massacre"

1978 -- Menachim Begin, formerly key member of Irgun, responsible for blowing up the King David Hotel during British mandate, later PM of Israel

1973 -- Henry Kissinger, though personally I'm damned impressed by him, a supporter of Alpha 66 as well as many other groups like SWAPO

I wonder if there are any persons in here you think deserved the medal? Any instances where the described terrorism is not exactly terrorism in your view?

er, sorry for the highjack.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 11:36 am
revel wrote:
DTOM and others, I understand what you are saying.

Does it not seem that in a way modern medicine has advanced faster than we can keep up with?

hmmm. i've been thinking about this, and it seems to have come up on a few yak-yak shows as well.

that could be the case. but on the other hand it's my personal feeling that people haven't advanced spiritually as fast as they could. there's a fear of the unknown that is uncomfortable for a lot of people and that keeps them coming back to the old ways.
i don't mean that in a contemptuous way, just an observation, and one that applies to a lot of things.

revel wrote:
Maybe like someone said a while back, it will teach more people to have living wills--with legalized witnesses.

you betcha, briar. working on one as we speak (type? Laughing). my wife is fully aware of my wishes and is a strong enough person to make it happen. but apparently the "sanctity of marriage" is only a hard and fast rule when it comes to gay weddings. Rolling Eyes so if a piece of paper is required, she will have one.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 11:48 am
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
.... but apparently the "sanctity of marriage" is only a hard and fast rule when it comes to gay weddings. Rolling Eyes so if a piece of paper is required, she will have one. [/color]

I think the "sanctity of marriage" is called into question when one spouse openly cohabitates and bears children with another. :wink:
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 12:09 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
.... but apparently the "sanctity of marriage" is only a hard and fast rule when it comes to gay weddings. Rolling Eyes so if a piece of paper is required, she will have one. [/color]

I think the "sanctity of marriage" is called into question when one spouse openly cohabitates and bears children with another. :wink:

walk a mile in his shoes and then rethink it, tico. ya may come up with different pov. maybe not.

howz things up your way ? Smile
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 01:47 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

walk a mile in his shoes and then rethink it, tico. ya may come up with different pov. maybe not.

Bear in mind I'm not castigating him for seeking the company of another woman. I understand he's human, and we all have foibles. I'm merely pointing out that by doing so it can be argued that he no longer has the best interests of his wife first and foremost. His marriage to Terri is not the sacred thing it was prior -- thus, the sanctity of marriage goes out the window, IMHO.

Things are swell here. Working my tail off. Very Happy How's Ahnoldt's country?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 01:56 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Bear in mind I'm not castigating him for seeking the company of another woman. I understand he's human, and we all have foibles. I'm merely pointing out that by doing so it can be argued that he no longer has the best interests of his wife first and foremost. His marriage to Terri is not the sacred thing it was prior -- thus, the sanctity of marriage goes out the window, IMHO.

Things are swell here. Working my tail off. Very Happy How's Ahnoldt's country?

Don't recall from memory... anyone know if he sought removing medical intervention before or after he took up with this new woman?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 08:57 pm
Come on, people; get over it already.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 10:39 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Come on, people; get over it already.

If we're boring you, feel free not to read the thread....
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 10:49 pm
This is getting rather mundane...

But a telling quote:

Quote:

What does the sanctity of marriage have anything to do with this case when you've already stated that people are only human? In other words, people who are physically and mentally able to lead a completely normal life should do just that.

Neoconservative religious zealots cannot understand the duplicity of this situation, as they are now using the argument of adultery and infedility to make an unbelievably worthless point.

Those who are beyond the realms of human existence should be looked upon with mercy and compassion. Why would they want to go on? Dr. Frist saw to that when he was a practicing physician. But instead of arguing about the reasons, ramifications, and emotions involved with losing a loved one in such a way, instead we have this onslaught of "what ifs." What if the preponderance of overwhelming evidence was challenged by a few "Christian" neurologists (one who was "recommended" by a U.S. Congressman for a Nobel Peace Prize, and the other who is a Christian missionary and rarely heard of in the neurological profession)? What if the Governor of Florida used his executive powers in ordering police to sieze Terri and re-insert the tube at this most crucial time? What if pResident Bush showed up at the 11th hour and made some ridiculous statement about how liberals are murderers, and that neoconservative zealots are willing to have a completely inactive and dead body alive mearly because the heart is still beating?

Well, Bush probably won't do that. But the unbelievable neoconservative shill on the national media is stunning. And an issue like this only drives the voracious appetite of the national media, who more and more are looking for stories that will "captivate," "entice," and "inform" the public.

The media, who has been so fixated with such luminaries as Michael Jackson, Scott Peterson, Robert Blake, and all things worthless as opposed to REAL news, has only fueled this Terri Shaivo flame of hypocrisy and BS even further.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 01:51 am
speaking of bill frist, man of conscience, man of medicine; commenting on john edwards talk of stem cell research and how it might benefit christopher reeve;

Frist, who was a heart surgeon before coming to the Senate, responded Tuesday in a conference call with reporters arranged by the Bush-Cheney campaign.

"I find it opportunistic to use the death of someone like Christopher Reeve -- I think it is shameful -- in order to mislead the American people," Frist said. "We should be offering people hope, but neither physicians, scientists, public servants or trial lawyers like John Edwards should be offering hype.

"It is cruel to people who have disabilities and chronic diseases, and, on top of that, it's dishonest. It's giving false hope to people, and I can tell you as a physician who's treated scores of thousands of patients that you don't give them false hope."

ah, ahh, ahhh bullshiiiiiddd!!
0 Replies

chiczaira

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 02:35 am
I think the point has been missed--the political point--that is.

l. There have been great efforts to "placate" those on the far right.

2. There has been a consensus by most of the legislative leaders on the right that the courts' rulings must be followed.

I predict a far right campaign to keep Terri Schaivoas a martyr for theircause in 2006.I also predict that the right will use their "adherence" to the authority of courts to highlight the "importance" of appointing the "right"judges to the District, Appealate and Supreme Court vacancies in the next three years.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 12:08 pm
Question,
If Florida recognizes common law marriage,and if Michael Scviavo and his current lady have a common law relationship,isnt he guilty of bigamy?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 01:15 pm
Tearing the man apart won't alter the disposition of Terri's case. It soon will be over, though of course, vindictiveness can survive for many years.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 02:09 pm
I believe the folks in the other thread have indicated that Florida does not recognize common law marriage.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 03:04 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Tearing the man apart won't alter the disposition of Terri's case. It soon will be over, though of course, vindictiveness can survive for many years.

ya better believe it, edgar. when all else fails, call out the slime throwers. a very strange habit of some claiming to have the moral high ground.

i'm surprised that idiot randall terry isn't carrying the poor woman around and shoving her at the cameras, as he's done in the past with his operation rescue shenanigans.

but, i think chiczaira is right (as are you) that the stench of this abuse of a person's most private wishes will be floating around the christian right wing pep rallies for a few years.

luckily, the vast majority of american see it for what it is.
0 Replies

chiczaira

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 11:55 pm
Not only will Schaivo's death make her a martyr to the far right, the insistence that the judiciary must be the last resort in questions concerning legality and constitutionality( as it should be) will highlight the immenent struggles of the Bush Administration to have the judges they nominate approved without filibusters to the death.

If the American voter believes that cases such as the Schiavo case must be handled by the courts, I predict that stonewalling by the Democrats in the Congress vis a vis Bush's judicial nominations will cost them at the polls in 2006.

Most astute political observers know that the appointment of Appealate Judges and, a fortiori. Supreme Court Judges is crucial to future adjudications. Indeed, a Supreme Court dominated by conservatives could effectively mute any radical left wing moves a future president might wish to make.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 01:55 am
chiczaira wrote:
Not only will Schaivo's death make her a ** martyr to the far right

** a word that is popular with those other religious extremists that are also bent on destroying america.

sing it all together folks;

"ohh, theres a fox in the henhouse, there's a fox in the henhouse"...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 11:07 am
Quote:
The emperor's new robes
Ann Coulter
March 31, 2005

On the bright side, after two weeks of TV coverage of the Terri Schiavo case, I think we have almost all liberals in America on record saying we can pull the plug on them. Of course, if my only means of entertainment were Air America radio, Barbra Streisand albums and reruns of "The West Wing," I too would be asking: "What kind of quality of life is this?"

There are a few glaring exceptions. On the anti-killing side, to one extent or another, are: former Clinton lawyer Lanny Davis, former Gore lawyer David Boies, former O.J. lawyer Alan Dershowitz, Democratic Sen. Joe Lieberman, McGovern and Carter strategist Pat Caddell, liberal blogger Mickey Kaus, Green Party presidential candidate Ralph Nader and Rainbow Coalition leader Jesse Jackson, as well as several of my friends who are pro-abortion and pro-gay marriage but not Pro-Adulterous Husbands Who, After Taking Up With Another Woman, Suddenly Recall Their Wives' Clearly Stated Wish to Die.

Opinions about the Schiavo case seem to break down less on morals than on basic knowledge of the facts of the case.

There are a lot of telling facts, but two big ones are:

* The only family member lobbying for Terri's death is her husband, who is affianced to a woman he's been living with for several years and with whom he already has two children. (Today's brain twister: Would you rather be O.J.'s girlfriend or Michael Schiavo's fiancee?)

* Terri's husband has refused to allow her to be given either an MRI or a PET scan, which are also known as: "The tests that could determine whether Terri is even in a permanent vegetative state." (I believe his exact words were, "PET scan? MRI? What do I look like, a guy who just won a $1 million malpractice settlement?")

On the basis of these facts, Pinellas County Judge George Greer found that it was Terri's wish to be starved to death. She requires no life support; all she needs is food and water. If being (a) on a liquid diet, and (b) unresponsive to one's estranged husband are now considered grounds for a woman's execution, wait until this news hits Beverly Hills!

Despite the media's idiotic claims that scores of courts have made painstaking findings of fact over 15 years that Terri is in a permanent vegetative state and would have wanted to die, only one judge made such a finding. Other courts have not made any factual findings whatsoever. They simply refused to overturn Greer's findings of fact as an abuse of discretion.

Greer made his finding based on the testimony of Terri's husband that Terri said she wouldn't want to live like this - a rather important fact the husband only remembered many years after Terri was first injured, but one year after he won a million-dollar malpractice award and began living with another woman. (Maybe when Terri said, "I wouldn't want to live like that" she was referring to being married to Michael Schiavo.)

Supporting the idea that positions on the Schiavo case are correlated with IQ, on the pro-killing side is Rep. Chris Shays, R-Conn., who denounced the legislation granting federal courts jurisdiction over Terri's case, saying the Republican Party "has become a party of theocracy." Yes, you remembered correctly: The House passed the bill overwhelmingly in a 203-58 vote, and the Senate passed it in a voice vote also with overwhelming support. (Surely, if anyone would defend the practice of being on a liquid diet, you'd think Ted Kennedy would.)

Also on the pro-killing side are conservatives still pissed off about the Civil Rights Act of 1964 who are desperately hoping to be elected "most consistent constitutionalist" by their local Federalist Society chapters.

You can't grow peanuts on your own land or install a toilet capable of disposing two tissues in one flush because of federal government intervention. But Congress demands a review of the process that goes into a governmental determination to kill an innocent American woman - and that goes too far!

It's not a radical extension of current constitutional doctrines - even the legitimate ones! - for the federal government to assert a constitutional right to life that cannot be denied without due process of law under the Fifth and 14th Amendments. Congress didn't ask for much, just the same due process John Wayne Gacy got.

But people even stupider than lawyers have picked up on the vague rumblings from "most consistent constitutionalist" aspirants and begun to claim that Congress' action is an affront to "limited government."

Of course, the most limited of all possible governments is a king. We don't have that sort of "limited government." What we have is divided government: three branches of government at the federal level and 50 states with their own versions of checks and balances.

Or at least that was the government designed for us by men smarter than we are. We haven't had that sort of government for decades.

Alexander Hamilton's famous last words in "The Federalist" described the judiciary as the "least dangerous branch," because it had neither force nor will. Now the judiciary is the most dangerous branch. It doesn't need force because it has smoke and mirrors and a lot of people defending the moronic scribblings of any judge as the perfect efflorescence of "the rule of law."

This week, an indisputably innocent woman will be killed by the government for one reason: Judge Greer of Pinellas County, Fla., ordered it.

Polls claim that a majority of Americans objected to action by the U.S. Congress in the Schiavo case as "government intrusion" into a "private family matter" - as if Judge Greer is not also the government. So twisted is our view of the judiciary that a judicial decree is treated like a naturally occurring phenomenon, like a rainbow or an act of God.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:04 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
The emperor's new robes

Quote:
Ann Coulter

Laughing Rolling Eyes ... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Of course, if my only means of entertainment were RUSHSEAN HANNBAUGH radio, TOBY KEITH albums and reruns of "THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST," I too would be asking: "What kind of quality of life is this?"
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:04 pm
Laughing
0 Replies